myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Beginner board - would this work?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gvgeoffward

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:43 pm    Post subject: Beginner board - would this work? Reply with quote

Hi all - new to windsurfing and the iWindSurf site. Started windsurfing on Floras Lake and got hooked. Now I'm trying to find some gear...

Can anybody identify this board and...would it be a decent beginner / intermediate board? I'm about 220 lbs and think I need something in a 220-260 range (not exactly sure what this means - I think it's the volume of the board). I've attached a pic of it.

Thanks for any and all help!

Geoff

OBrien.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  42.85 KB
 Viewed:  9747 Time(s)

OBrien.JPG

dllee

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Works fine...
We all learned in similar boards, up to 275 lbs dudes.
Younger fin, dagger and mast base to work.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Beginner board - would this work? Reply with quote

That would work OK, but you shouldn't be paying more than about $50 for
that whole setup. The tie on boom will eventually give you fits, and none
of that will be very usable after the early beginner stage.

-Craig

gvgeoffward wrote:
Hi all - new to windsurfing and the iWindSurf site. Started windsurfing on Floras Lake and got hooked. Now I'm trying to find some gear...

Can anybody identify this board and...would it be a decent beginner / intermediate board? I'm about 220 lbs and think I need something in a 220-260 range (not exactly sure what this means - I think it's the volume of the board). I've attached a pic of it.

Thanks for any and all help!

Geoff
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With such an old board with very particular mounting holes for the daggerboard, universal and fin, you want to be sure to have the correct daggerboard, universal/mast base assembly, and fin that will fit and mate properly with the board. If it is missing any of these components, it would be next to impossible to find them in today's market.

Regarding the sail, mast and boom, I would recommend upgrading to something more current and modern in design (arguably 2000 or newer). Also, being a bigger guy, you're going to need to get the right sized sail(s) to advance and enjoy yourself.
capetonian

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That board will be very unstable compared to any beginner board from the last 15 years. I’d look elsewhere, as trying to learn on that board will slow your learning curve.
VinceSF

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely NOT! This board is unstable, slippery, with a extremely heavy sail and worst of it, a boom that will not be attached the right way.
This is a sure way for turning yourself off of windsurfing.
Please do your self a favor and forget this board.
dhmark

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 11:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you got "hooked" and the equipment you used at Floras was modern beginning equipment, you will hate all that gear. The board will be slow and tippy, the boom loose and wonky, and the sail will be unstable with no range. If you sailed enough to get past the beginner stage (uphaul, jibe/tack, upwind downwind) you can get a real board, but they are hard to find used. You don't need 200+ volume, volume depends on the type of learning board you get.

There are 3 types of learning boards that can be "keepers" even when your skills have gone beyond, you could learn on any of them, and they would still be fun for advanced sailor depending on what you want to do. The short wide learning board can become your light wind planing board with large sail (Tahe, formerly Bic). WindSUP boards can be paddled or surfed. And longboards (Kona) can be nice non-planing cruising boards. My 15+ year-old Bic Nova 165 (now marketed as Tahe Wind Foil 160), still gets used every year as light wind planing board or to teach a beginner. Best $800 I spent on a board.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

220 lbs learning on a 160 liter board? You're out your mind.
220 on a 225 liter narrow board? Not easy, but possible.
dhmark

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If OP is past the beginning stage and competent shlogging upwind downwind slow tacks and jibes, absolutely can learn on a 160L board that is 80+ cm wide. Won't be much fun in super light wind, dagger or center fin will help keep upwind.
coachg

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geoff,

Where will you be sailing? Floras Lake or some place else? It is best to choose equipment for the location you will be sailing in regularly based on the amount of wind you can expect & the water state you will be in.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: