myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
prove me wrong.... coronavirus is not airborne
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 70, 71, 72  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
real-human

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2020 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
GT

Some people are just not going to get the virus. I saw a report awhile back that children may have less ability to catch the virus because of sinus size and shape. There are many variables.

You also need a certain amount of viral load to get the virus or even develop antibodies. Our bodies reject the foreign objects like any inert substance. In your example, we don’t know how an individual sheds virus, how consistent the droplet sizes are, how affected droplet sizes are on the ability of the virus to remain viable outside the host.

There are many variables in why some catch it and some don’t.

The ones I saw on children is theorized that they have trained immunity from recent shots like the MMR shots and booster shots.

Likewise the aircraft carrier all the personnel had the MMR booster in recent times and as such of the 900 plus only one was hospitalized.

I am trying to get the MMR shot as we speak, it is a very low risk one vs a TB vaccination shot has a higher risk for older people but is being tested. So I am looking to get the MMR but am striking out the local private pharmacy doctor can not get it so checking with a friend that is an ER doctor at the major hospital if there is a way.

https://www.scienceboard.net/index.aspx?sec=sup&sub=cell&pag=dis&ItemID=925

Childhood vaccines may help protect against COVID-19 mortality  

Quote:
June 22, 2020 -- Could live vaccines for viruses such as measles, mumps, and rubella (MMR) also provide protection against COVID-19? That intriguing prospect is the subject of a recently published commentary in mBio.

There is mounting evidence that live attenuated vaccines, such as the MMR vaccine, provide protection against lethal infections unrelated to the pathogen that was originally targeted. The proposed mechanism for this protection is "trained innate immunity," by which leukocyte precursors in the bone marrow are "trained" by the vaccine to function more effectively against broader infectious insults. The protection is mediated by long-lived myeloid-derived suppressor cells (MDSCs), cells that previously have been reported to inhibit septic inflammation and mortality.

Now, induction of MDSCs is thought to inhibit or reduce severe lung inflammation or sepsis associated with severe COVID-19 infection. Researchers from Louisiana State University and Tulane University demonstrated that vaccination with a live attenuated fungal strain induces trained innate protection against lethal polymicrobial sepsis. They also cited six clinical trials in other countries that are testing trained innate immunity with the live attenuated tuberculosis Mycobacterium bovis bacillus Calmette-Guérin (BCG) vaccine. Other childhood vaccines, including those for rotovirus, smallpox, and chickenpox, may work in a similar manner to limit inflammation and sepsis.

"Live attenuated vaccines seemingly have some nonspecific benefits as well as immunity to the target pathogen. A clinical trial with MMR in high-risk populations may provide a low-risk/high-reward preventive measure in saving lives during the COVID-19 pandemic," said Paul Fidel, PhD, department chair of oral and craniofacial biology at Louisiana State University (LSU) and associate dean for research at the LSU Health School of Dentistry.

The "trained innate immunity" hypothesis may explain why children have been less likely to be impacted by COVID-19, since they have more recent and frequent exposures to live attenuated vaccines that may induce trained suppressive MDSCs that limit inflammation and sepsis. It may also explain why only mild symptoms were observed in the 955 sailors on the USS Roosevelt aircraft carrier who tested positive for COVID-19 in April, with only one hospitalization required. As a precautionary measure, MMR vaccinations are given to all U.S. Navy recruits.

"If adults got the MMR as a child they likely still have some level of antibodies against measles, mumps, and rubella, but probably not the myeloid-derived suppressor cells," said Fidel. "While the MDSCs are long-lived, they are not life-long cells. So, a booster MMR would enhance the antibodies to measles, mumps, and rubella and reinitiate the MDSCs."

Given that there are no contraindications to MMR vaccination of immunocompetent individuals, the authors recommended clinical trials with MMR as a low-risk, high-reward preventive measure for high-risk populations such as healthcare workers who can easily be exposed to COVID-19.

GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are now being warned that we could be in for a dangerous winter. Sir John Bell, Regious professor of medicine at the university of Oxford warns that it should not be assumed that there will be a vaccine ready in time. "This whole epidemic has relied too heavily on assumptions that have turned out not to be true. If we have a really bad flu season there will be difficulty seperating flu from Covid patients. This could be really serious if people do not get the flu vaccines."

The double coming threat this winter has convinced me to take up the flu vaccine ( not done so previously) and to be sure to wear face protection in crowded indoor places which will be unavoidable once normal patterns are resumed.

I've checked my old motor cycle full face helmet and visor, and if deemed wise I could fit a breathing tube with mouth and nose piece inside, fed by a filtered form of air intake. I've no idea what would happen if anybody contracted both flu and Covid at one and the same time, but I don't wish to the one to find out!
real-human

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2020 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
We are now being warned that we could be in for a dangerous winter. Sir John Bell, Regious professor of medicine at the university of Oxford warns that it should not be assumed that there will be a vaccine ready in time. "This whole epidemic has relied too heavily on assumptions that have turned out not to be true. If we have a really bad flu season there will be difficulty seperating flu from Covid patients. This could be really serious if people do not get the flu vaccines."

The double coming threat this winter has convinced me to take up the flu vaccine ( not done so previously) and to be sure to wear face protection in crowded indoor places which will be unavoidable once normal patterns are resumed.

I've checked my old motor cycle full face helmet and visor, and if deemed wise I could fit a breathing tube with mouth and nose piece inside, fed by a filtered form of air intake. I've no idea what would happen if anybody contracted both flu and Covid at one and the same time, but I don't wish to the one to find out!

A friend visiting me in early March is a MD from Canada, I had told him how I had just flown from Mexico to san Diego and back and at that time no cases reported in San Diego, TJ or Baja Sur. But I did the entire wipe down of everything and carried a cleaning wipe in my hand at all times, even wiped down my luggage handle after getting it back. At that time heading north not one person was wearing a mask, but a few days later going south there were about 5 to 10 on the plane wearing masks. And mentioned to him that it was the first time I have ever been in the mens restroom and there was a line for washing hands at the airport. Not a line for the urinals, but for the sinks.

He commented in his opinion if people do wash their hands like this we may have the lowest or least severe flu season in recent history. I guess we will need to see the data after the next winter.

GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 5:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To lighten the gloom a little??

In view of Sir John Bell and his pessimistic warning the other day, professor Sarah Gilbert, the leader of the Oxford University Research Team has given an upbeat reply to reporters. She states , from the research and testing done so far, she is optimistic that the vaccine they have developed will see a good duration of immunity for several years at least. In answer to Bell, and hid doubts, she replied "I hope we can improve on those time lines, and come to your rescue."

8,000 Britons are taking part in a major trial of the vaccine, but infection rates have fallen in this country so researchers aim to vaccinate 4,000 individuals in Brazil, and 2,000 in South Africa.

The key question seems to be, whether the vaccine will completely protect from becoming infected, or simply make people less ill? Professor Bell says he has now seen test results of a good standard that would be transformative.

The pharmaceutical firm Astra Zenica are already geared to producing this vaccine and distributing it before Christmas, if given the green light.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is good news GT!
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

C.B. It IS good news, and I sincerely hope her team have got it right. This pandemic has been a strain and worry for everybody, especially as to what us oldies have to look forward to. (Lack of carefree joy, and natural optimism for our future, as you once said.)

I've learned a lot from this thread, and about attitude, and must congratulate Dean on the way he initiated it. Factual and objective, when so much of this forum is now a battleground of hatred, name calling, and mockery. Point scoring , and look at me. How clever I sound!

Over the last few months this pandemic has preyed on our minds. I was out today on my road bike on a local loop, in thick grey sky and drizzle, thinking all the while about how this vaccine really would be the be all and end all solution if it fulfills it's promise, and how, if so, life and all our hopes WILL be as they were this time last year.

Plenty still to look forward to, and plans to lay, without hindrance. Please let it be so!!
coboardhead

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
C.B. It IS good news, and I sincerely hope her team have got it right. This pandemic has been a strain and worry for everybody, especially as to what us oldies have to look forward to. (Lack of carefree joy, and natural optimism for our future, as you once said.)

I've learned a lot from this thread, and about attitude, and must congratulate Dean on the way he initiated it. Factual and objective, when so much of this forum is now a battleground of hatred, name calling, and mockery. Point scoring , and look at me. How clever I sound!

Over the last few months this pandemic has preyed on our minds. I was out today on my road bike on a local loop, in thick grey sky and drizzle, thinking all the while about how this vaccine really would be the be all and end all solution if it fulfills it's promise, and how, if so, life and all our hopes WILL be as they were this time last year.

Plenty still to look forward to, and plans to lay, without hindrance. Please let it be so!!

GT

I guess all we can really do is just try and make our lives as normal as possible with common sense precautions.

I was sort of dragged out of my retirement plans with this pandemic. I felt responsible for taking on some additional work to try and do what I could to contribute to the economy in my area. My wife did the same; to a lessor extent. But, we are both worn out. I guess the thought that we could somehow make a lasting impact against this pandemic was just a dream. I'm leaving it to the medical scientists to figure out the cure right now because I don't think human nature will allow continued caution and some semblance of a normal life.

So, once I finish this latest commitment of work, I plan on at least 4 hours a day on my bikes. The new gravel bike (I know I know) beckons. It seems biking is one thing that is not influenced by the pandemic where I am.

Originally, this year and next was to be the time we spent travelling around the US discovering every biking trail and catching any windy shore we could find. It feels like such a loss (selfish I know) of what we have worked and planned so hard for.

You are an inspiration. You give me hope that we will still have the energy to do this after this damned thing is over...
real-human

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GURGLETROUSERS wrote:
To lighten the gloom a little??

In view of Sir John Bell and his pessimistic warning the other day, professor Sarah Gilbert, the leader of the Oxford University Research Team has given an upbeat reply to reporters. She states , from the research and testing done so far, she is optimistic that the vaccine they have developed will see a good duration of immunity for several years at least. In answer to Bell, and hid doubts, she replied "I hope we can improve on those time lines, and come to your rescue."

8,000 Britons are taking part in a major trial of the vaccine, but infection rates have fallen in this country so researchers aim to vaccinate 4,000 individuals in Brazil, and 2,000 in South Africa.

The key question seems to be, whether the vaccine will completely protect from becoming infected, or simply make people less ill? Professor Bell says he has now seen test results of a good standard that would be transformative.

The pharmaceutical firm Astra Zenica are already geared to producing this vaccine and distributing it before Christmas, if given the green light.

yes to be allowed to test that many patients I think is called 3rd stage. That means it was effective in a small group of maybe 10 and then a larger group. The reason it may not be allowed that quick is this next stage they are looking for other side effects which is very complicated.

Also one bad thing about using Brazil is they are a TB vaccinated country so it may not be as clear for the countries that are not TB vaccinated. I am not sure if SA is. I am about to go for a walk before the sun goes down so no time to check. Wish they would have talked Australia into it as they are not a TB country for sure.

mac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 02, 2020 9:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here’s an article. https://www.reuters.com/article/us-health-coronavirus-oxford-vaccine/oxford-covid-19-vaccine-developers-encouraged-by-immune-response-but-cautious-on-timeframe-idUSKBN24269P

It’s a miracle DJT isn’t promoting this. For sure he’ll take credit.

Thanks for the tip GT.
real-human

PostPosted: Fri Jul 03, 2020 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

J64TWB wrote:
There might be something to this. From JAMA.
https://jamanetwork.com/journals/jama/fullarticle/2763852

By the way, the virus made it’s way through my friends office in January. A bunch were sick for weeks. The principle was the first to get it. She traveled to NYC to meet a client in mid January, came back sick. Later, she tested positive. This is at a time when very few in the US supposedly had it. It was everywhere, I’m convinced.

wow a march opinion piece... note from your source " creating a cloud that can span approximately 23 to 27 feet (7-8 m)."

boy would that get so many sick on a bus, plane, mass transit, protest, store on and on in one day.
again what is the viral load needed to get a person infected.

I liken it to radiaion in many respects, you should not breath with your methodology because there is radiation all over. But it is the "radiation load" as I call it.

https://www.iaea.org/Publications/Factsheets/English/radlife

Radiation in Everyday Life

Quote:
Types of Radiation

The term "radiation" is very broad, and includes such things as light and radio waves. In our context it refers to "ionizing" radiation, which means that because such radiation passes through matter, it can cause it to become electrically charged or ionized. In living tissues, the electrical ions produced by radiation can affect normal biological processes.

There are various types of radiation, each having different characteristics. The common ionizing radiations generally talked about are:

Alpha radiation consists of heavy, positively charged particles emitted by atoms of elements such as uranium and radium. Alpha radiation can be stopped completely by a sheet of paper or by the thin surface layer of our skin (epidermis). However, if alpha-emitting materials are taken into the body by breathing, eating, or drinking, they can expose internal tissues directly and may, therefore, cause biological damage.
Beta radiation consists of electrons. They are more penetrating than alpha particles and can pass through 1-2 centimetres of water. In general, a sheet of aluminum a few millimetres thick will stop beta radiation.
Gamma rays are electromagnetic radiation similar to X-rays, light, and radio waves. Gamma rays, depending on their energy, can pass right through the human body, but can be stopped by thick walls of concrete or lead.
Neutrons are uncharged particles and do not produce ionization directly. But, their interaction with the atoms of matter can give rise to alpha, beta, gamma, or X-rays which then produce ionization. Neutrons are penetrating and can be stopped only by thick masses of concrete, water or paraffin.
Although we cannot see or feel the presence of radiation, it can be detected and measured in the most minute quantities with quite simple radiation measuring instruments.

Radiation Dose

Sunlight feels warm because our body absorbs the infra-red rays it contains. But, infra-red rays do not produce ionization in body tissue. In contrast, ionizing radiation can impair the normal functioning of the cells or even kill them. The amount of energy necessary to cause significant biological effects through ionization is so small that our bodies cannot feel this energy as in the case of infra-red rays which produce heat.

The biological effects of ionizing radiation vary with the type and energy. A measure of the risk of biological harm is the dose of radiation that the tissues receive. The unit of absorbed radiation dose is the sievert (Sv). Since one sievert is a large quantity, radiation doses normally encountered are expressed in millisievert (mSv) or microsievert (µSv) which are one-thousandth or one millionth of a sievert. For example, one chest X-ray will give about 0.2 mSv of radiation dose.

On average, our radiation exposure due to all natural sources amounts to about 2.4 mSv a year - though this figure can vary, depending on the geographical location by several hundred percent. In homes and buildings, there are radioactive elements in the air. These radioactive elements are radon (Radon 222), thoron (Radon 220) and by products formed by the decay of radium (Radium 226) and thorium present in many sorts of rocks, other building materials and in the soil. By far the largest source of natural radiation exposure comes from varying amounts of uranium and thorium in the soil around the world.

The radiation exposure due to cosmic rays is very dependent on altitude, and slightly on latitude: people who travel by air, thereby, increase their exposure to radiation..

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 70, 71, 72  Next
Page 10 of 72

Jump to: