myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Advice need for Austin, TX windsurfing gear

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jim.od3

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject: Advice need for Austin, TX windsurfing gear Reply with quote

Hi all. I am taking a new job in Austin, TX starting in May. Looking for some advice on gear to take with me. Currently living in the Portland, OR area, and sailing in the Gorge. I think I am going to give foiling a try while in Texas, so that will probably be my light wind choice on Lake Travis. But for stronger winds I will probably want to break out some windsurf gear.

What size gear to people recommend for Lake Travis, Corpus Christi? I've been looking at some of the videos of the flat water runs at Bird Island Basin. I really want to give that a try because it will probably be my first chance at hitting 100% of my jibes. But I would expect to ultimately be drawn to the gulf side for some waves/swell sailing.

Here's what I have to choose from in my current stash of gear.
Boards. Al this stuff is pretty old, but in good shape.
1. Naish "Phat Boy" - about 112L low wind wave board. This board is pretty fun on gorge days with moderate wind. Has a lot of pop for jumping and is controllable in the air. for such a large board. Sail sizes 5.5 - 7.0m
2. Mistral Screamer 105L (older style) - this board is a bullet and carves on rails in smooth water. In the chop it's just ok, and it doesn't jump very well. Feels weighty in the air. Sail sizes 5.0 - 6.8
3. Mistral Flow 103L - Nice all-around board for flat water or chop.
4. Naish 82L wave- Nice board for big swell, but I only like it with sail sizes 4.7m or under.
5. RRD Waveone L 95L (I think) - this is my favorite board for the gorge. Handles all sizes of chop/swell. Sails 5.3 and under. Jibes great. Very controllable in the air.

I have typical gorge sails to choose from 3.5 up to 5.9m, then a big gap up to 7.2m. Guessing I'm going to want to pick up a 6.5 or so.

I am 6'1", 200lb. Been sailing since 1991. By gorge standards I would rate myself as an advanced intermediate. Solid water starts, straps/harness. Making better than 50% of my jibes in heavy conditions, but still fall in pretty regularly jibing in high winds and big chop. I enjoy jumping, but no fancy tricks. I am happy just to hit a big jump and land it safely.

If you had to pick one board to take, which would it be? How about two boards? I'm thinking one board would be the 112L Naish, and a second board would be the 105L Screamer. I'm guessing the 95L RRD would not get used enough to justify hauling it down there.
Thanks for all advice,
-Jim
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 6:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You know Rule #1: Take all your toys. I've been overpowered on a 3.2 and 65 liters and underpowered on a 7.5 and 240 liters in that area. The latter has been far more common even in the windy seasons. It all depends on how much angst you experience when your gear doesn't adequately match the conditions and whether you mind having to share your bathroom and kitchen with boards.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Never leave your high performance high wind board(s) behind. They can be the most valuable source of lasting memory in the sport. It's worth remembering that one stellar day can be worth far more than a hundred normal days.
Jim.od3

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2022 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good advice.
Thanks,
-Jim
rigitrite

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I lived in Austin from 93' - 96'. It's a fantastic place to live and there's lots of places to sail. Lake Travis is great (Windy Point Park), but you'll get more sessions by driving to Lake Belton (near Waco) and to Corpus Christi. Corpus has ALOT of great places to sail. There's Bird Island Basin, which is in the national seashore park (gotta pay) and that's great flat water and freestyle, but my favorite was the bay. Oleander park and North Beach (across the big bridge) are my favorites on the correct wind. When it was gonna be a windy weekend in Corpus but dead everywhere else, I'd leave my apt at 9 am on Saturday be at Oleander by noon, sail all day, sleep on the beach or in the Walmart parking lot, sail all day Sunday and be back home by 9 pm. I did that alot.
AG80

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2022 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have lived in Austin since '91. Windy point will be the place to go for convenience. More wind foilers starting to show up there. I am about your size and my most used gear is a 115 L Exocet X-cross with a 6.5 or 7,5 m sail. I also have a 94L cross (FSW board) which I use some at the lake, but it is my most used board for trips to Corpus. So, if going with 1 board, I wound bring the 112 L. If bringing 2 boards, I would also bring the 95L RRD.

Hope this is helpful.
Jim.od3

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am going to take your advice and go with the 112L Naish and the 95L RRD. Thanks for the local knowledge too!
Jim
wsurfn1426

PostPosted: Sat Apr 02, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree, those boards are your best choices. Get ready to slog. You will be driving to CC a lot to try to get your fix. Foiling has taken over locally. I have recently transitioned from windfoiling to wing foil. If you are interested in a sweet Starboard windfoil set up pm me.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: