myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Windurfing in Phoenix ??????

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vasge

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2000 12:57 pm    Post subject: Windurfing in Phoenix ?????? Reply with quote

My wife and I are considering a potential move to the greater Phoenix Area. We are avid sailors and currently live in the Washington DC area. This is a pretty good spot since it is conveniently situated equidistant from Hatteras, DE and NJ beaches. Since windsurfing has become an important part of aour recreational lives, does anyone know of what kind of sailing community there is out there in the desert? I know it seems like a strange question, but I lived for a short time in Albuquerque, NM and I found a reasonable community out there. Any thoughts?
sand1080

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2000 3:35 pm    Post subject: RE: Windurfing in Phoenix ?????? Reply with quote

I learned to sail in Phoenix. There are alot of lakes within an hour drive. Most of them are in canyons so the wind is unpredictable.Lake Pleasant in the north was the spot I went the most because it was the flatest.I never sailed on less than 8.0!
qlewton

PostPosted: Sun Jun 25, 2000 7:50 pm    Post subject: RE: Windurfing in Phoenix ?????? Reply with quote

Its not exactly convenient but Ive found the best place to go is Kino Bay. Kind of a trashie place in MX but the wind gets up and rolls (18 - 30kts) into that vast agricultural valley area to the West of Hermasillo. Takes me 3+ hours from my home in Sonoita. My local spot is Lake Patagonia - but thats only if I need fix! Another spot on the Sea of Cortez is a place called El Desemboque. ive not been there but non-windsurfers have told me it howls. Big tides though and long drive on MX dirt road. Word of caution, MX isnt as safe as it once was. play by their rules if you go. If you need more specifics feel free to contact me at qlewton@dakotacom.net.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Jun 26, 2000 4:56 pm    Post subject: RE: Windurfing in Phoenix ?????? Reply with quote

Are you aware that Phoenix and Albuquerque may as well be on dfferent planets, climate-wise? The 3,000-4,000 foot lower altitude of Phoenix does two things to the climate: cranks up the heat by an entire order of magnitide and backs the wind off by two orders of magnitude. Albuquerque ... and NMs lakes ... stick about a mile higher into the atmosphere than Phoenix, placing them in entirely different climates.

Mike \m/
vaulterca

PostPosted: Wed Jun 28, 2000 7:04 pm    Post subject: RE: How about Flagstaff ?????? Reply with quote

Anybody out there ever try to sail in Flagstaff, AZ? Flagstaff is a small city in the mountains (Elevation 7000) approx 2.5 hours north of Phoenix.
Five years ago I moved from Flagstaff to California & only started to sail last year. I know for a fact that the wind blows there but I dont recall ever seeing any sailors. There are some local lakes including Lake Mary 5 miles South-East of town. Might be worth looking into!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: