myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
NW storm wind and showers!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
windfind

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2019 7:14 pm    Post subject: NW storm wind and showers!!!! Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

So today, Sunday, May 26, probably has you shaking your head since the wind and showers are coming from the W to NW. So how can that happen? Go to the bottom of this forum thread to see the answer!

Mike Godsey

From earlier this season:
In the first image check out the perfectly formed eddy from dawn to 5 PM this afternoon.

In the second image note how the eddy impacted the winds at each site. Most importantly note the building northerly winds west of the eddy AND the hint of a strong pressure gradient over Palo Alto to Morgan Hill towards Pacheco Pass to San Luis.

These events are harbingers of the eddies fast death tomorrow as an elephant of a North Pacific High blasts this flea-like eddy away with its NW winds.

Watch for images of this destruction tomorrow.

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
Weatheflow.com

EddyPerfect 10 hrs 05-24 16_55_37.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.79 MB
 Viewed:  25685 Time(s)

EddyPerfect 10 hrs 05-24 16_55_37.gif

EddySensorsPerfect.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.55 MB
 Viewed:  25685 Time(s)

EddySensorsPerfect.gif

Last edited by windfind on Sun May 26, 2019 5:56 pm; edited 2 times in total
windfind

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And... the eddy dies abruptly as the North Pacific High's surface NW winds reclaim their waters:

EddydiesNW wind2019-05-25 06_21_55.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.38 MB
 Viewed:  25642 Time(s)

EddydiesNW wind2019-05-25 06_21_55.gif

TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...so, what's in the cards for today/tomorrow?!? 🤔
dvCali

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 3:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Eddy dies right on schedule! Reply with quote

windfind wrote:

These events are harbingers of the eddies fast death tomorrow as an elephant of a North Pacific High blasts this flea-like eddy away with its NW winds.

Does not look like ... you could see west winds toward the Farallon Islands this morning but it died out and now it has turned south west again ... looks like rain again ..
dllee

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You got a foil. Go to stick and rig a 5.0.
TheItalianJobber

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's this Sunday morning at Anita's Rock supposed to becoming from?

Screenshot_20190525-155135_Samsung Internet.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  137.99 KB
 Viewed:  25517 Time(s)

Screenshot_20190525-155135_Samsung Internet.jpg

windfind

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2019 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Does not look like ... you could see west winds toward the Farallon Islands this morning but it died out and now it has turned southwest again ... looks like rain again ..

Hi dvCali, You might want to check your source for Farallon Islands wind data. I checked the official data and 2 other sources and the Bodega buoy, Farallon Islands, S. F. buoy and the Monterey buoy sensors showed WNW to NW winds all day today.

You are right about the rain coming but this storm atypical since it is dropping towards us from the NORTH. So rather than our usual southerly storm wind we will see squally NW storm winds and rain tomorrow. This is also answers bipbip's question cause the strong UP AND DOWN NW winds at Anita Rock tomorrow morning and elsewhere about the Bay.

The eddy did die right on schedule overnight but we still had mysterious SW winds at 3rd. today. I have spent the whole afternoon trying to figure out why that would happen with no eddy and such strong NW ocean winds. The cause of the 3rd. SW wind was the very strong SW winds hitting the hilltops in the area and the gaps in the Hwy. 92 area tend to funnel such wind to 3rd. But I, and the models, don't have a clue what was causing those SW winds aloft.

Mike Godsey
Weatheflow.com

ZZ67FF68B0.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  29.97 KB
 Viewed:  25497 Time(s)

ZZ67FF68B0.jpg

windfind

PostPosted: Sun May 26, 2019 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

Oldtimers or weather geeks know that storm winds and showers almost always blow from the south. That is why if you are one of the hearty few that are riders of the storm you know to head to Half Moon Bay, Doran or Alameda which usually have the cleanest storm winds.

So today probably has you shaking your head since the wind and showers are coming from the W to NW. So how can that happen? Take a look at this satellite animation and you can see that the storm dropped toward the Bay Area from the north rather than the Pacific. Which puts the southerly storm winds over the Sierra Nevada and the Bay Area in the NW wind zone.

As you look at this massive storm compare it to the tiny eddy that played such a pivotal role in our winds this spring.

Mike Godsey
Weatheflow.com

StormNWnphWInd05-26 11_18_22.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.7 MB
 Viewed:  25420 Time(s)

StormNWnphWInd05-26 11_18_22.gif

dvCali

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

windfind wrote:
Quote:
Does not look like ... you could see west winds toward the Farallon Islands this morning but it died out and now it has turned southwest again ... looks like rain again ..

Hi dvCali, You might want to check your source for Farallon Islands wind data. I checked the official data and 2 other sources and the Bodega buoy, Farallon Islands, S. F. buoy and the Monterey buoy sensors showed WNW to NW winds all day today.

Hi Mike, my source is visual. I have a clean shot to the Farallon from my house, and that is of course the extent by which I can "predict"(rather: observe) the wind. Last Saturday morning you could see the wind line receding toward the west until it was completely gone. Westerly came back very weakly a couple of hours later ...

Hoping for the best today!
windfind

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2019 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi dvCali,

Normally a visual, especially through a telescope, of the Farallon Islands wind line would be a great indicator.

But since the NW wind that day was a precursor of the NW storm wind Sunday all the models had very patchy NW wind even past the Farallons. So my guess is that you were probably seeing a patch of strong NW wind giving way to a lull in the NW winds. Looking at the Farallon Islands sensor data for the day in question I can see a pronounced fade from upper-teens NW to low teens NW midday which supports my hypothesis.

Thanks for the input.

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: