myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wing foiling First 3 days

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 2:45 pm    Post subject: Wing foiling First 3 days Reply with quote

Please share how your first 3 sessions went, so beginners don't get frustrated...
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 3:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For me this is my second try at winging. My first attempt didn't go well.
Mostly because the lake was so low there wasn't any room to go down wind.
I ended up in the weeds and bushes and fishing hooks. The prediction was for the lake to continue to decline for the next 3 years at least. So I sold my gear while it was new at a very small loss. 4 years later the lake is full. It happened in 3 months. Who knew. Now my first attempt again, I got down wind but had plenty of room to walk back. Not easy with all them darn leashes. Hopefully some progress Sunday for the next session. Did all the online stuff. Plenty of good wing guys and gals to give advice. I just want to hear how it went for others. I windsurf foiled and got up and flying across the lake the first day. This not so easy. The rumor at the lake is 4/5 sessions. Time will tell
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2023 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was last spring. First 7 days, I kept going slightly downwind to a completely lighter wind area had to walk/paddle/ swim back upwind to the launch dock.
Did learn a couple things...
1. Always have the upwind real slightly tipped below the leeward rail, so you can use more rail, and also en f age the foil to help go upwind.
2. You can jibe and tack sitting or kneeling.
3. You can go slightly upwind in +3 mph breeze by sitting on your board, sinking the upwind rail, place downwind foot atop the board and steer with your upwind foot. You get upwind like an experienced windsurfer on a short board in sub 10 mph breezes but you go upwind..
4. Plan....you need +15 mph to even consider getting up on foil.
5. When it's lighter, learn steps 1 thru 3.
6. In case you're a phenom in good breeze, once up on foil, look just upwind of where your board is pointed.
7. Foil placement is personal and depends on a handful of factors, but basically place rear foot about 10" behind the center of effort of the front wing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: