myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Newcomer-Northern Virginia area.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JayC

PostPosted: Tue Apr 18, 2000 8:49 pm    Post subject: Newcomer-Northern Virginia area. Reply with quote

Hey! Just moved here to the U.S. and looking for info-anything from shops, hangs, great spots(flat&surf), widsurfing buddies, and contacts. I have over 10 years experience-started Long Reef Australia,later moved to Omaezaki Japan, but have been dormant last 2 years. No gear, no car-yet. Anything to get me back into the scene. Also avid wakeboader/surfer. Just post here or get me at tomquinn11@hotmail.com.
Please-no comedians.
Cheers!
dbednar

PostPosted: Tue Apr 25, 2000 6:55 pm    Post subject: RE: Newcomer-Northern Virginia area. Reply with quote

I live in Northern VA, and my favorite place is Lakes Bay NJ (near Atlantic City NJ). Visit extremewindsurfing.com for more details. The Potomac Rive is horrible, and I have had my share of problems there - currents (Sterling VA), weeds (Bellhaven Marina) in summer, broken fins (Washington Sailing Marina), and muck (Washington Sailing Marina). I know its 3 hours to drive to NJ, but the seashore breezes there I find very consistent.
us089

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2000 5:47 am    Post subject: RE: Newcomer-Northern Virginia area. Reply with quote

There are plenty of places to go, you just have to drive a bit. Sailing on the Potomac is possible ( a little nasty though) at the Washington Sailing Marina in Alexandria, by National Airport. Your best bet is the Chesapeake Bay. Annapolis area (less than an hour East) has several spots. South a bit to Solomons Island area is good too. Point Lookout is a bit over an hour South and in good strong NE or S-SE winds is like sailing in the ocean (big swells).

If you want to wave sail, head to Dewey Beach/Ocean City/Assateage Island 3-4 hours East. Or for the best allaround sailing wave/flatwater, go to Cape Hatteras about 7 hours South.

The only shop in this area is East of Maui, located in Annapolis and in Dewey Beach. Or email me at rmr20657@yahoo.com.
us85

PostPosted: Fri Jun 02, 2000 8:22 am    Post subject: RE: Newcomer-Northern Virginia area. Reply with quote

Check:
http://www.cs.umd.edu/~rgc/windsurfing/local.html
lturkevich

PostPosted: Tue Jun 13, 2000 3:15 pm    Post subject: RE: Newcomer-Northern Virginia area. Reply with quote

Yikes! Where did you bust your fin? Out near the runway? I heard that its OK if you steer clear of the runway. Are there hidden dangers scattered throughout the area?

The Potomac Rive is horrible, and I have had my share of problems there ... summer, broken fins (Washington Sailing Marina), and muck (Washington Sailing Marina).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: