myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Any moms out there?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AngelaWoodall

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2000 6:52 pm    Post subject: Any moms out there? Reply with quote

I was just wondering if there are any other mothers out there windsurfing. I live in No. California, but it would be fun to hear from anywhere.
hwyeh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2000 5:03 pm    Post subject: RE: Any moms out there? Reply with quote

Sure...quite a few moms with young kids windsurf in NJ. We have to take turn with our husbands who are also our rigging slaves and baby sitters. But moms need to have fun, too!
AngelaWoodall

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2000 6:14 pm    Post subject: RE: Any moms out there? Reply with quote

I agree! How much can you involve your children in the activity at this point? My rubbing point is that with a fulltime paid job and a fulltime motherjob, leaving the kids (4.5/6.5) to sail takes more time away from them. But, like you said, moms must have fun too. Id like them to be more a part of it. What do you NJ sailing moms do?
tfeldstein

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2000 7:04 pm    Post subject: RE: Any moms out there? Reply with quote

Our kids are the same age (9/9/93 and 12/17/95). I would love for my wife to sail more; maybe aour kids could play n the beach!
AngelaWoodall

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2000 6:55 pm    Post subject: RE: Any moms out there? Reply with quote

I had a feeling that I wouldnt be the only sailing juggler. I never thought about letting the kids play on the beach - my girls would love to but they are crazy. I cant leave them for a moment. Well, are there any folks around the Bay Area (Berkeley, S.F., Santa Cruz, etc.)? Maybe there is a parent co-op in this.
In the meantime, good sailing and juggling.
hwyeh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2000 1:19 pm    Post subject: RE: Any moms out there? Reply with quote

As a mom with two kids (2 and 4) and a very stressful full time job, I really look forward to go windsurfing. We bring our kids to the bay side where we sail to play with sand and their kiddy BIC board (w/ 1.2m and 1.7m sails which they dont use). We set up a tent and put a shortie on them so they dont get burned or feel cold. There is also a potty for them just in case (so much to pack, so little time to play).
Sometime, grandma is nice enough to pick them up from the beach and spend a few hours with them, so we can sail together. But with our luck, that will be the day with no wind!
We both carry a water-proof walkie talkie on us so that we can tell if there is trouble, any change in wind condition, need to switch equipment (or just to remind the other sailor to get in). It is extremely handy, makes me feel safer to sail without my husband at my side.
Our best time is the yearly trip to Outer Bank, NC where we rent a bayfront house and bring grandma to babysit. The kids can see us sailing, we can run in if they need us, and we all love it! There is no need to rig or derig, pack or unpack the car. We always rent the same house so the kids can look forward to something they know.
It is not easy to windsurf with kids. Our skills at best have been unprogressive in the last 5 years. We are also out of shape, lack of sleep and stressed out. A few minutes or hours on the water is better than none. It also give us a different topic to talk about other than just kids. At the end of the day, with aching muscles and burning lungs, I look at my beach bum kids and a pile of things to unpack and wash.....it is all worth the trouble.
On the second thought, there are quite a few windsurfing couples with young kids at our sail site, wouldnt it be nice if there is a baby sitting service at these sail sites....we would pay an arm and a leg on a windy day. iwindsurf.com should certainly consider this added service.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: