myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Learning To Jibe
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
81toy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2000 9:48 am    Post subject: Learning To Jibe Reply with quote

I am just learning to windsurf in decent winds. Can anyone give me some basic tips on Jibing a short board? Even if it is not on plane.. I just need somewhere to start then hopefully I will abe back for more detailed questions.

Thank you.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2000 6:41 pm    Post subject: RE: Learning To Jibe Reply with quote

Some tips arent of much use. Carving a jibe on a shortboard is one of the most complex, demanding, detailed single tasks you will undertake in your whole life. Approaching either the overall learning process or any individual jibe casually will get you virtually nowhere; both the learning process and each of those first scores of planing jibes will take a commitment comparable to getting a Masters degree ... and making those first few will probably take longer than getting the Masters.

I know you said non-planing, but even a thorough description of non-planing jibes takes pages because each of a jibes appriximately 12 steps needs to work before we come out the other side dry, let alone planing. Try instructional videos, magazine how-to articles, and lessons, or youll be forever learning it.

I hope this doesnt scare you away from the goal. Its meant to awaken you to the scope of the challenge ahead of you, so youll quit piddling around with it and get serious. If you take it seriously and get plenty of professional instruction as I suggested, you might be able to jibe without planing all the wway through in a season of intense practice and instruction, and may even start planing through them within a couple of seasons. This took us several years BI ... before instructions ... but modern training techniques have knocked several years off the learning curve for those who dedicate themselves to it.

Mike \m/
kznelson

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2000 10:47 pm    Post subject: RE: Learning To Jibe Reply with quote

I appreciate your perspective regarding the level of commitment required to undertake the Jibe. As a non-Jiber my self, and only able to sail 6-10 days a season, it is my dream to someday be able to continuously sail for two hours straight, jibing at the end of each reach.

I have bought the videos, studied the articles, done several clinics, and feel like that on land I understand what needs to happen. But on the water, at planing speed I cant seem to put it all together.

Either I forget, season to season, forget on the water, or just get the steps out of order, Who knows? Not me.

One thought was making a cheat sheet, ie. the 12 steps of Jibing. I could almost write it myself, but Id probably always question it. So I thought Id ask someone else to write it.

Furthermore, is there a progression I should be building up too.

Signed,
Committed to the Masters Degree
12 year program
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2000 7:41 pm    Post subject: RE: Learning To Jibe Reply with quote

If youll post your e-mail address, Ill send you my jibe instructions. But I need to emphasize that no moral Ive ever met could begin to learn how to carve a jibe in a few days a year of sailing. During the decade it took me, I was sailing 30-80 days a year, 4-10 hours a day, all in planing conditions, much of it on turn-oriented shortboards. Lessons (if better than the ones I got) would shorten that somewhat, but the board feel necessary to carve jibes just isnt going to mature in a few hundred hours of sailing, especially stretched out over several seasons. As an engineer, I analyzed the heck out of jibing, made all kinds of charts, jibed a thousand times in my office swivel chair, yet still had to pay my dues for thousands of planing hours before hitting many jibes in a whole day of sailing.

My purpose in giving you this bad news is to convince you to lower your expectations so you dont get discouraged. Just get out there all you can, take jibing lessons, try a jibe every chance you get, pray youre exceptionally gifted, take what comes, and enjoy it. Too many novices set their sights too high, miss by a mile, get discouraged, and quit. Set your sights on fun, and you cannot fail. With that attitude, jibing will come some year.

Mike \m/
glambcpa

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2000 6:24 pm    Post subject: RE: Learning To Jibe Reply with quote

I have sailed about 10-15 days per year the last 8 years and have been pursuing the carving jibe for about the last four. The best things I did were watch videos (Rhonda Smith 1st Carving Jibe and Turning for the Better) to ingrain the image of the perfect jibe into my head and also take a lesson from the Cort Larned School here in the bay area - I think they are still in operation.

You can do it - I make about 70% now.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2000 1:32 pm    Post subject: RE: Learning To Jibe Reply with quote

Man, if youre planing all the way through your jibes and onto the new tack after just 50 days of trying, thats very impressive. Wish I could have managed that, but with no videus, mags, role models, etc, it took me forever. Good work!

Mike
wyndsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2000 10:12 pm    Post subject: RE: Learning To Jibe Reply with quote

I am also in the no jibe club. Maybe is that I love the long reaches.
spyder

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2000 5:55 pm    Post subject: RE: Learning To Jibe Reply with quote

Uh....I have been doin the Jibe thang for about 8 years now..its still a battle. I thought I had it down cold after a few trips to Bonaire..flat and steady. Then Maui & the Bay taught me it wasnt that easy....

I get a few good planing ones here and there, but usually that good ol stall jibe happens. But when I get on flat water, viola! the jibes come back, I feel like a pro (daydreaming).

Still on videos, and what ever advice I can get. Usually I do better after watching the experts peel a few off in rough stuff.

Someday I hope to master the duck jibe...but I wanted to get pretty solid on the good ol carve jibe first..then the one handed jibe...then the duck.

funny, I actually do pretty well in the waves.. I guess cuz its smoother.
triebwad

PostPosted: Sun Aug 20, 2000 2:55 pm    Post subject: RE: Learning To Jibe Reply with quote

Mike,

my email is :
androka@hotmail.com

Thanks,
David
petegarcia

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2000 2:45 am    Post subject: RE: Learning To Jibe Reply with quote

Mike, I also would like a copy of the jibe instructions. Tanx Petegarzz@aol.com
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: