myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Doug's Rig Separation Video

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sailnbike

PostPosted: Wed Aug 11, 2021 10:34 pm    Post subject: Doug's Rig Separation Video Reply with quote

My wife happened to be wearing a GoPro when rolling up to the scene of a rig separation in progress. Amazing how fast the board is surfing away from the owner. Phil Soltysiak did the heavy lifting and towed the owner and rig back to the WA side. Another volunteer retrieved the board from the Oregon side with a dog leash? So nice to have such a generous group to help out when in need!
https://youtu.be/Zg3RMxtDg7E
GarryW

PostPosted: Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to see Woody is OK. My dog Harley was glad to lend his leash in the recovery effort.
isobitchin

PostPosted: Sat Aug 14, 2021 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched a rig separation and rescue a few weeks ago at the hatch. The rig separated, the board glided away and the guy was left holding his rig and started waving for help. Another sailor got the board and got it back to him. I guess the rig couldn't be put back together so the separated sailor took the board and tried to paddle in while the rescuer stacked the whole rig inside his, water started and planed in with both rigs. The guy paddling the board was just getting swept down the river so the rescuer sailed out to him, gave him his board to sail in and then paddled the guys board to shore for him. Pretty impressive.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: