myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
To Wide or Not to Wide

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wanda

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2000 12:07 am    Post subject: To Wide or Not to Wide Reply with quote

Has anyone sailed a Wide board? I am stuck in the old school philosophy that the Mistal Energy is the fastest board ever produced, and that anything new or bigger has a limited top end. If Im sailing in 12 to 22 knots with my Sailworks XT2 8.5, I do not want to sail a board with a limited speed potential, and I dont need a loose or easy jibing board for that wind range.

The impresssion I get from dealers is sketchy . They want to sell the new stuff.

p.s. Does anyone have a 94 energy or a 94 explosion in good shape for sale? Or are the new boards really better?
realkitty

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2000 11:26 am    Post subject: RE: To Wide or Not to Wide Reply with quote

I recently started riding a new HiFly Carbon 262 Free, 98 Liter, and many of my sailing friends already have HiFly 272s. The 262 is the best overall board I have ever riden, very fast, forgiving, and turny. No old board even comes close...
tonyg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2000 2:01 pm    Post subject: RE: To Wide or Not to Wide Reply with quote

New wide boards with new big sails will work as advertised. They definitely get you planning in lower wind and pointing higher with no limit in top speed. I spent $1600 for a 8.4M RX1 rig and wide Protec board and agree that all the claims are true. Having said that, I am selling this stuff now. Planning on a glassy water I can only think this is no fun, why do I bother. If you live in San Diego and want to plane, or you race, this stuff is your only choice.
But if you sail for fun and wind regularly blows 15-20 mi in your area, do not bother with it.
wanda

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2000 12:15 am    Post subject: RE: To Wide or Not to Wide Reply with quote

Ron, Thanks for the realism. I have decided against the big board/big sail for now and will invest my meager funds into the fun stuff.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: