myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Cabarete Info???

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shank

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2000 8:49 am    Post subject: Cabarete Info??? Reply with quote

I am going to be going to the Dominican Republic on Business for 2 days in Santo Domingo and decided to take a week vacation while Im there. Will have to take a bus to Cabarete.
Any travel tips? Also any suggestions on Hotels and Windsurfing centers, instruction? Im an intermediate thats just getting his waterstarts down and getting into the straps. Right now Im leaning towards Vela, & Happy Surf Pool because they have F2 which is what I use now but Im open to trying something new. For Hotels, I would like to be near the centers, and since Im travelling alone, I would rather be around some activity than be secluded. I know, as Rosanne Rosana dana would say You ask a lot of questions for somebody from New Jersey Any advice would help. Thanks
beallmd

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2000 4:49 pm    Post subject: RE: Cabarete Info??? Reply with quote

we went there about 3 years ago. Had a great time. the sailing is good for an intermediate
most winds 15 to 25 mph. Went with Vela-good folks- but Im sure Bic or Nat Lelieves place is good also. Good fun at restaurants, beach, bars, windsurf places etc. We ate the food and water-no problems. International feel. My kid played with french, english, german kids etc while we ate with their folks. They practiced their english or we spoke in spanish- helps to speak a little of one of them.good luck.
143kac

PostPosted: Sat Jul 22, 2000 2:01 pm    Post subject: RE: Cabarete Info??? Reply with quote

Just back from Cabarete. It blew 29/30 days in June. im 195 pounds, 48 yrs old, been sailing 20 yrs. Sailed 15 of 17 days, mostly 6.2, then 5.8, then 6.7 and a few 5.4 and one 5.0 day. Tried out 12 boards at Vela. I always sail from Vela as I like the people, equipment, beach location vis a vis the channel through the reef and lunch places. I would recommend staying at Cita del Sol, check out their web site. its cheap, comfortable and near places to eat and drink. There is plenty of night life within a short walk, and if you need even more craziness, take a taxi to the disco in sosua. Many euros on holiday like to disco all night. Learn some spanish. drink the beer and rum. drink bottled water. have a meal at Mercedes Resteraunt and ohh la la.
learn to dance merenge and bachata. check out the local music. go canyoning and experience the island as columbus must have found it. read in the time of the butterflies by alvarez about the mirabel sisters who heroically took on the dreaded dictator trujillo. In my view, Cabarete is just behind Maui for sailing and ahead of everywhere for fun and culture.
Buen Viaje!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: