myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tomales
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skierdog

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2023 9:05 pm    Post subject: Tomales Reply with quote

WTF

Why is Tomales off the daily brief for SF North Bay!?

Evil or Very Mad
windfind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Skierdog,

We typically drop Tomales late June as the winds weaken and the Eel Grass thickens. But that is based upon the old needs of windsurfers. I realize that with the advent of winging the sites east of Grassy Point lime Inverness YC, Millerton are attracting customers.

Let me know!

Elizabeth and I will be at Tomales next week.

Below is a photo I took from a Coast Guard helicopter while exploring for America's Cup forecast sensors. The image shows the "Shark Pit" wave at the mouth of Tomales Bay and Dillon. If you have not sailed/kite/winged there you are missing the treat of a life time. See those tiny beaches on the far side? Where else in the Bay Area can you take a break and watch nearby Roosvelt Elk!

Mike Godsey

Xnip2023-07-27_06-54-30.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.7 MB
 Viewed:  8725 Time(s)

Xnip2023-07-27_06-54-30.jpg

Last edited by windfind on Sat Jul 29, 2023 5:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
windward1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can sometimes spot elk at the San Luis Reservoir area. Highway 152 even has yellow diamond elk picture signs rather than deer signs.
windfind

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is cool. At that tiny beach, sometimes you are sharing the beach with Elk.
windward1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have not gotten to do that at San Luis…
windfind

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What is good about windsurfing or kiting the Shark Pit is that when you fall you are swept into deeper water rather than getting worked in the impact zone.

What is bad about the Shark Pit is the Great White sharks and the long history of shark attacks.

https://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/DILLON-BEACH-Shark-attack-survivor-had-previous-2465459.php

Of course south of the Shark Pit Tubamancha (endless long waves on a S. swell) has had far more shark attacks. See the image below.

The Shark Pit and Tubamancha are 2 of my favorite places to windsurf despite their history. Both have mild, easy waves with no real impact zone.

But both look and feel very sharky. Then there was the time when Elizabeth and I had the winds fade on us at Tubamancha and had to slog the 1 mile open ocean back to the Limantour Beach launch site. The entire time a huge black shadow followed just behind us. I did not tell Elizabeth until we got to the beach.

Mike Godsey
IW/K

Xnip2023-07-28_08-47-17.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  373.24 KB
 Viewed:  8547 Time(s)

Xnip2023-07-28_08-47-17.jpg

Xnip2023-07-28_08-55-36.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  357.29 KB
 Viewed:  8547 Time(s)

Xnip2023-07-28_08-55-36.jpg

boggsman1

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Mike , you got lucky at Tuba. Fading winds there can mean next stop, the Farralones....
jse

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2023 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windfind wrote:
Hi Skierdog,

We typically drop Tomales late June as the winds weaken and the Eel Grass thickens. But that is based upon the old needs of windsurfers. I realize that with the advent of winging the sites east of Grassy Point lime Inverness YC, Millerton are attracting customers.

I often sailed Tomales in weedy conditions but it worked because I was using a short freestyle fin. I do not understand the above however. How could sites east of Grassy Point attract wingers during eel grass season? Does the eel grass not grow east of Grassy?

Steve
windfind

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jse wrote:

I often sailed Tomales in weedy conditions but it worked because I was using a short freestyle fin. I do not understand the above however. How could sites east of Grassy Point attract wingers during eel grass season? Does the eel grass not grow east of Grassy?

Steve

Hi Steve, Good to hear from you in Maui.

Eel grass is one of the reasons why Elizabeth and are camping at Tomales Bay next week. I have received many emails from kiters and alleged foilers saying they need summertime forecasts even after the big winds of Spring have faded.

Tomales has played a big role in our life clamming, camping, windsurfing, kayaking and even Elizabeth's Great White encounter near the mouth of Tomales while on one of our USAfishing.com boats (see image below)

So on our camping trip one of the things we will be looking at is the eelgrass density. I suspect it is mostly kiters on twin tips that are making the request which is great! But I want to be sure it is not some dingy sailors.

Mike

IMG_3955==.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.45 MB
 Viewed:  8457 Time(s)

IMG_3955==.jpeg

windward1

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2023 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Please tell us the story of " Elizabeth's Great White encounter". I have not heard it.

Per the teeth marks, looks like she was not dealing with a juvenile....

W1
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: