myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Adjustable stabilizer settings on Naish Thrust foil
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup.
Like almost everyone who posts on WS gear, you and everyone always say the old was bad, the new much improved.
Guess what? Your SKILL has improved, and coupled with new gear, you all, not just you, think the new gear caused your skill improvement.
I know that is not so, especially in windsurfing, since I mostly rode....in 1986, Seatrend 9' x 23", 13 lbs epoxy custom slalom boards.
That would be competitive today for lightweight slalom sailors in moderate wind.
Yes, 1986.
34" flat off the tail, increasing V from a slight double concave belly.
Everyone says that is impossible. Bob Cronin and I got them, and replacements at the slightest ding or dent.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 3:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But back to windfoil.
A month ago, rode 2018 Hover 122 with foil mast full back, stock 1220, straps back, mast base middle....just like Robbie and how it was set up from day one thru 20.
Worked great!
And sail that day was 1995 North Vertigo 5.0.
I have 2020 Ezzy Hydra 5.0 in van.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurf foiling is fairly new and is evolving rapidly. I started in 2018 on some heavy poorly constructed gear. That said, it worked pretty good. Two years later I got new gear an it was vastly improved. Much more balanced and stable. Better connections mast to fuselage and foil to board. Adjustable foil mount. Less weight and better wings. So I would say that in this case, new is better... Same with winging...
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There ya go, exactly as most posters say....new is much better.
OTOH, after 2 seasons with newer Naish stuff, I actually went back to 2018 gear and settings.....and they work great
I got better, so the old gear works great. As does the 1150, long fuze, and correct stab for windspeed to sail power.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2022 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From windsurfing (not foiling experience),
I have had the opportunity to ride some old gear right after some new
gear just like you were suggesting. I rode one of the original Velocity
spoons (with the hyper exotic bottom) back in the day when they were
nearly new (had to be early 90s). I thought that board totally rocked in the
Gorge for years (and it did). Years went by ( I sold the board to a friend
who sold it to someone else).

Eventually around 2012 or so it came back to me for another round. The
entire tribe tried the thing for an entire Gorge Season. The verdict by all
including me (and we all thought that board was a hot Gorge ride in 1992)
was meh. It wasn't a bad ride, it just wasn't as good a ride as
the late model boards we were riding).

Old tech works fine, but if you A/B the stuff, most new gear works better,
unless your Kinesthetics are inflexible. I've met more than one person
who just couldn't adapt (I'm that way myself with boards that require a
front foot weighted stance). The only issue with that, is that eventually
the old tech runs out.

It doesn't offend me that new rides are better any more than it offends me
that old tech works fine. Get your jollies however you can.

-Craig

dllee wrote:
There ya go, exactly as most posters say....new is much better.
OTOH, after 2 seasons with newer Naish stuff, I actually went back to 2018 gear and settings.....and they work great
I got better, so the old gear works great. As does the 1150, long fuze, and correct stab for windspeed to sail power.
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 1:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
Yup.
Like almost everyone who posts on WS gear, you and everyone always say the old was bad, the new much improved.
Guess what? Your SKILL has improved, and coupled with new gear, you all, not just you, think the new gear caused your skill improvement.

I refuse to believe you are illiterate; you obviously did not read my post. At no point did I say the 2018 Naish Thrust was bad.
I kept my 2018 Thrust until 2021 so I had a year to compare both foils. I said the 2020 foil was much lighter & it is. That is not opinion, it’s a simple fact. The new mast also doesn’t fill up with water in addition to being much lighter. Again, not opinion, fact. I said the 2020 has a much longer fuse; 80 cm compared to 65 cm. Longer fuses are inherently more stable; again, fact. The 2020 has less area, a higher aspect ratio & is much thinner which makes the foil slower to fly but inherently faster. I swapped out the foils multiple times and the Garmin consistently read higher speeds for the 2020. Yes, my skills improved which allowed me to take advantage of the 2020 better speed in jibes. The 2018 can fly at lower speeds & jibe at lower speeds without stalling and thus is a much better foil to learn on. That doesn’t make it bad, that just makes it heavier & slower.
And at no point did I say or imply that the new gear caused my skill improvement.
The mind is such a terrible thing to waste.

Coachg
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 2018 gear was slingshot 130 board and the original foil set that had a pretty small front wing. It worked and I learned. Shortly I got the 76 wing and it was a big improvement in every way. Except we had several wings split on the leading edge. The mast to fuselage was just a butt joint and had 3 screws for a connection. We had several fail. As luck would have it, no lost foils.
Enter 2020 . My new board and foil weight noticeably less. The foils mast was stiffer and had a better mount to the fuselage. The board geometry was set up better with mast track and foot strap placement. Add the adjustable foil mount and you have much improved foiling gear in just a short time. I will say that the 76 wing is still a stand out for foiling now that they fixed its issues.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last thought. With my old gear, I had difficulty getting into the straps and getting everything set up for a balanced stable ride. The first day on the new gear I was in both straps, going to wind better and with one adjust to the foil placement, was riding balanced. Unless I got better at foiling while waiting for the new gear to arrive, the new gear made a nice difference for me...just sayin
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 73 kg, I just followed the brochure setup...
Foil back. Straps back. Sail middle. Lots of stab down.
1st day, both feet in straps every run. Breached in +20, dropped in -10, needed 15 to pump up, slogged in -12.
3 seasons later....exactly the same.
I am NOT a good foiler, since I windsurf 2-1 over foiling, and I turned 73. Old age hampers progression, as does mindset to windsurf with the young guys who like speed.
I don't find the new gear better, only different.
Balance is prime...low end, high end, good turning, smooth rise and drop, ease in control.
Try 1220 with 79 fuze and 270 stab. You will be amazed.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2022 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At 73 kg, I just followed the brochure setup...
Foil back. Straps back. Sail middle. Lots of stab down.
1st day, both feet in straps every run. Breached in +20, dropped in -10, needed 15 to pump up, slogged in -12.
3 seasons later....exactly the same.
I am NOT a good foiler, since I windsurf 2-1 over foiling, and I turned 73. Old age hampers progression, as does mindset to windsurf with the young guys who like speed.
I don't find the new gear better, only different.
Balance is prime...low end, high end, good turning, smooth rise and drop, ease in control.
Try 1220 with 79 fuze and 270 stab. You will be amazed.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: