myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
I was one of thousands of wannabees
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windward1

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, let's see....off the top of my head Windsurfing options include:

The original windsurfer re-branded
The Windsurfer LT
The KONA
Slalom Boards finned
Slalom Boards foiled
Formula Boards
Race Boards Long
The Serenity
Freeride Boards finned
Freeride Boards foiled
Wave Boards finned in at least five varieties
Sailing SUPs

You pays your money and you takes your choice.

No reason to be a wannabee. Find what works for you at your age and enjoy!
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUCARO wrote:
I expect when I am 71 years old I wont be blasting around on a 90L board like dlee (ageing affects everyone differently and he is an outlier)

The people I sail with includes a guy we call "the Wolf" (his last name is vanderWolf). He'll turn 76 this summer. He's not superhuman or an exercise maven or anything unusual other than he loves to windsurf and SUP in the waves. We all love sailing with him because in our minds, if he's doing it at age ___ (I've been saying this since he turned 60) that means we can too.

https://www.peconicpuffin.com/the_peconic_puffin/2014/08/happy-birthday-to-the-wolf.html

I was out a couple of weeks ago in 4.2 conditions. A favorite moment was jibing to see the Wolf catching a few feet of air off of the modest chop. He's not the fastest guy out there, but he goes on out his 70, 80, 90 and 100 liter boards.

isobars

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUCARO wrote:
I expect when I am 71 years old I wont be blasting around on a 90L board like dlee (ageing affects everyone differently and he is an outlier)

Don't be so pessimistic. Three of us were the only WSers in the park one day, rigging up for winds gusting well into gale force territory (averaging upper 30s) and overhead swell. The only other person there walked up with big eyes and said, "I thought this was a young man's sport, but all I see is grey hair!"

I was the kid in the trio at 75 (with Stage IV cancer). Jim (quad bypass 20 years ago and cholesterol pushing 1,000 even now) was 78, Dan 79 (arthritis limits his sessions to just a few hours). Our boards ranged from 65 to 80 liters. We're not outliers; we just don't intend to quit until WSing and working out fail to compensate for age, incurable disease, or death. There are many guys and gals our age who still rip in big conditions. I'm still experimenting to figure out which drug is clobbering my endurance, because I know I didn't get 10-15 years older in the past year or two. I've already quit a few of them with some improvement, but a few of the major suspects are keeping me breathing.

How many birthdays we've had is usually a small factor. There are MANY changes in nutrition, exercise, and other habits which have been proven to dramatically enhance the length and quality of our lives, including eliminating most of the drugs we're told we need.
dvCali

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUCARO wrote:

I expect when I am 71 years old I wont be blasting around on a 90L board like dlee (ageing affects everyone differently ...

Exactly. The most annoying thing associated with aging is the seemingly never ending choir of people, from well intentioned friends to internet idiots, telling you what to do or how you should feel.

"Age is a state of mind"

"Sixty is the new forty! Eighty the new sixty"

"Eat ground nutmeg with cricket protein. You'll live forever"

"Exercise twice a day, but only once a day when it is full moon"

"No matter what you do: never ever eat carbohydrates. That is why we age: the carbohydrates!"

Reality is that it is all a matter of luck. Most of us eat reasonably well, exercise regularly, probably don't smoke or drink too much, and are not too overweight. That, taking care of your body, is all you can do. Then you flip the coin. There is Fred, who at 84 regularly pulls off 3 hours straight at the Stick and spends the winter in the Sierra skying. And there is Rob, who at 68-70 had to abandon not only windsurfing but any impact sport because of his back. He suspects that it might be taking revenge of his young years as a gymnast.

But who knows ... it's life, in its uncontrollable chaos.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isobars, I’m sorry I misjudged your first comment (# 2 in this thread).

I’m in my 37th season of windsurfing, will be 77 in a couple of months, and am still a wannabee in some ways, though I’m smarter about it now.

One thing glossed over in most of this thread is the issue of personal physical speed, AKA reaction time. Most people (I’m one) have or had only average reaction speed. Since about 2000 the width of serious beginner boards provides a split-second cushion of extra time for a rider to react & maybe fix whatever is causing a board to start tipping over. Often in the straight downwind leg of races I would have been faster on a beginner board that I could keep from being tipped over by following waves than I was on my 70 cm wide Kona.

Windsurfing now has much better beginner equipment. “Learn to windsurf in an afternoon” is a slogan with real results. I’m part of the surge in popularity of Pickleball. All of the geezers I play with have enough discretionary money to become windsurfers. Pickleball is gaining players because it isn’t elitist, doesn’t demand high athletic performance, & appeals to as many women as men. OK, compared to the average of those in their high 70s, my athletic performance could be described somewhat as “high.” But, out of a current US population estimated at 330 million there are millions of geezers with as much athletic ability as me and at least a million of those have enough money so we could add 25,000 or 50,000, or 100,000 geezer windsurfers if windsurfing as a whole worked together to do it
LUCARO

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 8:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvCali wrote:

Reality is that it is all a matter of luck. Most of us eat reasonably well, exercise regularly, probably don't smoke or drink too much, and are not too overweight. That, taking care of your body, is all you can do. Then you flip the coin. There is Fred, who at 84 regularly pulls off 3 hours straight at the Stick and spends the winter in the Sierra skying. And there is Rob, who at 68-70 had to abandon not only windsurfing but any impact sport because of his back. He suspects that it might be taking revenge of his young years as a gymnast.

But who knows ... it's life, in its uncontrollable chaos.

Exactly, I will be happy if I am still upright and breathing at 71. If i get more I will take it.
wernerhickey

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2020 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think there is some truth in the original posting. Out of the six or so friends that started windsurfing on wallies in the old days - I am the only one still going. A few dropped off in the early years as soon as things went low volume and super small(Hawaii inspired). They were perfectly happy to stay on what they had but the subtle pressure and sometimes overt comments are there all the time - it's not cool. The other day I overheard an instructor telling a new foiler that the high lift foil would be fine as a beginner but that they will soon progress to a race foil and would not be happy otherwise. The late 90s finished a lot of casual sailors off when it became all about superlight epoxy, pin nose, thick narrowish tails and very sharp rail slalom. I loved sailing these - but they were hard to sail - they only worked on the plane, they had to be pumped onto the fin, started virtually dead downwind and you needed to laydown gybe(at least big yank at the beginning of the gybe) to keep the fin in the water. It was either drink the cool aide or find something else to do because you would not turn up with anything else. I don't think sports are sustainable without a big base on the pyramid - unless we can make people feel great about sailing "easier" gear then we lose the base. It is available - no argument. Fun sail days, top sailors turning up to race etc - all good stuff. No blame - completely understandable, my undying gratitude to those who teach the sport and run social events.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: I was one of thousands of wannabees Reply with quote

DelCarpenter wrote:
I must confess I was one of thousands of wannabees who helped kill off what windsurfing was. I did that by being willing to buy & try to use equipment that was beyond my possible level of competence. I should have been clued in by comparing the rigging hassles of sails that required down haul winches with earlier sails that needed only a plastic cleat in my hand.

Over the years I did get rid of the gear that was higher performance than I could ever hope to be. Now I most often sail Kona boards which most sailors can ride in most conditions. I use Kona sails I can again completely downhaul without even using a plastic cleat. I haven’t used a downhaul winch for several years because the sails I use never need one to be rigged properly.

We should have some racing events limited to beginner boards & beginner sails. Top level sailors on beginner boards with beginner sails would still provide top level competition while encouraging newcomers to begin.

But are you happy

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You just nailed one of the many pitfalls of being concerned about being "cool". The very concept of the word is right up there with the word "macho", which as we all know is Spanish for stupid. The addition of sinkers to the board selection menu merely expands our choices, rather than forcing us away from what floats our personal boats. MANY of our early quitters in the old days quit because they were making no progress -- couldn't even rig, let alone sail -- the full-on race gear one sailor insisted they must learn on.

An outspoken bud once asked me whether I knew how stupid the glasses I wore when sailing looked. He got the point when I gurned* a funny face and said, "Sure ... but they WORK." And Lord knows the grief I get here about my board choices, but who gives a crap; they excel at what I want a board to do.

wernerhickey wrote:
I think there is some truth in the original posting. Out of the six or so friends that started windsurfing on wallies in the old days - I am the only one still going. A few dropped off in the early years as soon as things went low volume and super small(Hawaii inspired). They were perfectly happy to stay on what they had but the subtle pressure and sometimes overt comments are there all the time - it's not cool. The other day I overheard an instructor telling a new foiler that the high lift foil would be fine as a beginner but that they will soon progress to a race foil and would not be happy otherwise. The late 90s finished a lot of casual sailors off when it became all about superlight epoxy, pin nose, thick narrowish tails and very sharp rail slalom. I loved sailing these - but they were hard to sail - they only worked on the plane, they had to be pumped onto the fin, started virtually dead downwind and you needed to laydown gybe(at least big yank at the beginning of the gybe) to keep the fin in the water. It was either drink the cool aide or find something else to do because you would not turn up with anything else.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LUCARO wrote:
Exactly, I will be happy if I am still upright and breathing at 71. If i get more I will take it.

That's a personal choice, which makes it valid for yourself (if not for your family). Personally, I'd rather windsurf than die prematurely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 3 of 16

Jump to: