myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What is the cost of increased fires due to climate change?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Tue Nov 20, 2018 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might want to blame PGE & SCE before your stupid God of climate change. Native americans wrote a hundred years ago about these Santa Ana fires.

P.S. My son and I saved our home after 16 hours of fire tornadoes and a wall of fire. It took 600 homes in Malibu and 173 homes in my neighborhood. Thanks PGE & SCE. This had nothing to do global warming, and everything to do with improving infrastructure and clearing the forests. Govna Brown finally agrees. What a schmuck.schmuck
mat-ty

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuGuru wrote:
You might want to blame PGE & SCE before your stupid God of climate change. Native americans wrote a hundred years ago about these Santa Ana fires.

P.S. My son and I saved our home after 16 hours of fire tornadoes and a wall of fire. It took 600 homes in Malibu and 173 homes in my neighborhood. Thanks PGE & SCE. This had nothing to do global warming, and everything to do with improving infrastructure and clearing the forests. Govna Brown finally agrees. What a schmuck.schmuck

Glad to hear your home survived....what a mess it must be out there..
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2018 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow really glad you guys got off somewhat lucky, talk about a close call. I would have had a hard time leaving also, it's all in the way you have it set up, and if you're not around to stay on top of it, it might all be gone.
I say "somewhat lucky" because of what your neighborhood looks like now, and for years to come, it will be a construction zone.
But glad you guys made it.
mac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad that Bard's house survived. Not surprised that he took risks; happy he wasn't one of those plucked from a ridgetop by brave helicopter crews.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=toV6a09A3Ds

Not surprised that he still ignores science and searches for some institution to blame.

Quote:
Fires raging this autumn in California remind us of the increasing danger from wildfire in the age of climate change. While still reeling from tragedy, people wonder what can be done.

With daily reports of losses accumulating, this is not the time for blame. Unfortunately, while the suffering on the front lines could not be more tragic, our president — with no factual basis or grounding — tweeted on Nov. 10, “There’s no reason for these massive, deadly and costly forest fires in California except that forest management is so poor. ... remedy now, or no more Federal payments.”

In fact, the fires he referred to were not even in forests subject to government officials’ control but rather on private land and in brushy chaparral.

Yet the greater disconnect here owes to people who probably advise the president with widespread but misleading arguments that forests must be cut to prevent them — and our communities — from burning.

So, what can we do to diminish the threat of fires? And how can people from every walk of life and every responsibility come together and work toward solutions that make sense for all?

First, protect our houses with fire-resisting measures and create defensible space around them. This won’t stop the fires, and it won’t guarantee escape from damage, but good results are proven, and experts agree that this is the single most effective and affordable option to reduce losses. How-to tips are easily found.

Second, thinning the thickets of young trees that have grown in the wake of clear cuts characterizing commercial forest harvest for the past century can help when that thinning is done as buffers at the edge of communities, rural neighborhoods and roads strategically selected as firebreaks.

Next, we must protect from logging the mature forests that remain. These are where fires cool owing to old trees’ thick bark that’s comparatively fire-resistant; to large trees’ long boles, or trunks, that shed low limbs that would otherwise provide a ladder for flames to climb high; and to big trees’ shade that keeps the ground cooler and less filled with brush and young trees that are explosively flammable.

Old forests are not immune to fire, but in all but extreme conditions, they are less likely to burn intensely. Likewise, we must restore our forests to mature and less ignitable conditions where possible.

Onward, our local governments need to recognize fire hazard as a public issue, because fires are endangering public investments, firefighters, and established residents and communities. At a minimum, areas most prone to fire should be identified and prospective home builders warned about investing and living in harm’s way.

Ordinances should require protective measures for new development. Further, planning programs need to favor and facilitate development within established communities — which are more defensible — rather than allowing a continued trend toward scattered development in remote and indefensible fire zones.

Finally, we all need to recognize that the principal cause of intensifying fires is climate change.

Worsening wildfires are inevitable owing to warming temperatures, increasing drought and severely hot winds. Together, these create blazes overcoming any defenses we can muster and any type of forestry prescription one might imagine. The problem will grow until we reverse the trend of global warming.

The principal means of doing that is to move beyond a fossil-fuel economy and toward renewable energy sources.

No silver bullet is available, but it’s time to work together for long-term solutions that put vested interests and misinformation aside and engage in the future with new commitments, new determination, and new responsibilities to meet the challenges of a changing world.

Tim Palmer is a former land-use planner and the author of 26 books on nature and the environment, including “Trees and Forests of America.”
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting contrast- one person has the balls to take things in their own hands, and others expect the government to do everything for them. Kudos to Bard for walking the talk! I hear that most of the homes that survived were the ones where the owners fought the fires off themselves.
mac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, and put his son at risk too. Did you notice the truly brave people rescuing some of those who stayed in harm’s way?
mac

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take a look at what all burned. https://www.cnn.com/2018/11/21/us/woolsey-fire-malibu-california-burn-scar-trnd/index.html

1500 structures burned. Some folks think a single anecdote establishes a trend. Most of them know nothing about trends—or statistics.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My crystal ball was right.
real-human

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KGB-NP wrote:
Interesting contrast- one person has the balls to take things in their own hands, and others expect the government to do everything for them. Kudos to Bard for walking the talk! I hear that most of the homes that survived were the ones where the owners fought the fires off themselves.

Mr Trump can you back up your lies...

MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2018 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

KGB-NP wrote:

I couldn't stop my son. My wife told him I was dead. He drove at 120 mph to get here, broke police blockades, and grabbed an extra hose when he saw I was alive.

I wouldn't have asked him to come up. That was his hard headed decision. I'm proud of him. KGB, you're exactly right. The scope of the fire was so intense, there were no firemen. My wife begged them to come up, and only one brave fireman ran up, on his own to check up on us. He was very encouraging, but took off when the 2nd wall of flames came in.

The only houses that survived were protected by their owners.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 3 of 8

Jump to: