myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fastest board and sail combo
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rtz

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:34 pm    Post subject: Fastest board and sail combo Reply with quote

Is there one board and one sail that is hands down the fastest on the water?

For winds in the 20mph range; what is an unbeatable combo on the water? Or some of the fastest known boards and sails?
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 8:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastest board and sail combo Reply with quote

rtz wrote:

For winds in the 20mph range; what is an unbeatable combo on the water? Or some of the fastest known boards and sails?

No Wink

(But if you want to go fast you need a slalom board and cams. Or, if you are under 7.0/7.5 a serious RAF freerace sail, like a Point-7 ACX. In 20 mph, just 17 knots (why people use mph?) you should be on 7.3-7.8 depending on your weight. Other than that, any slalom board and any racy sail, it is all you: the pilot.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The fastest slalom combo will be slower than an easy freeride combo in the hands of a beginner.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And we have not even begun to discuss fins. Rolling Eyes

Coachg
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If there were, everyone would be on it, at least during that phase of his WSing career.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2019 11:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Fastest board and sail combo Reply with quote

Mr RTZ.

The fastest rig I ever rode was a Custom Erich Voight CFX and a 5.5 sailworks Retro. That combo just smoked, but it was a scary ride in good. wind. You're not going to find anything like that today. I also had a GEM
I think that was a Mark Green shape that was also smok'n fast, with a 6.5 V8. Nothing like that today.

Those were the fastest on the water for me.

-Craig

p.s. like Mike eluded, everybody goes through that phase on their way to something else with more turns.

rtz wrote:

rtz

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Let's talk about fins too.
kevinkan

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well then we might as well talk about technique and tuning, too... the fastest gear is slow with bad technique and bad tuning.

also, leverage helps for going fast. big power triangles, long limbs.

get your gear dialed and your technique down, and you will go pretty fast on anything.

for now, something that's relatively easy to control is likely going to yield good results. a good fin can make a huge difference in control and speed.

I had a Hawk 93 LTD that was pretty fast. LeeD gave me a carbon fin that was magic in that board. It was the most ridiculous looking fin, but that thing smoked. It was great until it snapped off at the base mid-jump.

Speed runs behind Brooks Island on starboard tack on my Falcon 101 & 7.0 was pretty fast too. Had a Vector Rockit Carbon 34cm that paired well for me.

Even my STB 85 w/ thruster fin setup feels pretty dang fast (and great control).

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's all about control. The fastest board and sail in 20+ winds will be crazy wild until one has the experience to stay in control. Slalom boards are fast, but ride rough in choppy or wavy water. Freeride boards with narrower tails and more V in the bottom are easier to control, smoother riding and probably faster for the intermediate sailor. Race sails have more control when overpowered, which is what one needs for max speed.
coachg

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2019 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rtz,

Water, like land, has different types of terrain and the fastest board is going to be a board built for that terrain. An old 1972 Toyota Pickup would crush a 2019 Formula race car in a race across a dirt field. Also, is your speed across the wind, up wind, down wind or fastest in all directions? So, as you see, you are asking an open ended question without context.

As stated earlier, speed is all about control. In order of importance you gain control by:

1. Technique
2. Tuning
3. Equipment built for the intended direction & terrain

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: