myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Beginner board - would this work?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If everything in that package was new, it would be usable for a short time but you would quickly out grow it. Being 30 plus years old with replacement parts impossible to get I think its a no go. If your truly hooked, invest in more modern gear. Like coachg stated, get something that will work where your going to sail. If your near Floras go back take a few more lessons, demo different gear then decide what you might want. Talk to local windsurfers in your area and get input from them. Most of us learned on that type of gear. Even new it could quite frustrating.
windward1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff,

Please give us a description of the gear that you learned on as well. Board make & model, volume, width and sail size and what not, such as did the board have a daggerboard.

Also, is the person you learned from still available to give you advice and look over what is available for you?

W1
techno900

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The board is an O'Brian, not that it matters. If it was free, you should pass it up. Nothing but frustration for a big guy.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An old buddy of mine, at 275 lbs., never took a lesson, bought a Marker 1 out of the blue.
Yes, 275 lbs on a 205 liter board with stock 6.1 rig.
1st day at Lake Merced SF, then on to Oyster Point SF for 35 days, including 5 at Crissy.
In May, we drove down to Punta Abreojos with one of his friends who bought a Marker111, maybe sailed it one week, no lessons.
Couple sessions at San Quentin on the way, they both dove right in at Fed Marine Base 3-5 foot point right clean waves with sideoff winds.
While neither was particularly stellar, they each got out thru the shorepound upwind to the break, and rode a few waves after falling backwards dropping in, swimming for their rig, and uphauling in waist to chest high inside waves.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the O'Brien board is very old and narrow. Admittedly, the narrow width will make it a bit tippy, and that can really test a bare beginner's resolve, but that doesn't make it impossible to learn on. The one thing that needs to be focused on is the hull shape. The hull shape is designed primarily for light wind non-planing conditions, so its overall performance is quite limited, particularly if Geoff is ultimately interested in planing and more lively wind and water conditions. Yet, with its daggerboard, volume and length, it is a suitable board for learning the basics in lighter conditions.

I think we can all agree that the equipment to learn the sport isn't of great value once you reach an intermediate stage in the sport. The big advantage to the O'Brien is its volume, which it more than adequate for a big sailor. The question is is Geoff athletic enough to persevere. A narrow 12' board worked for me back in the 80s, and I quickly taught myself without any lessons.

Lastly, I'm thinking that Geoff's pocketbook might be light right now, hence his choice. If he was rolling in bucks and motivated, he would buy new gear and spend boatloads on lessons too. Sometimes we need to think about our realities and work with what we have.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 4:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Beginner board - would this work? Reply with quote

Oh, and that's an O'Brien Freesail One circa early 80s, so more like
40 years old. Note the lack of foot straps or strap inserts. My 1st
BIC Dufor Wing was a lot like that, only it had a real Dagger board,
not an upscale centerboard like that beauty!

But seriously, at your weight, and your skill level, which I'm guessing is
rank beginner. You'd need a board that's minimum 240 ltrs, from that era,
to have any success learning. If you want something that's
not going to be obsolete after a couple of weeks worth of frustrating (but
doable) learning, you might look for a Fanatic MegaCat, or Mistral Equipe.
Those should go for about $150 (for the board) if you can find them.

Or you could do yourself a favor, and get something "modern"
https://www.theactionadvisor.com/the-best-windsurf-boards-for-beginners/

-Craig

p.s. Inflatable windsurf boards are pretty much useless, if those tempt you I'd look elsewhere..

gvgeoffward wrote:
Hi all - new to windsurfing and the iWindSurf site. Started windsurfing on Floras Lake and got hooked. Now I'm trying to find some gear...

Can anybody identify this board and...would it be a decent beginner / intermediate board? I'm about 220 lbs and think I need something in a 220-260 range (not exactly sure what this means - I think it's the volume of the board). I've attached a pic of it.

Thanks for any and all help!

Geoff
J64TWB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do not buy. USE MODERN GEAR! Would you buy a wooden tennis racquet?
dhmark

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:

I think we can all agree that the equipment to learn the sport isn't of great value once you reach an intermediate stage in the sport.

If you are able to learn the basics first, the board you get to learn harness, waterstart, footstraps, planing, jibes, could continue to be useful. I'm thinking of boards like Starboard Go, Exocet Windsup, Kona, perfectly good boards to learn on with great uses for advanced sailors. Go-- big sail light wind planing, Windsup-- playing around in waves, Kona--longboard cruising. I have friends with all these boards, using them when the conditions warrant in Lake Michigan out of Chicago. Had a great blasting session a few days ago on a Bic Nova 165, wanted to stay dry on a 65 degree air 33 degree water day in 6.0 conditions.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 3:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right, your beginner board can be something that you keep and use over time. That said, most folks bail and opt for higher performance boards fairly quickly. That was my path, and quite frankly, I've never known anyone who stuck with their beginner board. However, much depends on one's goals in the sport and the conditions available. If most of what you see is sub-planing conditions, I can see someone buying a Kona board and rig and sticking with it over the long term. But, you have to admit that the complete Kona kit will likely run you $2500, or maybe even more. To be honest, that kind of figure can stop a lot of folks dead in their tracks.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Mar 11, 2022 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Totally agree with Steve here. If you've got the expendable money, go
for modern gear, if not, try it with what you can afford.

I'd definitely upgrade to a clamp on boom though. Those tie-ons really suck.
Actually that whole rig sucks! (but it can be made to work if you have some tenacity).

-Craig

swchandler wrote:
You're right, your beginner board can be something that you keep and use over time. That said, most folks bail and opt for higher performance boards fairly quickly. That was my path, and quite frankly, I've never known anyone who stuck with their beginner board. However, much depends on one's goals in the sport and the conditions available. If most of what you see is sub-planing conditions, I can see someone buying a Kona board and rig and sticking with it over the long term. But, you have to admit that the complete Kona kit will likely run you $2500, or maybe even more. To be honest, that kind of figure can stop a lot of folks dead in their tracks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: