myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
STAY OFF MY SWELL
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2000 2:13 pm    Post subject: RE: STAY OFF MY SWELL Reply with quote

Doesnt prozac write well for a 10-year-old who obviously reads mostly comic books?

Mike
spyder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2000 3:30 pm    Post subject: RE: STAY OFF MY SWELL Reply with quote

you have right of way if you are
on starboard tack. thats pretty simple.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2000 6:35 pm    Post subject: RE: STAY OFF MY SWELL Reply with quote

On starboard tack ... AND sailing in a straight line ... AND not coming in from the outside in surf ... AND not overtaking another sailor also on starboard ... AND not just exiting a jibe onto starboard ... AND ???.

Mike \m/
spyder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2000 6:43 pm    Post subject: RE: STAY OFF MY SWELL Reply with quote

right on. I shoulda elaborated.
I think COOL & COURTEOUS are the keys, and general respect for others and the rules.
jwajack

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2000 8:28 pm    Post subject: RE: STAY OFF MY SWELL Reply with quote

Hes entertaining . . . so long as hes not sailing (or spewing) at your beach. Somebody is wound up just a tad too tightly. (Dont know if the moniker relates to actual use, but if it does, the depression seems to be under control, but perhaps its pushing things a little to far the other way.)
joewindsurf

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2000 9:11 am    Post subject: RE: STAY OFF MY SWELL Reply with quote

Prozac... Prozac... Prozac... He be needn Mo Prozac brudda.

Mix the Prozac with beer, it Mo Better.
stoffel

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2000 5:54 pm    Post subject: RE: STAY OFF MY SWELL Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

some people dont know what is the
starboard tack and what is the port
tack (me either).
For all the people who know where
the right and left hand is: If your right hand is your mast hand then you have
right of way.
Do you agree?
In the wave, thats a different story.

Stefan
spyder

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2000 7:36 pm    Post subject: RE: STAY OFF MY SWELL Reply with quote

starboard is right hand forward, port is left forward.
thesurge

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2000 4:41 pm    Post subject: IS THAT YOU STOFFEL? Reply with quote

If youre the one thats been sailing schweinebucht and pra for so long (weve also met in Capetown) wed like to know where are you know.
And teach these people how to be a well respected non-local all around the world!
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2000 5:58 pm    Post subject: RE: STAY OFF MY SWELL Reply with quote

I repeat ... starboard (right hand forward) has the ROW UNLESS hes not sailing in a straight line, is exiting a jibe (because hes not sailing in a straight line), and not overtaking another sailor. There are also ROW technicalities when overtaking from above or below, but I dontt know those nuances. I just try to give the other guy two mast lengths (mine plus his) so if either of us screws up or just wants to rip one off a lip, theres room. Dont forget, though, that anyone involved in a collision he had ANY way to avoid is still liable, cause Rule # 1 is Avoid Collisions.

And, as you say, things are different in waves (by custom, not by law) and to some degree in swell (by custom). In waves and swell in general, people riding the swell or waves expect to have some freedom to do so without having some straight-line slalom sailor barging through insisting on the starboard rule. Just try to give em room to do their curvy thing, and ROW wont even be an issue.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: