myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Black chinese tendon
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 12:10 pm    Post subject: Black chinese tendon Reply with quote

Hey wind freaks, just received a black chinese tendon. It's a bit thicker on the top and bottom. Fit my streamlined extension without modifying it although it may need a longer safety line as the holes aren't offset like in the generic tendon bases.

Seems flexible. At least not doa Very Happy !!! Will update with long (or short!) term use.

UPDATE:

Although it fit tightly my newer streamlined mast base, it was more difficult to get it to fit my old one. Two reasons. One, the holes are not necessarily drilled straight, they are slightly at an angle so both off center and non-parallel with the edge. After some sanding and prying on the tendon to fit the screws in, I was able to fit it inside my old base.

The tendon is longer than the Streamlined but the holes are drilled with the same distance from the ends. They are inline so it's best to have a safety line slightly longer so that the safety tabs are in opposite ends otherwise they may bump into each other. I decided to leave it as is as I'm not sure I'll be using those long term, we'll see how it works out on the water.

I will update again after sailing some. It's good that the tendons fit as tightly as possible inside the base and it'll have reduce the stress on the screw holes.

My last Streamlined tendon, used for a few months now, hasn't started to crack while my old ones did after 1-2 months. This last one was a much tighter fit than previous ones, possibly this is why.

Last edited by manuel on Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:30 pm; edited 3 times in total
fathomfathom

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Black tendon is typically Chinook.
Streamline and Chinook tendons are within a few mm of each other (both diameter and length) so if you have a Streamline base you should use the orange Streamline extension otherwise it will not fit properly and will have undue play/stress where you can't see inside the base.
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Aug 13, 2019 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The tendon has more meat above and below the holes than the Chinook. Holes line up too. I believe it most fit bases similar to this one:

manuel

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although it fit tightly my newer streamlined mast base, it was more difficult to get it to fit my old one. Two reasons. One, the holes are not necessarily drilled straight, they are slightly at an angle so both off center and non-parallel with the edge. After some sanding and prying on the tendon to fit the screws in, I was able to fit it inside my old base.

The tendon is longer than the Streamlined but the holes are drilled with the same distance from the ends. They are inline so it's best to have a safety line slightly longer so that the safety tabs are in opposite ends otherwise they may bump into each other. I decided to leave it as is as I'm not sure I'll be using those long term, we'll see how it works out on the water.

I will update again after sailing some. It's good that the tendons fit as tightly as possible inside the base and it'll have reduce the stress on the screw holes.

My last Streamlined tendon, used for a few months now, hasn't started to crack while my old ones did after 1-2 months. This last one was a much tighter fit than previous ones, possibly this is why.

spennie

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geeze, guys, do you really like a tendon that much better? I can't imagine there's any provable benefit except a firmer feel. I stopped using tendons a long time ago for the very reasons stated here---they don't last, and every time you break a uni there's a good chance you're gonna punch a hole in your board. I've used good ol' rubber hourglass unis for decades, they last for years, and if you give them a bend before going out, cracks are easily detected before a catastrophic failure.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with Spennie. Seen too many broken and punching holes around mast base with safety line attached.
Been using mechanical Chinook over 15 days with 85 liter boards. Feels like uni.
windward1

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

15 days is not a whole lot of test time..... Wink
jpf18

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2019 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

spennie wrote:
Geeze, guys, do you really like a tendon that much better?
If indeed "my old [Streamlined] ones did [crack] after 1-2 months." then I'd say yeah, you really are in the market for a better solution.
manuel

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only sharing my experience with the Chinese tendon. My detailed thoughts about mast bases are on my site here: http://windsurfing.lepicture.com/tips-and-tricks/ the boge and mechanical are both reviewed... Wink !

Anyway, on the Chinese tendon, it seems to be more rubbery than the orange streamlined version. So a bit more absorbing and possibly yield to longer lifespan (will update here). I didn't feel any difference with rig response between the two. As an example I found the boge stiffer and more prone to flip the board over.

The streamlined tendon developed slight cracks after 1-2 months but wouldn't be noticed unless pulled apart. Cracks became large enough needing replacement between 3-6 months. For me this is about 50-100 sessions. In non humid climates I'd except more. They seem to disintegrate here.

Vela had reported a lifespan of about a year+ for their black tendons. I got jealous!

jpf18

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
The streamlined tendon developed slight cracks after 1-2 months but wouldn't be noticed unless pulled apart. Cracks became large enough needing replacement between 3-6 months. For me this is about 50-100 sessions. In non humid climates I'd except more. They seem to disintegrate here.

Bad batch? The Chinook tendons I've been using for years are holding a couple seasons / ~100 sessions without developing visible cracks (I check before every outing by bending; I keep them out of sunlight). I've seen them swell a little and discolor/fade, time for routine replacement. Never tried the Streamlined but I see them out there, they should hold just as long?!
JP
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: