myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Where Are the Sailors?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uman

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2000 4:27 pm    Post subject: Where Are the Sailors? Reply with quote

I see very few sailors on Long Island Sound along the New Rochelle to Rye stretch. If you sailors are out there - where are you sailing? I am interested in getting plugged into the local windsurfing community. I am also having a heck of a time finding access to the water. Have had two occassions where Police boats stopped me and ask me to please not sail there again. Looking for some good tips on local sailing spots. Thanks. Ulrich
cyberwindsurfer

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2000 3:20 pm    Post subject: RE: Where Are the Sailors? Reply with quote

Howdy Ulrich;
Getting access to the shoreline on L.I.S. is difficult, especially the area you are asking about. Far too much shoreline is privately owned or marked residents only. Town parks are also restricted to residents in most locations down there.

The few exceptions I am aware of are in CT.

Calf Pasture Beach (Norwalk, I-95 exit 16) is the closest to you and has a large windsurfing club with gear rentals, boat rentals, instructors, a shower, a BBQ and bathrooms. If you join the Gone with the Wind surf club, you get into the park for free. (Normally $15/day). There is a strong tidal current at the launch site above mid tide and major boat traffic in the channel on summer weekends. However, the harbor is large and the dozens of islands and shallow areas at low tide make it the best in CT.

Lighthouse Point (Milford) and Hammonassett State Park (New Haven)
are the other 2.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: