myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
2nd (Lightwind) Board Advice Needed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alap

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coach, friendly advice - stop telling your wife about sashimi SmileSmile
it is very risky on your part. you may end up with more sashimi on your face than you want Smile
mmclimbhigh

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 8:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I too, love sashimi! But, I'm not interested in foiling.

A good season for me is 30 days on the water. The majority of those days are 15+ kts on the 110L Firemove. If I had a better quiver, I could easily bump that up to 40 days. I have 4 or 5 good sailing options within an hour's drive, depending on the wind direction or strength. My question was asked to explore different BOARD OPTIONS for lighter wind days, not different disciplines.

I'm surprised that nobody threw out the kiting suggestion! I spend a couple dozen days snowkiting here in the San Juans each winter. But.... I have no desire to be a water kiter. Again, I just have too much fun windsurfing. And I still have soooo much to learn!
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See if you can find one of these used, I think they last made them in 2011. http://epikoo.com/windsurfing/boards/angulo-sumo-2009

I'm a fan of the 155, it's only 72cm wide, but it is pretty light, planes early,
and is pretty jibeable. It'll carry an 8.4 no problem, and will be stable
and easy to uphaul. I bought mine new back in 2011 for about $600.

You can also get it in a 125, but at my weight, that just wasn't planey enough.
It's a little bigger than what you need, but the shape really lends
itself to feeling smaller than it is.

-Craig

mmclimbhigh wrote:
I too, love sashimi! But, I'm not interested in foiling.

A good season for me is 30 days on the water. The majority of those days are 15+ kts on the 110L Firemove. If I had a better quiver, I could easily bump that up to 40 days. I have 4 or 5 good sailing options within an hour's drive, depending on the wind direction or strength. My question was asked to explore different BOARD OPTIONS for lighter wind days, not different disciplines.

I'm surprised that nobody threw out the kiting suggestion! I spend a couple dozen days snowkiting here in the San Juans each winter. But.... I have no desire to be a water kiter. Again, I just have too much fun windsurfing. And I still have soooo much to learn!
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anything sorta light and floaty.
Look used, plan to spend $600. All boards are good.
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 12:32 pm    Post subject: Re: 2nd (Lightwind) Board Advice Needed Reply with quote

mmclimbhigh wrote:
“I'm definitely interested in foiling”
and
“I'm not interested in foiling”

Do you see, alap, why we’re confused?
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advice is sometimes based on experience.
Some of us have gone thru the light wind dilemma a few times so we're just expressing advice.
Take it or leave it, choice is what makes freedom great.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Data points:

Only people who don't foil are pushing you away from it.
They are also the only ones calling it a different discipline (raceboard is far different but we still call that windsurfing).
A foil is cheaper, easier to bring and has more range than another board.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i recommended the nano from exocet.

there is an ocean of chatter about foiling,

how about the x-cross 130?

https://progressivesports.com/exocet-2015-x-cross-130-130

XCROSS pro model will set up a new trend in the freeride world, not only it is a fast board but it turns amazingly, rails are extremely thin for a board of that width making it a perfect platform for all weather and wind condition.The fairly deep VE under the mast base will make you forget how thin the board is but then in manoeuvre the beast will reveal itself....an outstanding board for sure!!!Features-DDSA: Double Density Shock Absorber-E.U.R: Exocet Unique Ride-QC: Quality Construction-D.S: Double Sandwich construction including new generation biaxial fiber glass-New Footstraps, super comfortable and easy to adjust. Size: 240 x 82 Volume: 130 liters Weight; 7.30kg Fin: 40cm powerbox Sail size: 6.6 - 9.0

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
alap

PostPosted: Thu Sep 26, 2019 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

grantmac017 wrote:
Data points:

Only people who don't foil are pushing you away from it.
They are also the only ones calling it a different discipline (raceboard is far different but we still call that windsurfing).
A foil is cheaper, easier to bring and has more range than another board.

hey, don't distort!!

I am pushing nothing.
I am answering Question.
You are pushing without asking.
You like foiling - good for you!

But stop pushing.
And stop your gaslighting, projecting, accusing others in what you are doing.

Nobody asked in this thread any opinion about foiling, period.

Go foil and keep your accusations to yourself.
alap

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2019 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmclimbhigh wrote:
I've been skiing for 40 years (a handful of those professionally and a good bit of those seasons well over 100 days) and I absolutely love it!

Uphauling a 7.2+ sail is a pain in the ass. And, with my limited skills, waterstarting said sail in a 8kt puff of wind is undoable. I can only imagine that the 8.5 would be exponentially worse.

i was skiing for 40+ years too, although not professionally, and never more than 50 days a season but like you I absolutely love it. I also deviated to kiteskiing for 6 years between 2000...2006 and had few heliskiing like days on mountain lake but eventually I quit, because it was wind dependent and started to interfere with my skiing. Ski in the winter, wsrfng in the summer and SUP surfing in the ocean when wifey forces me into the warm country.

Anyways about my big board experience. I have 3 big boards now.
Formula , I bought it around 2004 with 10.0 to have it like an insurance against no wind days. I was totally not interested in nonplaning part of windsurfing. Surely I had several days when I was the only guy in the water in the harness and in straps, but eventually I sold this 10.0 rig - too little range, too heavy just to carry toward the water, so I used Formula with 8.5 again for planing conditions only.

At that point ~2012 I bought Fanatic Ray 130, width 73, sails 6.8...9.5
hoping to use it with 8.5 If the wind blows it is perfect with 8.5, footstraps, harness, everything as usual. The problem with inland lakes are lulls. Uphauling it in the lull is possible but only if it is flat. There is absolutely no way I was able to uphaul it in the rough water, light wind conitions, definetely nothing close to the conditions like in the vid I post in the end.

So I bought Ray 145 width 81, sails 7.0... 10.0 and for my intermediate skills it was a ticket. But despite the 10.0 label for me it woulda be very difficult to sail it with a bigger sail. I am sure experts will be able to, for me bigger sails woulda be a big struggle.
So IMHO the width, even few lousy cms , is very critical - for uphauling big sail, shlogging, keeping upwind.

It is not a surprise that almost everyone in this thread recommended you 80+ width board. The only thing I suggest - don't try to cut the angles and agree on something "slightly" narrower. Expert can do it, intermediate can't

I want also to add that I didn't sell my Formula. I started to use it on a very light air lake for sailing in non planing conditions. I learned pivot jybe, light air duck jybe, light air backwinding. I did it with sails from 4.5 to 8.5 If there were two good gusts I did two good runs in straps, and then spend the rest of the time just shlogging upwind and pivoting

So this is my second big board and it doesn't go nowhere. You can keep on a lookout for good quality second hand Formula for non big bucks.

Bit this summer just almost by accident I bought from my almost neighbour a FUC, and I really really love it for light air days. Gliding is fun and the gradual increase in the non planning wind means gradual increase in fun (on Formula it is on/off proposition) May be it is age , may be it is more time in retirement and hence ability to spend and enjoy more time in the water, but I certainly agree with Del:

DelCarpenter wrote:

5. I agree planning is the most fun on a windsurfer (though foiling might have taken that crown). But, gliding on a windsurfer is also a source of joy.
6. Adding a gliding long board will add more joy (and more time on the water) for mmclimbhigh than any other solution.

this is a very inexpensive idea, but Mistral or FUC in good condition will be a biggest bang for a buck.

So yeah, 3 options, used Formula, 80+ freeride or freerace, any good modern board, new, closeout or used, must be light construction though, and used longboard classics. Best of all they are not mutually exclusive. and actually, I use FUC with 7.0 and Ray with 7.0 and 8.5 (fifty/fifty)

Finally take a look from yesterday at Lake Skaha BC. I never saw such strong waves, probably because it was a new launching spot for me. I was very well powered on 7.0 and Ray 145 from the beginning. I shoulda be on 6.0 and 115 Blast, but I didn't took Blast with me this time (it was in my trailer for last 5 years on this lake and was never used). First run in this clip I even kinda try to surf the waves on this board. But then in a matter of 15 minutes it had build up (my second run, take a look around 4:40). I probably coulda continue to sail but I changed to smaller fin and 6.0 and it was very comfortable even on this big board and rough water. Then it died, so I shlogged for half an hour and swapped sails back to 7.0 and had another fantastic hour, and then shlogged for another hour.

All in all a single board, and there is no way I coulda pull it out on a smaller board. Yes, it woulda be right for an hour or so, but then it woulda be swimming, because from lull to gust it takes nothing on typical inland lake.

here is the video, and yes it is just to show what this wide board can do with 7.0 in very rough water for an intermediate sailor. not my average talent and my mistakes Smile

https://youtu.be/Ip1tKzRe7R0

my two cents, or may be a bit more Smile
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 4 of 7

Jump to: