myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Starboard's wave boards too darn heavy!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manuel

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 9:56 pm    Post subject: Starboard's wave boards too darn heavy! Reply with quote

Vela has a bunch of kode waves, kode freewaves, and kode whatever. No matter the construction they seem heavy. My kode wave 87 in carbon weighs a ton (20 lbs), my Quad 82 in wood weighs around 17-18 lbs (not too bad).

JP models have been lighter so long as sticking with their light version.

My goya Freewave from 2006 in 77 weighs 16lbs, and my tabou dacurve from 2007 in 85 even less!

It seems tabous boards are always on the light side. Goyas are pretty light too.

Now does a heavier board last longer? I did hear about JP and Tabou boards falling apart or even snapping. When starboard decided to make their boards lighter were hit by reliability issues a few years back...

Neither my Tabou or goya had issues. They are carbon Kevlar.

EDIT: 18lbs without no straps and fins, 3lbs over... balanced board in my arms, felt heavy backend... Poked hole through bottom and got water.

EDIT2; pin hole found inside anti twist tab... can't believe it!

Last edited by manuel on Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:02 am; edited 2 times in total
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Many of my wave boards of several brands weigh 13-14 pounds, even less in smaller sizes. They weren't known for their durability, but that's why I buy backups of the best ones. I've had only one fail, and I suspect it was damaged when I bought it at $100.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 10:11 am    Post subject: Re: Starboard's wave boards too darn heavy! Reply with quote

Do you find you notice the weight anywhere but the beach carry? Just
curious, because I have a Goya custom wave that weighs about 16 lbs and
an Open Ocean that weighs about 19 lbs, and the place I notice the weight
the most is carrying the thing down to the water. After that I really don't
notice, but I don't do freestyle.

-Craig

manuel wrote:
Vela has a bunch of kode waves, kode freewaves, and kode whatever. No matter the construction they seem heavy. My kode wave 87 in carbon weighs a ton (20 lbs), my Quad 82 in wood weighs around 17-18 lbs (not too bad).

JP models have been lighter so long as sticking with their light version.

My goya Freewave from 2006 in 77 weighs 16lbs, and my tabou dacurve from 2007 in 85 even less!

It seems tabous boards are always on the light side. Goyas are pretty light too.

Now does a heavier board last longer? I did hear about JP and Tabou boards falling apart or even snapping. When starboard decided to make their boards lighter were hit by reliability issues a few years back...

Neither my Tabou or goya had issues. They are carbon Kevlar.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:00 am    Post subject: Re: Starboard's wave boards too darn heavy! Reply with quote

You might have taken on water! My Kode Carbon 81 is 6.1 Kg even ...
manuel

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dv, possible, seems throughout tho, what year and model is yours?
Should I spray it with soap and water in the sun? No soft spots otherwise or imbalance.

cg, beach carry + jumps. It helps getting planing down a wave and hurts trying to plane uphill!

I know my straps are a bit heavy, fins g10 twin 16.5s actually lighter than shorter same model MUF.

EDIT: my notes said it was a touch lighter than my Quad wood originally boooooooo!
dcharlton

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pick up the 2017 ultra kode, one of the lightest wave boards out there.

DC
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Factory listed weights are no fins, no straps, and sometimes no pads.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ken Winner and crew tested the effects of board weight decades ago on ride, planing ease, speed, and more. They compared different constructions, added 5-pound weights at the mastfoot, etc. to vary the weight w/o changing the shapes. Results in a nutshell: weight don't mean crap on the water. Guess what: the water holds it up! The same test today might find some angular momentum differences noticeable in extreme freestyle.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
dv, possible, seems throughout tho, what year and model is yours?
Should I spray it with soap and water in the sun? No soft spots otherwise or imbalance.

cg, beach carry + jumps. It helps getting planing down a wave and hurts trying to plane uphill!

I know my straps are a bit heavy, fins g10 twin 16.5s actually lighter than shorter same model MUF.

EDIT: my notes said it was a touch lighter than my Quad wood originally boooooooo!

It is a 2018: nice board! And as Lee implies, you should compare weight among naked boards ... maybe it is not as bad as it looks!

As far as the idea that weight does not matter, Isobar, we can look back to almost 2500 years ago for the reason why it actually does. Archimede's principle: the buoyant force exercised by water on a object is equal to the weight of the body of water displaced by the object. A coin sinks, hammer out the coin in a shape of a little boat and it will float, add weight to that little boat and it will sink again.

Not only that, but the heavier the board the larger is the force needed to take it out of displacement. That is thanks to Newton's law (acceleration is proportional to the force applied divided by the mass of the object).

And that's why the old Tiga plastic boards felt like anchors compared to an fiberglass board of similar shape. Or why windsurfs/surf/kites are built using EPS and epoxy instead of heavier polyurethane and polyester resin.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A planing (often even when transitioning from displacement to planing) board's mass isn't nearly as relevant as its shape.

A plastic Tiga B&J board blew away the entire test fleet, including several race boards, in speed tests from WSMag.

Real world tests (e.g., terrain, drag, ooching) often take in far more factors than, thus often override, simplistic ideal world theories. (Consider how seldom no-brainer nutritional supplements turn out to be duds at best, harmful at worst. Throw in flying machines, breaking the sound barrier, and the Alamogordo "atom bomb" test for good measure.) MSMag's tests concluded that only in ooching did board mass provide any measurable, still very slight, disadvantage. I'd attribute that to Archimedes, Newton, AND a few of their chronological peers.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 14, 15, 16  Next
Page 1 of 16

Jump to: