myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
7.5 V8 has no range

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
paulkenyon

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2000 7:50 am    Post subject: 7.5 V8 has no range Reply with quote

I am looking for advice on the purchace of a sail around 7.5m. My V8 seems to have a very limited range. In not much more wind than will plane the board (F2 280, 104l or Astro Rock, 125l)I find myself struggling with the sail, having to pull hard with my back hand. The center of pressure seems to shift all over the sail. Down haul and out haul do not seem to affect this in a major way. My stance is also messed up in the straps. I feel as though I an trying to peer around the mast, back leg straight, front leg bent when sailing this 7.5m. This is true on either board. Moving the mast base in the track has no effect on this. My 6.5 V6 on the other hand has fabulous range. I can sail it down to 5.0 before it distorts and becomes unmanagable. By the way, I weigh 150# and am 57. With the 6.5 I am also standing squarly in the straps as I am with any other sail I own. None of this straining forward business. I am told it cant be the sail. Sailing on the lakes in Vermont I need a sail with good range and, of course, would like to sail something, expecially something that big, that is comfortable to sail. Any suggestions?
jibes

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2000 10:23 am    Post subject: RE: 7.5 V8 has no range Reply with quote

I have to admit - Im not really a fan of NP. BUT, the 7.5 V8 is a nice sail. It requires LOTS of downhaul. I found it to be unstable when it wasnt sufficiently downhauled. Outhaul is more negotiable (neutral to ?), but min downhaul is actually a lot. Try downhauling to the third batten, and make that your MINIMUM. This is actually a very stable sail. Good luck.
paulkenyon

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2000 8:43 am    Post subject: RE: 7.5 V8 has no range Reply with quote

Thanks for the help. I have a Mistral Ventura (108, ~175l) and have sailed it once with the 7.5. It was nice but so slow I wondered, why bother. I need to understand better the relationship between board and sail size, fin size and type, too. Perhaps, if you have time, you would help me out here as well. My e-mail: paulkenyon@juno.com Thanks again for answering my qestion.
ptobias

PostPosted: Tue Aug 15, 2000 6:14 pm    Post subject: RE: 7.5 V8 has no range Reply with quote

I also am 150#, and sail on Vermont and NH lakes. On my old Astro Rock, I used a 7.4 as my most common sail, and it wasnt at all too big. That was an old 1 Camber Hood River sail, which was a lot less stable than the modern designs (I love my 8.5 98 VCool.

I dont think this sail is too big. You might try the other replys suggestion of a lot more downhaul. I always find that tuning these things takes a while. Also make sure you have a big enough fin (although that certainly wouldnt *directly* give you the problems you are experiencing).
coltj

PostPosted: Fri Aug 18, 2000 11:33 am    Post subject: RE: 7.5 V8 has no range Reply with quote

Ive just started using a new 7.5 V8. I agree it requires alot of downhaul and perhaps Im still not downhauling enough. What do you mean by downhauling to the third batten?

On what mast are you rigging your V8?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: