myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Foil For Sale
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Sep 15, 2019 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OTOH, my buying experience from a long-time Slingshot employee was excellent. Relevant details:
• I know very little about foiling or foils yet.
• I bought my 2018 Wizard 125 very lightly used from that employee at a swap meet, not a dealership. He was selling it for a friend who was switching to a 105 Wizard, so he had no direct profit motive.
• I bought my 2019 I76 foil from a dealer.
That said, here is my experience.

The SS employee spent close to an hour with me, despite having no direct skin in the game. He gave me very extensive advice, including foil board model and size performance comparisons, Slingshot foil selection (2019 I76, without question, at my stage), and setup and learning advice. He also included a second, longer, mast, and a 2018 foil wing.

I hadn't and still haven't compared the SS components to the competition, so maybe my admiration for the foil's engineering and construction is misguided. My components look and fit exceptionally well-designed and implemented, including their new mast-to-fuselage connection boss that allayed my concerns about a full-depth socket at that joint. Everything feels rock solid to the hand, but then I haven't yet sailed it anywhere nearly enough to evaluate its performance or SS's service. If this employee is a representative sample of SS's employees, I'm not worried about their service.

Silly me? Time may tell.
Gwarn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
He was selling it for a friend who was switching to a 105 Wizard, so he had no direct profit motive

Out of the goodness of his heart.

Ya right, you bought that line.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2019 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done that, I've seen others do it, it made sense, it wouldn't affect the sale or the price, and I tend to trust people unless and until they prove unworthy. The owner lives many hours away, his name and phone number were on the board, and follow-up phone calls to the swap meet seller were equally productive. Smile

I've gotten more cynical as I've aged and observed, and my cynicism may someday catch up with yours. Until then, I know I'm doing something right when telephone scammers call me and open the conversation with "You GDMFPOS" before I can even take a deep breath to begin same. Very Happy
airwave

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody....take a breath...Foils are going through really rapid tech changes.

Mfg's and dealers are investing into products and and suddenly ... changes.
Early adopting users are learning and changing due to their experience and next product design.

All this creates stress but it's just part of the game.

Personally I'm waiting for design changes that incorporate quick release components that will make foil rigging and derigging easier and quicker. The grease, plumbers tape, multiple bolts, and overall incompatibility of components and materials needs to change. Some designers are doing better than others but only within their own line-up.

Didn't we learn this with fin boxes, booms, extensions, and universals decades ago?

B T W ... Isobars, you are no more cynical than you were years ago Very Happy
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

airwave wrote:
B T W ... Isobars, you are no more cynical than you were years ago Very Happy

I posed that implied question to the expert: my wife of 50 years. Zero hesitation: YES.

We quickly agreed on some causes:
This forum and its predecessor, rec.windsurfing.
Telephone scammers and spammers.
The many stresses of medical problems, #1 being insurers.
Leftards. Not Democrats or liberals: Leftards who voluntarily earn that title by their behavior, not their political persuasion.)
Sad
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First he badmouths the Slingshot gear...then he talks horribly about the wonderful kind, patient folks in the Slingshot customer service center who provide so much help and encouragement to everyone they talk to.

Now he has the nerve to trash talk the good name of used car salesmen around the world. I think we all can agree that we would neither have been graced with the presence of gwarn or half the living windsurfers if it were not for the back seat of used cars sold by those godly gentlemen the used car salesmen.

This guy has got to learn to live life by a brighter light. Smile every once and a while, take deep breaths and enjoy his used car salesman given life!

Love you guys, these forums are hilarious! Keep trollin!
wyattmiller

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if you know Gwarn... please give him a hug. I think he needs it.
Gwarn

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
First he badmouths the Slingshot gear

Just stating the facts about all the different things that happened to me during my ownership of your hoverglide product.

Quote:
then he talks horribly about the wonderful kind, patient folks in the Slingshot customer service center

Never had opportunity to speak to the sweet kind people on your customer service team as they never return my emails. My local dealer switched the delaminated wing out on the spot.

Quote:
Now he has the nerve to trash talk the good name of used car salesmen around the world. I think we all can agree that we would neither have been graced with the presence of gwarn or half the living windsurfers if it were not for the back seat of used cars sold by those godly gentlemen the used car salesmen.

Spoken like a ture salesman when confronted with facts deflect it and attempt to spin it.

Quote:
This guy has got to learn to live life by a brighter light. Smile every once and a while, take deep breaths and enjoy his used car salesman given life!

I count my blessing everyday and I smile alot and I thank the good lord that I don't have to live the used car salesman life pedaling other peoples wears.

Quote:
Keep trollin!
Before your post there was nothing negative going on in this thread so who's the troll here?

After all this back-and -forth lip you still have not answered any questions about this Holy Grail "Phantasm" foil that was to be released in august and now as been bumped back by 6 months. I won't speculate.
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Before your post there was nothing negative going on in this thread so who's the troll here?"

You must have missed isobars' last post.
hubcapmike

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why are foils so expensive? out of reach for the average joe non highly paid tech /engineer /programmer/ etc. I get it. r+d advertising low production numbers etc but still? Its a glorified fin with a wing attached.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: