myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Jibing GW683
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stringp

PostPosted: Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:53 pm    Post subject: Jibing GW683 Reply with quote

Bought a Ghost Whisperer 101 with a 683 foil. Last week I hit a submerged log with my bolt together aluminum setup. Snapped the fuse in half, pancaked the mast end, and cracked the Infinity 76. So, time for an upgrade.
So, how do you foil a jibe with the 683? Reviews that I read were pretty glowing about jibing it. For me the 683 drops hard to the water in the jibe. If I was going in at top speed I may have a chance to make one with out touching down. Does anyone have any advice on this setup?
sailworksman

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shim your stabilizer down 1° or 2° degrees and you'll have more float.

/Bruce
stringp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 12:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This from Wyatt Miller:
“I am thinking that maybe the lift is too far back for you and that when you take your back foot out of the strap it is causing the foil to go down to the water. If that is the case just get a 1mm M6 white plastic washer (I get them at Tumalum) and put it between the fuse and the front bolt of the rear stabilizer and that should take care of the problem.“
Is this what you mean by “shim your stabilizer down 1 or 2 degrees”?
stringp

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The spacers helped a little bit, but it’s so hard to make a clean jibe. Can I use the 483 stabilizer with the 790 wing? Looks like that’s the direction I need to go.
sailworksman

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 483 stab wing is compatible with the Moses 790 wing, however you cannot use a Moses 790 wing on the 838 fuselage that comes with the GW101 (nor the Moses Vento 101). The 790 wing only fits on the Moses 900 fuselage (while stab wings are interchangeable).
/Bruce
stringp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2020 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love the way the 683 flies. It takes so much more speed/power to get it to foil.
So, in a jibe how can you keep your speed up? If Infinity 76 is 2 gear the 683 is 4th or 5th. To have a chance a foiling a jibe you have to be going soooo fast.
gholder

PostPosted: Tue Jul 21, 2020 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been on the 683 (GW101) for a couple months now and love it from 3.3 to 5.1. I'm 175 lbs. and second season foiling. Excellent all-around wing for me. It likes to run a couple knots faster than the usual hover glide wings...except maybe the warp speed.
No shim on mine...I tried a 1.5 degree shim at the front screw once and was over-lifted. I usually run the 683 on an 87L Freestyle...Wiz 103/105L for 5.1.
My best advice is what was given to me - embrace the speed! Get used to it, it becomes normal. Carry speed into the jibe just like finning - build speed across or off the wind, sheet in as you bear off, weight forward as nec. to trim, trust the foil. It does NOT need lots of extra speed....just a little more. It floats me right through every time...even when I have to pump out of a jibe.
I've tried most of the SS/Moses wings in this class and the 683 is easily my favorite as a fun, slightly faster, yet forgiving wing.

(edited to correct a couple errors)
stringp

PostPosted: Wed Jul 22, 2020 1:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gholder, what you’re describing would be a total departure for me. I’m 200 lbs and use a Dialer 145. Primarily, because I uphaul all the time. With the Infinity 76 I usually didn’t carry enough sail to water start. A friend lent me a 790 for a week. Same thing as the I76. Easy Peasy. On it today in 24 wind with a 3.2. Two days ago on the 683 I got tennis elbow from holding on to the extra power. Seems like the 790 sails very upright and the 683 is more of a heels on the edge slalom board.
LUCARO

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

gholder wrote:
I've been on the 683 (GW101) for a couple months now and love it from 3.3 to 5.1. I'm 175 lbs. and second season foiling. Excellent all-around wing for me. It likes to run a couple knots faster than the usual hover glide wings...except maybe the warp speed.
No shim on mine...I tried a 1.5 degree shim at the front screw once and was over-lifted. I usually run the 683 on an 87L Freestyle...Wiz 103/105L for 5.1.
My best advice is what was given to me - embrace the speed! Get used to it, it becomes normal. Carry speed into the jibe just like finning - build speed across or off the wind, sheet in as you bear off, weight forward as nec. to trim, trust the foil. It does NOT need lots of extra speed....just a little more. It floats me right through every time...even when I have to pump out of a jibe.
I've tried most of the SS/Moses wings in this class and the 683 is easily my favorite as a fun, slightly faster, yet forgiving wing.

(edited to correct a couple errors)

How does the GW 101/683 compare to the infiinty 76? Do you need more sail size for the same wind strength?
gholder

PostPosted: Thu Jul 23, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stringp - That all makes sense to me. I get away with small boards not because I'm that good, but because I never uphaul...my superpower.

I think you're on the right track with the 790 for a more supportive and stable feel. The 683 rig is very, very good but not that. It's lively and needs to be ridden actively. I really like that feel. It took some getting used to but now rides as upright and comfortably to me as any other rig. But that's me.

I don't have much experience with bigger boards, but started on the Dialer 130/I76 and quickly went to smaller gear. I recently rode a friend's Wiz 125/790 a couple times and found it stable and predictable...and very fun in a mellower way!. Definitely Cadillac! He'd upgraded from an I76 to maximize progress and minimize risk during his intermediate learning phase (and injury recovery) and has zero regrets. He also uses it regularly with 3.2.

The 790 and the I76 systems are both excellent with lower stall speeds, more lift, and increased stability in all axes, pitch/roll/yaw (directional). I.e., steadier, more manageable, and very effective platforms. And maybe just a better match for your longer board and larger size.

LUCARO - see above for my impressions.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: