myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wind sensor for threemile canyon? (loroc island?)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stevemadere

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:48 am    Post subject: Wind sensor for threemile canyon? (loroc island?) Reply with quote

Does anybody know how close the loroc island sensor is to threemile canyon?

And also, how accurately does the wind speed there reflect what's going on at threemile?

Finally, what's the wind reading at Loroc & Arlington that makes it worthwhile to go all the way to threemile from HR?
ericandholly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The swell at 3 mile is considerably bigger than many other locations due to the long fetch. I was there last Friday on 5.2 WS conditions. Swell was bigger and smother than 4.2 at Hatchery. Meter is pretty accurate. I m headed there in 10 minutes form HR.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loroc is just upwind of 3-Mile, as in a couple of reaches if you're well powered. The return trip is one very broad reach, unless, or course, you actually want to play on the way back to 3-Mile. The sensor is on a tiny island well exposed to the wind, and in any SW to WNW direction should work just fine for 3-Mile. To me, "3-Mile" means Loroc, 'cause that's where I'm gonna be sailing.

Whether the trip is worth it is a totally personal choice based on many factors. I can plane on a 6.2 and 95L wave board at 170 pounds at just over 20 on the Arlington sensor, and there can be some small but usable swell if the wind is unusually steady and prolonged.

A MAJOR, as in GIGANTIC, difference between 3-Mile and Arlington is the launch. The former is a piece of cake, the latter probably the worst I've seen on the Columbia River from Vantage to the ocean.
30knotwind

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wind sensor is accurate and almost always the same as wind at 3 mile launches, which are about 1 mile east of the navigation marker on Loroc Island, WA, opposite side of River, ~15+ minutes upwind.

Low water in Umatilla pool with 4.7M wind or better is likely enormous, long, smooth swell at Loroc (aka Heaven).

NOAA does pretty good out there:
http://www.30knotwind.com/p/blog-page_8.html

Confirm with the following:
A 10F temperature drop at The Dalles airport, daily high to daily high, almost certainly means wind at 3 mile. 5F may not be enough, 15F may be a storm so check for precip. Any temp drop on second or third days will be windy too. First day of increasing temp kills the wind.
https://www.wunderground.com/calendar/us/wa/dallesport/KDLS

Confirm with forecast of 0.06 or better of rising differential for The Dalles to Pasco, combined with 0.26 or better rising diff for North Bend to Pasco.

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=218&Isection=Pressure+Report#?-

(Attached is the pressure report from yesterday, 8/6/2020. 3.5 meter until the diff peaked at 2pm when wind became up and down but still sailable 4.0 meter.)

Chris

Screenshot_20200806-125710.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  439.34 KB
 Viewed:  36605 Time(s)

Screenshot_20200806-125710.png

Last edited by 30knotwind on Sun Aug 09, 2020 1:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
windfind

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

Below is a visual of our 3 Mile canyon sensor and the launch sites.

In the old days no one from the corridor made the long drive to 3 Mile form Hood River unless it was ripping out east since the drive was so long.

But with our sensor at 3 Mile and the new WNW wind pattern often making the Corridor more up and down and The Wall unreliable you should consider making the long drive even on 4.7 days.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
Weatheflow.com

Gorge 3mile.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  754.13 KB
 Viewed:  36504 Time(s)

Gorge 3mile.jpg

evergreenhighway

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the interesting info on three mile. I once had a fighter pilot fly about 50’ over me out there. I thought my sail was ripping apart or a barge was running me over.
I have a question about the wind meter readings. Is A 30 mph average at Loroc Island more like a swell 30 reading or Wall 30? It seems the eastern sensors are about 10 mph higher.
30knotwind

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2020 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Averaging 30mph, each sensor respectively, I'm on a 3.7 at 3 mile, a 4.2 at Arlington, a 4.7 at the Wall, and a 3.0 at the Hatch. I'm 180lbs and I normally rig high and flat.
evergreenhighway

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the calibration. Definitely worth driving when close to 30!
combs

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So Windfind you are saying NW favors this site??
30knotwind

PostPosted: Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

combs wrote:
So Windfind you are saying NW favors this site??

The best wind direction is SW or WSW, ~240 to 255. Best time is 11am to 2pm, not sure why exactly, but that is when the swell sets up the best. However, Swell can still be amazing to sunset. The fetch is 9 miles long--you can see the Roosevelt silos while sailing on the river. Occasionally wind goes W, which creates very long reaches, but choppy conditions and poor swell. If the sensor says W, go somewhere else, IMO.
Chris

FWIW, 3mile will be worth the drive on Tuesday and Wednesday: 13F temperature drop with no precipitation, Wednesday drops again so it will be windy that day too.
https://www.wunderground.com/forecast/us/or/the-dalles/45.60,-121.18

3mile_compass rose.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  945.22 KB
 Viewed:  36342 Time(s)

3mile_compass rose.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: