myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
red tide

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
systemslib

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 7:56 am    Post subject: red tide Reply with quote

Was reading a red tide article via large news org and noticed they interviewed a long time poster here, professor @ SW Florida. Congrats on the tenure and hope you can make a positive scientific contribution to help fight the problem.

I have to assume nobody can do their favorite water activities in such? Maybe just hardcore surfers/windsurfers in latest gear which will probably combine neoprene with haz mat suits.

Probably why have already seen great winter flight deals already to same area, must really hammer the tourist business not to mention devastate the ecosystem. Like the dead zone off Louisiana seems like these conditions are becoming more and more common, not just the Gulf of Mexico but freshwater lake algae blooms, etc. Guess toxic algae is a winner going forward......
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: red tide Reply with quote

systemslib wrote:
Was reading a red tide article via large news org and noticed they interviewed a long time poster here, professor @ SW Florida. Congrats on the tenure and hope you can make a positive scientific contribution to help fight the problem.

I have to assume nobody can do their favorite water activities in such? Maybe just hardcore surfers/windsurfers in latest gear which will probably combine neoprene with haz mat suits.

Probably why have already seen great winter flight deals already to same area, must really hammer the tourist business not to mention devastate the ecosystem. Like the dead zone off Louisiana seems like these conditions are becoming more and more common, not just the Gulf of Mexico but freshwater lake algae blooms, etc. Guess toxic algae is a winner going forward......

James Douglass. He covers red tides in his posts on FB

https://www.facebook.com/james.douglass.144

Andrei
capetonian

PostPosted: Fri Nov 15, 2019 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not recommend water play during red tide. I went windsurfing at the end of the red tide last year when it was mostly dissipated and I wasn't really aware of it standing on the beach. Once on the water I was slightly aware of it but figured it was dissipated enough it didn't matter. By the end of an hour I couldn't stop coughing, and the cough stayed with me for nearly 10 days afterwards. Not worth it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: