myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Brief Davis Point Guide: Godsely

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Sat May 20, 2000 4:34 pm    Post subject: Brief Davis Point Guide: Godsely Reply with quote

unny you should ask, I am in the process of writing up descriptions of the less sailed Bay Area sites.

It is critical that more sailors start going to Davis Point. The launch site where the old Josephs Landing Bar was torched. (Damn I miss that place...filled with derelicts from the deep south that would buy us drinks after watching us jibe below the windows of the rocky peninsula the bar was built on)

Now the land is owned by the East Bay Regional Park and there are development plans being made that could include windsurfers.

In a nutshell here is what Davis Pt. has to offer. By far the largest smoothest swell in the Bay Area (way over Gorge size) and the longest reaches in the Bay. I had one day where I sailed for hours and only did 6 reaches.

Best of all it blows hard here when rest of the Bay is fogged in. It blows anytime Sherman Island blows but it is best when the wind has more south in it...the same days Larkspur cranks and the Peninsula is buried in fog. So on those days head to Sherman Island by going north on 80 through Berkeley. Just before you hit the Hwy. 4 turn off to on the way to Sherman Island look for the Rodeo exit. Head east under the freeway. Go through the town of Rodeo. As you near the Bay the road takes a sweeping turn to the right. Go straight towards the Bay at this curve. Then go left. Look for a high wooden bridge crossing the RR tracks.
Once over the bridge go left and park. (best to go in a group since the parking is not very secure) Walk several hundred feet to the south to the cove with a sandy beach and a single tree. You are now at Lone Tree Cove. You may have to swim your gear out about 50 feet since there is a tiny point upwind of the beach. You must be able to point well since this is the only return point. Watch out for boats trolling near shore.

This is ONLY for advanced sailors. Most days there will be NO ONE on the water to help you. The water is only 12 feet deep over most of San Pablo Bay so the swell is great and glassy on strong ebb. The swell is so big and smooth that this is more of a slashing place than a jumping venue. How big is the swell? Well I have sailed the pacific single handed on a 24 sloop so I know swell. But I have had days on a 28 sloop we turned back after spending an hour being battered by San Pablo bay swell. They are big and steep. However you a windsurfer you course on both tacks takes you right down the trough line unlike all the other sites in the Bay where on one tack you hit chop. This is why it is not great jumping.

The Davis Point sensor reads high but if it is in the 20-30 knot range the wind will be good. Also watch the Sherman Island, Pt. Isabel and Larkspur sensors for info.

Look more info on iwindsurf in the next month or so.

Mike Godsey

Mike Godsey posted directions to Davis Point on windcall.com, but I lost them and theyre no longer on that web site. Anyone sail there? Directions please plus local knowledge. How can I know beforehand if its REALLY windy. Davis Point sensor (NWS) seems to always read very high. Any known corrections to that reading that are reliable based on wind direction and other nearby site readings (i.e. Pt. Isabel and Benecia)?
Posted by: windfind - 05/18/2000
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: