myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
setting minimum or no mastfoot extension
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ittiandro

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 7:33 pm    Post subject: setting minimum or no mastfoot extension Reply with quote

Do I need to extend the mastfoot extension if I rig a 458 cm luff sail on a 460 cm mast or can I set it with no extension ?

Thanks
Ittiandro
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Use no extension & let 2 cm out the top cap if it has an adjustable cap & you can actually get your extension to 0. Otherwise let 2+ your extension out of the top.

Coachg
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One question is how accurate are both stated measurements. Rig it, tune it, and actually SEE what needs to be done.

Another factor is whether setting the sail foot on the deck is important. The jury on that question has varied from "Very important" to "Meh" to "Get the sail foot a bit above the turbulence at the water's surface." Some very good sailors worry about millimeters, others don't sweat inches as long as there aren't too many of them. I want some room left when rigged "normally" so I can downhaul more -- even a LOT -- if it's needed and it's too late to re-rig. The LAST thing I want to do is de-rig, adjust everything, then re-rig the same dang sail to gain an important inch.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2022 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great answers, from everyone!
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can also use halves of 430 and 460 you'll get to 445 then you add the rest with the extension.
ittiandro

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 1:45 pm    Post subject: setting minimum or no mastfoot extension Reply with quote

Thanks for your replies.
This question never occurred to me before because I usually do give an extension depending on how much downhaul I want to give.
This time , with the luff of the same length of the mast, I'm told that I don't need to give any extension. This is fine, except that on a 2nd thought, I realize that with 0 extension, the sail ( and the mast) will be flush with the mastfoot with practically no tension for a proper downhaul.
Shouldn't I still add some extension to ensure that I can downhhaul properly?

Thanks

Ittiandro
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 4:58 pm    Post subject: Re: setting minimum or no mastfoot extension Reply with quote

Yes you should (saves time for strong wind adjustments), and sails do
stretch a little over time.

-Craig

ittiandro wrote:
Thanks for your replies.
Shouldn't I still add some extension to ensure that I can downhhaul properly?

Thanks

Ittiandro
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2022 9:52 pm    Post subject: Re: setting minimum or no mastfoot extension Reply with quote

What do you mean by "no tension"? If "no tension" means "no tension", you need to up that by one or two hundred pounds of tension on the free end of the downhaul. That's why many guys use winches to downhaul their sails, and it's why I've watched Glen Mulvey break new downhauls on some on the early race sails.

The following true story is worth repeating.

A guy walked into his dealer and started this conversation:

Guy: "This new sail sucks. I want something else."

Dealer: "Rig it and let's see what its problem is."

Guy: "I don't need to. I'm an expert windsurfer. I go to Baja every winter. It just sucks."

Dealer: "Humor me."

(Rig. Rig. Rig.)

Guy: "LOOK AT IT. It sucks."

Dealer: "You didn't downhaul it. Let me try it."

(Pull. Grunt. Strain.)

Guy: "LOOK OUT! YOU'RE BENDING THE MAST!"

If you don't double over laughing at that, Ittiandro, you're not downhauling your sail enough.

ittiandro wrote:
with 0 extension, the sail ( and the mast) will be flush with the mastfoot with practically no tension for a proper downhaul.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 2:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not post a photo?
bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2022 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you mean by “no extension”? Do you mean running your extension at its lowest setting, or do you mean removing the pin and collar from the extension and just pushing the extension into the mast as far as it will go?

If you’re talking about completely removing the collar, that would not be a good idea. The bottom of the mast needs to be supported by a flat surface and if you entirely remove the collar, then the mast base extension could split the bottom of the mast as it is loaded by the downhaul.

If you’re talking about running the extension at the lowest setting, then that would not be a “zero” adjustment because the amount of mast extension is typically measured from the top of the downhaul pulleys to the top of the adjustment collar, so even at the lowest setting there are generally still a few cm of extension.

With regard to sail tuning, the rigging numbers printed by the manufacturer are provided as a guide. Variations in masts, extensions, rigging styles, and sailing conditions will dictate the final setting. Educate yourself about how different tuning adjustments affect sail performance and don’t focus too heavily on what specific numbers your equipment is set at.

sm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: