myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Any lighter freestylers out there? What board do you love?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
amarie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 10, 2019 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - that’s really useful info. I am wanting more of the sliding/pivoting type board, so I guess the newer school design. I’ll keep that in mind.

ss59 wrote:
Just be a little cautious with the year board you go for as the shape concept has changed a fair bit over time.

I think older freestyle boards (c2010) were very good for fast carving moves as well as new school freestyle. The 2010-2011 Starboard Flare 98 was an all-time classic shape for that type of sailing.

As the freestyle discipline developed, in around 2012, some of the shapes were much more dedicated and focused explicitly on pop and spinning aerial moves. As a result, I think, the shapes lost some of their more general appeal. Interestingly, Fanatic did two different ranges of Freestyle boards 2013 to 2017, a Team Edition (short, wide, domed decked dedicated FS) and a standard (longer, narrower allrounder)

By 2016, the SB Flare was a lot more like the older designs in allround appeal, and the 2020 SB Ignite looks like a complete return back to the broader, less dedicated freestyle appeal of the older boards while maintaining the ability to be a world-class FS board.

All depends on what you want to do on a freestyle board.

also worth checking on the fin boxes, one year one of the brands used a slot box which some people didn't like
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: