myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
pointing upwind

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
robnwind

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2000 12:07 am    Post subject: pointing upwind Reply with quote

after a recent trip to Maui, my first one;i spent more time hiking back up the beach than I did sailing. In fact, i was considering a morning car shuttle in lieu of an afternoon hike! I sail mostly at the gorge where this skill isnt quite so desperate, but I would like to work on it, so im open to suggestions.
windsurfer7

PostPosted: Sat Jun 10, 2000 1:36 pm    Post subject: RE: pointing upwind Reply with quote

I definately know what you are going through. Over at Kanaha I had a hard time staying up wind on wave gear I wasnt used to. The key thing I found to staying up wind was definately board speed. Once you are powered up you really need to lean forward and collapse your front knee and try to look around your mast. This will get you pointing much higher. You want to feel like youre leaving your arms behind you. It may kind of feel like they are going to be pulled out of their sockets. Once doing this, look for gusts. You will find you can point up much higher in the gust and when overpowered. When there are lulls, bear off and really lean forward. When really pinching, you may need to move your back foot out of the staps and up farther. Selecting proper gear will also help Smile When not powered up, it is a pain to get upwind on wave gear. Also work on your fast tacks. Hope some of this will help.
jwolford

PostPosted: Sun Jun 11, 2000 2:49 pm    Post subject: RE: pointing upwind Reply with quote

I have also gone though the same thing. However, a friend of mine suggested I try a little stiffer fin. It has really worked for me.
spyder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 20, 2000 7:31 pm    Post subject: RE: pointing upwind Reply with quote

hi - a bit late on this one, but maybe someone will read it.

Pointing upwind is a tough thing to master in the beginning. It has to do generally with not having a good stance on the board, and the gear for the conditions.

The conditions will dictate what size of sail, board, and fin is needed to get powered up. This is necessary to have the capabiliity to maintain upwind position. Given the proper gear for you and conditions, the next thing is sailing stance.

You need to firstly make sure your sail and harness lines are set correctly to get the sails Center of Effort balanced when you are hooked in and in the straps. You know this then you are fully sheeted in and planing, the sail doesnt pull from the front or back, indicating a balanced sail. If this is happening, check the mast base position and the harness lines.

Once you are able to sail in a straight line, fully planing, going upwind is a breeze. you need to steer your board enough upwind so that you still plane and maintain good speed. Pointing too far will cause you to drop off a plane. A good stance trick is to keep the sail sheeted in, but transfer your weight closer to the mast and place your front hand closer to the mast, almost able to look around the front of the sail. You need to maintain the back foot pressure on the fin. This provides a good stance to get upwind.

For sailing back and forth, just being fully sheeted in and planing will give you the control with your feet to steer enough upwind to maintain your position.

Also it helps to have a landmark that you track to see where you are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: