myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Used market is shrinking
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
leto

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 7:36 pm    Post subject: Used market is shrinking Reply with quote

Have been checking some second hand gear here and on quite a few other sites and it seems that modern second hand equipment assortment is pretty poor recently. Wonder what’s the reason?
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very few windsurfers.
Most quit a decade ago.
wsatl

PostPosted: Sun Apr 11, 2021 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the confinements of 2020 - sporting gear got sucked up. Some windsurf shops had an outstanding year. 25-35 yr old sails are selling for stupid prices on ebay - the same stuff people were binning a year ago. Also, the pipeline of used gear from rentals turned off completely.
inf2003

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Maybe its a good time to try to sell this mast boom and sail. What do you think it is worth? Should I list it on eBay?. I had posted it once before a few years ago and received no response. What is the best place to place the ad? Shipping would seem prohibitive.

I have a 10.6 with a full carbon boom and 100% matching carbon mast (520 I think) that I purchased in 2007 The sail is a 2007 and has the specified 100% carbon mas with a full carbon hawaiian proline carbon boom. My wife passed and we had to sell the lake house so I only used them once. they are all in perfect condition. It was a very powerful sail.

the sail is a 2007 neilpryde v8 10.6m

the mast is the matching neilpryde matrix x6 required by manufacturer and the carbon boom is a hawaiian proline. They are located in the boston or southern nh area . . All pieces have little to no use.
leto

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wsatl wrote:
Also, the pipeline of used gear from rentals turned off completely.

Maybe above makes sense. Thankfully I got cool stuff last year plus being more advanced helps as I make very small changed to equipment. Still sometimes I look at various sites for used gear and the selection lately is so so few and limited. I think I never seen it this bad comparing to last 10 years.

2007 is rather old equipment.
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

2007 is fine. It is MUCH MUCH better than 90% of the windsurfer's today.
Shipping is killing the mail order business. $250 for boards, $75 for sails.
killeen_john

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

inf2003 wrote:
My wife passed and we had to sell the lake house so I only used them once.

I am so sorry for your loss. Sad
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Mon Apr 12, 2021 8:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Used market is shrinking Reply with quote

leto wrote:
Have been checking some second hand gear here and on quite a few other sites and it seems that modern second hand equipment assortment is pretty poor recently. Wonder what’s the reason?

This sport is shrinking in the US in general. We had 7-10 windsurfers on the local lake. Now it is pretty much just me.
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It defies logic. If fewer people windsurfing there should be more gear available? My local lake is the opposite: I used to be the only one now there are 10-15. Lack of rental equipment explains why there isn’t modern gear available, but not older gear. For me, gear has been selling faster. In the past year I sold a 7.3 meter sail, 430, 460 masts & a fin. Sail & masts sold in a couple of days; fin took a month but all sold much faster than in the past.

On a side note, older equipment is fine, but I’m not sure it’s any better or worse than 90% of the modern gear. Different maybe, but as long as you choose the correct setup for your level & location I don’t think equipment age will impact your experience.

I too, am sorry to hear of your wife's passing.

Coachg
dhmark

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More windsurfers means more windsurfing gear being turned over periodically for upgraded kit, that creates more used gear than 1 windsurfer quitting the sport. People upgrading are more likely to promptly list their used gear for sale as their old gear is in better shape and more worthwhile to resell, they've also just spent a lot of money. Someone quitting becomes apathetic about their stuff, doesn't perceive the value especially if they delay in selling and the value gets lower over time.
I agree that equipment by 2007 had reached a point where gains have been minimal, if in great shape highly desirable as its usually cheap. Last year I sold a 2003 Fanatic Cross to a returning sailor for $200 with a money-back guarantee for delamination, he's really happy with it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: