myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Third World Conditions at Cabrillo Beach
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
joehardcore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2000 11:48 am    Post subject: Third World Conditions at Cabrillo Beach Reply with quote

O.K. so I finally break down and sail Cabrillo for the first time in a while only because nowhere else is blowing. I am greeted by the usual friendly locals and have a nice session for a few hours. But now its time to pack up and go home, right? I walk over to the public restrooms to take a piss. BIG MISTAKE. I suddenly find myself inside of what seems like a 19th century Turkish prison, complete with all sorts of fiendish naked criminal types showering off, leering at me from all directions and making lude suggestions in hushed tones. Being fluent in Spanish, I knew exactly what thier intentions were. My paranoia reached a fever pitch as I entered the room that houses the urinals, though, as I was met by three even shadier characters who would not stop staring at me! WHAT THE F*** DO YOU WANT, YOU BASTARDS! I screamed at them. Those toilet stall dwelling roaches got the idea that I meant business and they shuffled out in a hurry while mumbling the standard remarks about faggots and whores. Trying to find a place to step in this place is no easy task; and the strength of the oder of human excrement rivals any New York subway station in August. After contemplating whether or not to burn my footwear I walked up to a couple of lifeguards standing outside the station. Hey guys, can I use your bathroom? I asked them. No man, we cant just be letting anybody use our stalls. They told me as they gestured towards the place I had just been. Thats alright though, I know where Im gonna piss next time: all over one of those bright yellow Nissan Frontier trucks with the paddle boards on top.
spyder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2000 2:53 pm    Post subject: RE: Third World Conditions at Cabrillo Beach Reply with quote

yes I know the wonderful conditions down there. Although I havent sailed there for about 4 yrs, so it sounds a lot worse. I also had my truck broken into and stuff stolen.

Uh, why dont you just pee in your wetsuit? An old divers trick.
joehardcore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2000 3:41 pm    Post subject: RE: Third World Conditions at Cabrillo Beach Reply with quote

Listen buddy, dont try to trivialize my story by telling me to pee in my wetsuit like some sissy surfer punk. If you had paid any attention to my tale you would have noticed that I was already done sailing at the time when the urge to relieve myself became overwhelming. Im not about to just start pissing in my wetsuit right before I put it in my car for the ride home. Youll have to do better than that you little wiseass!
spyder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2000 6:57 pm    Post subject: RE: Third World Conditions at Cabrillo Beach Reply with quote

ok..theres a bunch of trees nearby..and McDonalds is right down the street.
joehardcore

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2000 7:12 pm    Post subject: RE: Third World Conditions at Cabrillo Beach Reply with quote

Let me assure you that under every tree in that God forsaken place is one or more vagrant/junkie types trying to consume more of whatever it is they are in a stooper from.The San Pedro McDonalds restrooms are probably even worse than the beach stalls and.... aw f*** it that place is just a complete shithole.
spyder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2000 10:30 pm    Post subject: RE: Third World Conditions at Cabrillo Beach Reply with quote

thats one reason I moved to the bay area. sailing is a lot better here..

I sailed Cabrillo for a number of years..I got fed up with the $6 parking fee and crummy people, very small rigging area, and a tight sailing area.

The gangs of san pedro are no fun either.

tough place to enjoy sailing.
jwajack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2000 4:27 pm    Post subject: RE: Third World Conditions at Cabrillo Beach Reply with quote

How about a more constructive approach: the Cabrillo Bathhouse, which used to be the Marine Museum, has been slated for repair for a number of years now. Indeed, it is my understanding that the City of Los Angeles has funds allocated to its remediation but has yet to act on it. (They do have a nice model and drawings of the repaired bathhouse in the refurbished SP City Hall on Harbor and 6th.) If you (and others) forward your complaint(s), perhaps in more politic form, to Mayor Dick, Councilman Svornich (sp?)and Councilwoman Galanter (who heads a committee that has jurisdiction), maybe we can get the City off its collective behind. There also is supposed to be an expansion of the grass area, etc. but those funds, as I understand it, are controlled by the County.

Note also that there are port-a-potties so you can avoid the inside bathroom. As for the shower, at most gyms people do shower in the nude, so it shouldnt be so surprising that people were showering in the nude at the showers at Cabrillo. The commentary, to the extent accurate, is problematic, but for the most part the non-windsurfing folks at Cabrillo are just hanging out with their families and friends. The fact that many are hispanic does not mean that they are gang members, or that they have any intent to harm you. As a resident of the area and 8 year windsurfer there, I have found it to be quite safe.
chrisschmidtwetekam@gmail.com

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2000 11:17 pm    Post subject: RE: Third World Conditions at Cabrillo Beach Reply with quote

Isnt Long Beach where snoop dogg lives? He gets funky on the mike like an old bunch of collard greens. I hear theres a lot of drama in the LBC. Can someone PLEASE pass me the gin and juice. Thank you, have a good day! POP! POP! POP! POP!!!!!!! Am I allowed to do this on television?
mriggs

PostPosted: Tue Aug 01, 2000 4:51 pm    Post subject: RE: Third World Conditions at Cabrillo Beach Reply with quote

You have to adjust you horse blinders just right when going to Cabrillo. If done properly and on the right day it can be a beautiful place - on the water. Unfortunately being on shore there is pretty spooky. L. A. county hasnt done anything for the wind folk in the 12 + years Ive been sailing there either. Im not sure of the types you where talking about but the restroom area was a deviate hangout a few years back at least. A week or so after having my car broken into one weekday there I was changing into my wetsuit when I noticed this guy/kid checking me out. I thought he was planning on breaking into my vehicle after I left so I asked a lifeguard to keep an eye out. He immediatly went over to the guy and justifiably abused him verbally. He told him to get off his beach and he did. Then he informed me the bj boys had been hanging out there lately. I guess the guy was hoping to get lucky. Not so that day.
joeyyyy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 04, 2000 8:53 pm    Post subject: RE: Third World Conditions at Cabrillo Beach Reply with quote

Gosh, I finally went there for the first time cause I was super hard up for wind and a friend was going there. so I went and after I got back home I felt and still feel that it would have to really blow hard there before ever returning to such a sewer, and would NOT be taking my car. I felt sticky and salted like a sardine. I might have smelled like one too....... the place totaly sucks.... Ill make the isabella comute or longass haul to the bay before going back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: