myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
If you or your kids are gray or bald, this vid's for you
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 09, 2022 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean like "Jackass" (which was around before YouTube). Those
people are just selecting themselves out of the gene pool, and frankly
I'm a fan of "natural" selection. ;*)

-Craig

techno900 wrote:
Technology/phones and YouTube are a big factor in the wild and crazy stunts that teenagers and young adults do these days. In the "old" days, you did nutty stuff in front of friends or just to test yourself, but that was it. Now the motivation is that the world gets to watch all your dumb stunts, successful or not.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shaun White had a half pipe built for a winter near me. He worked on his aerials by filling a bin with foam blocks and practiced a move over and over and over again before taking it to the snow. I also had a friend who had a daughter into the aerial ski jumping. She spent a LOT of time at a swimming pool. I skied moguls one day with her and was not impressed. Mostly, she needed to be in a coached environment to do much. It wasn't like she was hucking it big all over the mountain.

When I was young, we set up jumps for our back flips and 360's. I tried flips on 190 cm skis and dropped over 10 to 15 ft cliff faces all the time on 200 cm skiis on the mountain as a daily deal...no cameras. Kids will be kids I think. I do wonder how some of these guys will feel at my age though with the crazier stuff they are doing. My back knows about every stupid stunt I tried on skis or bikes.

Even worse, IMO is what we used to do with our cars racing around on the winding roads in the hills. I shudder to think about what could have happened.

A lot of us sort of have this drive to see what we are capable of even at high cost. As crazy as I thought I was, there was always someone willing to push the envelope a LOT further. It stands to reason, at least to me, that what the younger guys are doing now is really an extension of what we did when younger. The limit just gets pushed a little more at a time. The gear is more friendly. The knowledge on how to do a move keeps getting refined.

The beat goes on.
J64TWB

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It’s not that kids are lazy, they are just into different things than we were. Those that are athletic, have technology, personal training programs, diet and motivation to excel them past previous athletes. You just need to look at sail shape to see how that changed the game for windsurfing athletes. My brother is a weekend hack at golf, shoots mid 90’s. He went in for a very expensive club fit. Said to the guy “he just wants to shave a couple shots off his score with new clubs. Like any good salesman, the guy says, “we got this”. His old clubs were Pings from 1989. His first time out with new clubs he shot a 78. Imagine Rafal Nadal of today playing John McEnroe. It would be a double bagel.
wsurfer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2022 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

J64TWB wrote:
It’s not that kids are lazy, they are just into different things than we were. Those that are athletic, have technology, personal training programs, diet and motivation to excel them past previous athletes. You just need to look at sail shape to see how that changed the game for windsurfing athletes. My brother is a weekend hack at golf, shoots mid 90’s. He went in for a very expensive club fit. Said to the guy “he just wants to shave a couple shots off his score with new clubs. Like any good salesman, the guy says, “we got this”. His old clubs were Pings from 1989. His first time out with new clubs he shot a 78. Imagine Rafal Nadal of today playing John McEnroe. It would be a double bagel.

Please tell me what his new clubs are!!! Laughing Laughing Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: