myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Coronavirus
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 339, 340, 341  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vientomas

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Influenza is a much more deadly disease. Get your priorities straight, fearmonger.

OK Boomer, if it's such a walk in the park, I dare you to do to go to ground zero in Kirkland and volunteer at the senior center. You can hang out with your peers.
real-human

PostPosted: Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.msnbc.com/rachel-maddow-show/trump-struggles-explain-why-he-disbanded-his-global-health-team-n1153221?cid=eml_mra_20200309

Trump struggles to explain why he disbanded his global health team

Quote:

According to Trump, "you can never really think is going to happen," but the NSC's team existed precisely because officials recognized the possible threat.

The New York Times

.Trump on Vaccines: From Skeptic to Cheerleader

[quote]
Quote:

President Donald Trump has been promising the imminent arrival of a vaccine to halt the spread of the coronavirus, the novel germ that has sickened more than 100,000 people worldwide, killed more than 3,400 and is now spreading in the United States.Federal health officials have repeatedly pointed out that his timetable is off -- that it will take at least a year -- but his single-minded focus on warp-speed production of a new vaccine represents a striking philosophical shift. For years, Trump was an extreme vaccine skeptic who not only blamed childhood immunizations for autism -- a position that scientists have forcefully repudiated -- but once boasted he had never had a flu shot.At least a decade before Trump was elected president, with responsibilities that would include nominating experts to lead the nation's health centers, the hotelier and commercial developer was holding forth with great confidence about medical topics. When an interviewer would note that physicians disagreed with the dim view he took of vaccines, Trump remained ever ebullient, impervious and dismissive of scientific authority.Perhaps that bravado was infectious: As a private citizen and celebrity, Trump was, somewhat mystifyingly, often sought by the media for his thoughts on vaccines. The absolutism of his thundering tweets that disparaged the childhood vaccination schedule -- itself meticulously vetted by experts who would, years later, be answerable to him -- only hardened.Now, as his federal health agencies tackle the rapidly morphing coronavirus epidemic and he and his administration come under fire for serious missteps in managing it, Trump has had to adjust his messaging. He is now all in on a vaccine and the sooner the better, says the man who in 2015 said that he didn't "like the idea of injecting bad stuff in your body."But in assessing the threat from the coronavirus, he is clearly picking and choosing among the public health facts that he finds appealing, preferring his own judgment to that of experts, as he always has.The limits of that supreme confidence showed in press briefings last week. Trump struggled to understand why a flu shot would not also prevent the coronavirus, and why developing a vaccine that would be used on millions of people worldwide needed to be a painstaking process involving clinical trials to prove the vaccines were safe and effective.Nevertheless, Trump is telling crowds that the curbing of the coronavirus is on the horizon. At a rally in Charlotte, North Carolina, he said, "They're going to have vaccines, I think relatively soon."2007: An 'epidemic' of autismTrump sponsored fundraisers at his Mar-a-Lago estate in Florida for Autism Speaks, a parent advocacy group."When I was growing up, autism wasn't really a factor," he told the South Florida Sun-Sentinel in a 2007 interview. "And now all of a sudden, it's an epidemic. Everybody has their theory. My theory, and I study it because I have young children, my theory is the shots. We're giving these massive injections at one time and I really think it does something to the children."At a press briefing about the fundraiser, Trump talked about vaccinating his son, Barron, then almost 2: "What we've done with Barron, we've taken him on a very slow process. He gets one shot at a time then we wait a few months and give him another shot, the old-fashioned way."The assertion that the measles-mumps-rubella vaccine led to autism was based on a discredited 1998 study in the Lancet that was retracted after the claim was rigorously studied and repudiated.Trump's concern about the schedule for young children is a common vaccine question that parents raise.

MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a case of corona....
real-human

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuGuru wrote:

the sickest of the sick believe dying from a virus is a joke.

nw30

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

real-human wrote:
MalibuGuru wrote:

The sickest of the sick believe that people dying from corona is good for the democrats.
What a disgusting thing to hang a political hat on. Rolling Eyes
real-human

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
real-human wrote:
MalibuGuru wrote:

The sickest of the sick believe that people dying from corona is good for the democrats.

you low level dumb f. Trump made political points attacking Obama for ebola. did you read the year before his announcement 100 tweets attacking Obama and gov over ebola. So take it out on your messenger you moron.

Is it true what goes around comes around. well you will be in hell if it is true no question you belong there with your love of trump.

vientomas

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
real-human wrote:
MalibuGuru wrote:

Who exactly believes that? Please provide names and quotes. Otherwise, it's only you.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We don’t know what effects the virus will have when it reaches wide spread swaths of the American population. Apparently, the death rate is, relatively, low. At least so far. And, the elderly are more susceptible to fatalities. At least so far.

My wife can, likely, run circles around most of the guys on this forum. Except maybe for the super human Isobars. But, she has asthma. This virus scares the shit out of me because none of us know what the virus will do to people like my wife.

My brother in law is truly an elite athlete and he had a case of pneumonia last month. He may well be at risk for this virus.

We need to take this seriously. Comments from ill informed internet health experts like Isobars should be ignored.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
real-human wrote:
MalibuGuru wrote:

The ultimate in sickness is cheer leading while Trump tries to dismantle the Federal government--and then blaming Democrats when it turns out to be a bad idea in the health care arena.
mac

PostPosted: Tue Mar 10, 2020 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It does make sense to maintain the medical capability to respond to pandemics--and read media to get some idea about what is happening.

Quote:
By
William Wan and
Joel Achenbach
March 10, 2020 at 7:00 a.m. PDT
One of the few mercies of the spreading coronavirus is that it leaves young children virtually untouched — a mystery virologists say may hold vital clues as to how the virus works.

In China, only 2.4 percent of reported cases were children and only 0.2 percent of reported cases were children who got critically ill, according to the World Health Organization. China has reported no case of a young child dying of the disease covid-19.

Meanwhile, the new coronavirus has proved especially deadly on the other end of the age spectrum. The fatality rate in China for those over 80 is an estimated 21.9 percent, per the WHO. For ages 10 to 39, however, the fatality rate is roughly 0.2 percent, according to a separate study drawing on patient records of 44,672 confirmed cases. And fatalities and severe symptoms are almost nonexistent at even younger ages.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 339, 340, 341  Next
Page 2 of 341

Jump to: