myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
opinions on 8'6"windance epoxy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swurfdog

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2000 9:22 pm    Post subject: opinions on 8'6"windance epoxy Reply with quote

Im considering buying a 1992/93(?) vintage 86 windance epoxy board in from a buddy who no longer sails. Id be using it for b/j on inland lakes and onshore wave sailing on Lake Ontario.
Any one have any experience with this board ?
Any info appreciated !
Thanks,
-swurfdog
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2000 1:06 pm    Post subject: RE: opinions on 8'6 Reply with quote

In that era I tested scores of boards per year for a magazine. The 8-6 Windance epoxy STILL stands out as one of the harshest-riding boards Ive ever ridden. It beat the living crap out its rider, I presume because it had no perceptible vee.

Theres nothing wrong with 92-93 boards -- some were among the sweetest-sailing boards ever produced, requiring mush less rider effort than many of todays boards -- but that one, and the AHD 8-5 with concave rails --were just rough riders. The AHDs problem was that its rails grabbed every little piece of passing chop and tried to follow it home, thus darted right and left faster that you could react, putting me in abject fear of breaking an ankle.

Both were fast, but neither was any fun at speed.

Mike \m/
spyder

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2000 1:21 pm    Post subject: RE: opinions on 8'6 Reply with quote

isnt vintage a sales trick for OLD?

maybe if its $50
jimlarsen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2000 2:20 pm    Post subject: RE: opinions on 8'6 Reply with quote

I ride a vintage Windance 810 glass board (Polyester)shaped by Tom Watson (I think it is an 87). I can ride it in anything above 18 mph winds. My other board is a newer Seatrend, but I prefer the older Windance, and spend 80-90% of my time with it under my feet.
jimlarsen

PostPosted: Mon Jul 24, 2000 2:23 pm    Post subject: RE: opinions on 8'6 Reply with quote

PS: In good shape, an old Windance is worth between $100 and $200 in the Gorge.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: