myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
impact vests?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
emcc

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:48 pm    Post subject: impact vests? Reply with quote

'm considering using an impact vest after hurting my ribs in a fall trying to learn to jibe foiling. Just wondering if anyone out there uses one or has any opinions or comments about them or what I should consider? I'd want it to be compatible with a waist harness.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Jun 03, 2020 11:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're smart. I wouldn't sail (or drive a car) for an inch without a vest and a helmet (or my seat belt fastened). I've owned over 15 various types of rib armor, including a pro bull riding vest custom built of kevlar and dacron. They all have their pros and cons, but they all share one common feature: they interfere with a waist harness. FORTUNATELY, I hate waist harnesses.

My point: if you find such a harness, snap it up, because they aren't common.
wdsurf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 9:43 am    Post subject: Rib protection Reply with quote

Dakine surface vest been wearing them for many years with waist harness only wear waists

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  63.87 KB
 Viewed:  21257 Time(s)

image.jpeg

johnnycrash

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pro Motion has one that has a pocket in front for radio or other safety needs & a zipper pocket in back for Hydration bladder. Just ordered a couple days ago.
My Naish impact vest front zip has started to again dislodge. It is fine and svelt, but this Pro Motion looks like a good choice. Thin neo wrap in mid section, and 25mm on top - front mid- zipper.
I'll report after I try it out...

M41_FRONT_LARGE__96518.1575919400.190.250
Listed as:*RESCUE VEST - RED
wdsurf

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:32 am    Post subject: Vests Reply with quote

Pro motion looks great bought their hybrid dry zip steamer great suit in 35 to 45 deg water and air
Bugaboo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up a DaKine Impact Vest this week. Used it twice already and love it. The same blue-ish one that is in the picture above.

Seems like every year, I whack my ribs on my boom, my mast or I have a close call. Ouch. And, I swim like a rock so the idea of a little flotation seemed like a good idea.

The Vest integrates perfectly with a waist harness. The bottom cut of the Vest is high so it integrates with the harness without overlap. Plus, the padding on the Vest acts like a curb that keeps the harness from rising up as you ride.

When on the water, it did not limit movement at all.

Go for it, you've got nothing to lose
Ggood

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:14 pm    Post subject: Impact Vest that can really take a hit? Reply with quote

I broke 3 ribs wearing a Neil Pryde vest at the Hatch previously. I missed a forward....kidding...(bad jibe) and injured a rib again this week wearing a Promotion vest. It maybe cracked but it’s 3x less painful than the previous 3 I broke. What vest actually has bones or something that distributes the force besides just having padding/floatation.

Thx,
Gg
MULLDE102f

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Landed on the fin after a big jump went bad. Three broken ribs and a hemothorax. 20 years and it still hurts...
I have a Naish vest, works fine with a waist harness. I did have my local outdoor gear repair guy (shout-out to Nairain's in Berkeley), add a crotch strap since it kept riding up. Now it's perfect.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ION vest is comfy and well made (current crop of wetsuits they are making are horrible quality though-beware). I wear it for the extra float and it makes for a nice layer of warmth.
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Jun 05, 2020 1:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Impact Vest that can really take a hit? Reply with quote

Ggood wrote:
What vest actually has bones or something that distributes the force besides just having padding/floatation.

Most of them ... once you shape* and add a Lexan layer inside the vest. It's not that difficult to open a seam (bottom, usually), insert the Lexan shield, and resew the seam. The results include a crisp look, much greater protection, and no perceptible weight addition.

Another iteration was a Lexan chestplate backed by a 1-cm layer of polyethylene foam and simply placed beneath the vest or the wetsuit. Either approach gave me a lot of protection while being unnoticeable.

* I forget whether I used boiling water, a hair dryer, a heat gun (be careful of the latter, lest you melt the Lexan), or maybe I cold-formed it in a vise ... don't remember.

I consider the $400 I paid to have that kevlar bull-riding vest built very worthwhile. It's highly customizable with several options and many color choices, is sized to fit the buyer, is very adjustable to fit over anything from skin to a few layers of neoprene, and should disperse a major blow from a baseball bat. That, a helmet and face guard, and a cup and you're all set to go rioting in most cities. (Put a note in your pocket to remind yourself why you're rioting. Sad )
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: