myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Megan Rapinoe
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
mac wrote:
Sigh. How sad.
Yes it is, but for a different reason.
There is nothing worse than trying to combine sports with politics, it's ruining ESPN, because they can't help themselves, so their ratings are down in the dumps, entering CNN territory. Colin Krapernick did a pretty good job at trying to ruin the NFL with his politics, and now we have that self-important, glory hog, Rapinoe trying to do the same thing with her own golden goose, soccer.
She was a sad joke on the ESPY's last night, what a tool.
But go ahead and keep her on your political pedestal along with Colin Krapernick, whom I sure you hold in similar esteem.

ESPN is printing money, Disney's cash cow, and you think politics is "ruining ESPN", that's beyond laughable...Politics has very very little impact on the millions of men who park it front of SportsCenter every night--its one of the few most valuable cable TV franchises still alive. ESPN is probably worth about $40B, generating over $2.5B of FCF a year...
NW...another one of your politically charged posts, nice work.

Last edited by boggsman1 on Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mat-ty wrote:
On a side not....Last year I was supposed to see Frampton but plans got messed up. I was never a huge fan or follower but I always thought he would be fun to see.....I saw him the other night and was absolutely blown away.
Heavy blues, little jazzy, long jams, and tight as a frogs butt. His band was insanely good. a few covers , Georgia on my mind, black hole sun, my guitar gentle weeps, and a few others.

This will be his last tour and I would highly recommend seeing him...

agree...he still brings it...
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz--your remarks embody the old man behind a fence attitude, the young women of the country love Megan, and so do we here in Northern California. CONGRATS USA, a great accomplishment!!!!!!!

BTW - the pay argument stems from the revenue domestically. The company my wife works for actually made up the difference and paid them... And the TV ratings for US women are higher than those for the men. In terms of the men, its just sad for a great country with vast resources than we cant produce a better kickball team....

Sorry that facts bore you. So much easier to run on uninformed emotion. If the women of this country love her so much, why do only 3,000 or so turn up to watch her play in Seattle? That's the reason women players are paid so little. Simple economics. The overwhelming majority of customers will only part with their hard earned dollars to watch the best. That's not the women in any mainstream sport and that's why they rightfully get paid a lot less than the men.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
Inspirational American hero in my book. Congratulations to the US Women. Question: why can't the American men even make the cup?

Bard/Matty....MAGA -flakes!!!!

Because women from other countries are women. And men are men. Not much confusion.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

a:Because nobody cares about professional soccer in the US.

But when the three letters USA are involved, it gets exciting. Mr. G. I'm not that emotionally invested in the pay gap argument, I'm just thrilled that the US Women did the job for the 4th time. I'm a sports junkie, and I love it when the US does well, sorry to bore you. Another thing that bothers me , while watching Wimbledon, is the fact that there are ZERO American men in the mix. I grew up watching Johnny Mac, Jimmy, Pete and Andre, Jim Currier, Michael Chang....now we have nobody.
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mat-ty wrote:
On a side not....Last year I was supposed to see Frampton but plans got messed up. I was never a huge fan or follower but I always thought he would be fun to see.....I saw him the other night and was absolutely blown away.
Heavy blues, little jazzy, long jams, and tight as a frogs butt. His band was insanely good. a few covers , Georgia on my mind, black hole sun, my guitar gentle weeps, and a few others.

Got my tix awhile back, going to see him in early October, hopefully he'll still be as healthy as when you just saw him. Should be awesome, always a fan all the way back to the Humble Pie days.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
mat-ty wrote:

Got my tix awhile back, going to see him in early October, hopefully he'll still be as healthy as when you just saw him. Should be awesome, always a fan all the way back to the Humble Pie days.

You will not be disappointed!!!!!!! He played ...i don't need no doctor!!

Check out the song Me an my Guitar from his new album......great tune
mac

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only thing interesting coming from the right is what will be advanced to rationalize misogyny. First, nobody seems to have listened to what she said, and her plea for more understanding and being our better selves. Of course in response, mrgybe lectures us about inspiring little girls--ignoring the profane comments of his fellows on the right and his President. Of course he doubles down on women's athletic abilities. While there is a lot of truth in his argument that the economic value of the different sports determines the pot of money to be divided, his delivery is so arrogant as to offend everyone anywhere near the center.

The more important fight over equal pay exists in the workplace, and nobody left of center or not male forgets that the GOP has fought a rear guard action against any even tiny movement toward more pay equity.

As boggs points out, gybe is just plain wrong about how the women's soccer team and Rapinhoe in particular inspire women. I tuned in thinking I would watch a bit; I watched the whole game and the US women absolutely dominated. I opened the paper the next morning to see one of my first grade girls from last year watching on the street in Berkeley outside the modern art museum, USA painted on her face. I know at least two women who have gone on to college on athletic scholarships, both in rowing. This is what sports means to both boys and girls. It is an opportunity to excel, to learn to overcome hardship and failure by concentration, coaching and hard work. It has value to those who don't go on to making money in sports, as well as the tiny number (not windsurfers) who do. It is this that Rapinhoe inspires. Too sad that you guys missed it.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know its crazy to think that some old guy in the Mountains of rural SW Virginia knows more about young females than Athleta and ClifBar...
mrgybe

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2019 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rapinoe had a great opportunity to inspire young girls to emulate her. Instead she chose to repeatedly yell out profanities and push her political agenda. If you find it inspiring, that's your choice. I don't. My daughters agree. My granddaughter has been raised to push back against profanity. Perhaps some old guy in Marin with no daughters or granddaughters has special insight into the opinions of the females of this country.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 2 of 9

Jump to: