myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
This fog sucks
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
raggyanne

PostPosted: Mon Jul 03, 2000 2:23 pm    Post subject: This fog sucks Reply with quote

Whenis it gonna blow away?What kinda summer is this anyways?
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2000 1:08 pm    Post subject: RE: This fog sucks Reply with quote

No, its the clear area inland of the fog layer that sucks ... and thats a GOOD thing if theres any water there.

And rea;ize that this great Gorge wind is just a little gusty. The central Gorge has seen its shareof 3.0 moments, all right, but the wind there has consisted mostly of averages in the 20s with lulls near 10 and gusts to and over 40. Its been less variable out east, where 4.7s and some 4.2s have been common, but its still been unusually gusty out there. I have seen some guys try 3.2s, but they quickly jumped back to their 3.7s or 4.2s. We really need sone desert heating to steady out the wind, but its been downright cool in the desert most of the summer. Nice livin, and quite a bit of very good sailin, but not the classic summer patterns yet.

Send us some of your fog, and spread it from Portland to just west of Swell City. Wed appreciate it.

Mike
wop1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2000 2:53 pm    Post subject: RE: This fog sucks Reply with quote

The fog is worth waiting for to clear. The Gorge gets boring after around two days anyway (you can only gawk at gorge tubes so long). Besides, who would invite more people to vacation in their back yards. Doenst make sense.
wyndsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2000 8:22 pm    Post subject: RE: This fog sucks Reply with quote

We are still under the influence of LA Ninia. I am not sure if I spelled it right.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2000 10:36 am    Post subject: RE: This fog sucks Reply with quote

And how would you know where I sail or how I rig?

Mike
spyder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 18, 2000 7:12 pm    Post subject: RE: This fog sucks Reply with quote

I dont know, but I havent got in a lot of rippin weekends this year.. Unfortunately work traps me during the week, and the windgod laughs and shuts it off on the weekend. I didnt do anything to piss him off...

So I went to the Gorge and to Maui...Gorge was blowing 50mph gusts at Rowena...and Maui wasnt far behind..thats where all the wind is!

I guess I havent had the pleasure of living the Gorge dream, but its a bit extreme for me. I prefer the Maui dream....
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2000 1:02 pm    Post subject: RE: This fog sucks Reply with quote

1. Gusts to 50 are not the norm in the Gorge. Good ol 4.5 sailin is much more common, and there are far too many days that it takes giant gear to ge planing.

2. The corridor (Hood River area) winds this year have been extremely gusty. We HOPE that now that the deserts are FINALLY heating up, the corridor winds may get worth the effort. Youy know somethings wrong when thhe parking lots full, there are whitecaps everywhere, but there are few sailors out.

3. Why sail only on the weekends? Its YOUR vacation time, and the hours before and after 8-5 are YOURS.

Mike \m/
spyder

PostPosted: Wed Jul 19, 2000 5:33 pm    Post subject: RE: This fog sucks Reply with quote

encouraging..

I plan on taking on the Gorge more often. I know it will make me a better sailor..4.5 is fine with me. I just am not a thrill seeker overpowered on 3.0.

I am working on plans to get me A LOT more sailing.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 23, 2000 4:08 pm    Post subject: RE: This fog sucks Reply with quote

At 180, I use my 3.2 fewer than half a dozen times a year despite sailing in the Gorge 8-9 months out of the year, being avaialable to sail 7 days a week, and SEEKING 3.2 wind (better swell, at some locations). I probably use my 3.7 fewer than 20 times per year. It virtually never blows hard at every site even on the biggest days.

Mike \m/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: