myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What is the cost of increased fires due to climate change?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 5:02 pm    Post subject: What is the cost of increased fires due to climate change? Reply with quote

Many conservatives scoff at the vital functions of government--until they are threatened by a fire, a flood, or some other hazard that governments were created to deal with.

The Butte County fire has essentially wiped the town of Paradise off the map, and it is the government, not private industry, that is fighting all of the fires throughout the west. People interested in public service are those that answer the bell--my brother-in-law broke his back smoke jumping in Oregon. So what does it mean?

The town of Paradize had a budget of $12.6 million for the current year. 41% of their budget came from property tax, 14% from sales tax, and 9% from temporary occupancy tax. Virtually all of those sources of revenue are gone until and unless the town rebuilds.

Paradise is in Butte County--one of those rural counties that votes red; Trump carried the county in 2016. The County budget is about $510 million, of which only $19.8 million is allocated to fire protection. How much will the fire cost> Too early to tell while it is still burning and making it unsafe to go outside as far south as Monterey. But billions is the early estimate.

Quote:
By GRACE DOBUSH 7:50 AM EST

The Camp Fire in Northern California and the Woolsey Fire in suburban Los Angeles continue to burn, with the death toll reaching 31 as weather remains dry throughout the state. More than 6,700 structures have been lost in the raging fires in California. The total cost to the state, insurers and homeowners is expected to top $19 billion.

Fire insurance was already an issue in California before the most recent blazes started. Premiums are on the rise for homeowners in areas at risk of wildfires, and some insurers are refusing to renew policies for people in danger areas. Insurers in California lost nearly $16 billion last year, four times their losses in 2016, reports insurance credit rating agency A.M. Best.

Annual insurance payouts (in 2018 dollars) surpassed the $1 billion threshold just nine times since 1990, but 2018 was going to be the such fourth consecutive year even before this month’s wildfires in California, Intelligent Insurer reports. The 2017 wildfires triggered nearly $16 billion in insurance payments, almost entirely from the fall blazes in California.
nw30

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's Trump's fault!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm actually missing those day of "It's Bush's fault!!!!!!".

Never mind rapid population growth in fire prone areas, that couldn't possibly have anything to do with the cost. I'm surprised at this post of yours mac...………… I take that back, no I'm not.

As for the death toll, not part of mac's new thread, it's easy to understand why so many died by looking at this pic. The winds were horrendous, worse than Malibu, look at how horizontal and flat the firestorm was, they had almost no chance. Paradise was located in about the middle of that ring of fire, Chico is to the left.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The wind is due to climate change......
mac

PostPosted: Mon Nov 12, 2018 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading comprehension continues to elude NW. I did not suggest it was Trump’s fault. What I wrote is that often people who profess to not need government help—take it, big time. Right over your head, eh smokie?
nw30

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 2:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In two short years, things changed just like that, so that's Trump's fire.
What an idiot!
Many people died, we don't even know how many yet, and you couldn't wait to put their blood on his hands.
You're worthless.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 5:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a crystal ball.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did Mac say it was "Trump's fault".

Since both NW and NP seem to scoff at Mac's suggestion that governments have not gone far enough in fire suppression, mitigatioln and protection I would ask both of them to enlighten us on what should be done to prevent deaths and destruction from fires such as this?

The fire that almost burned out the populated areas near my home started on private land and spread into the forest. The firefighting efforts were concentrated on saving houses, on private property, in the trees. Not to save the adjacent forest. The Trump declaration that the fires are because of environmentalist driven poor forest management would not have changed anything as far as the threat to homes here.

I'm not saying this is Trump's fault. But, he doesn't help advance the understanding of why these fires are becoming more dangerous.

IMO, the only way we will be able to reduce the potential for such horrific losses is by governmental actioln. These is my take away from Mac's comments.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

coboardhead wrote:
Where did Mac say it was "Trump's fault".

Since both NW and NP seem to scoff at Mac's suggestion that governments have not gone far enough in fire suppression, mitigatioln and protection

Say what? I'm "scoffing" that mac can't help himself to jump on every natural disaster, regardless of how fresh that pain may be to others, even one that most likely has impacted Steven, and his family. I could see it coming, and mac just couldn't help himself. He even had to create a special thread instead of keeping it in the climate change thread. Just take a look at the "author" column of the main page. Some people are just toxic, and can't help themselves.

Oh, and you made a spelling error.

mac

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reading comprehension escapes the nail pounder as well. Let me make it simple for you reactionaries. The government fights fires even in jurisdictions that vote against funding government adequately. The governments throughout the state will try to protect your house, even if your property taxes don’t pay enough to cover that protection. That is the fiscal story of wildlands fires in California and throughout much of the west.

NP and NW will continue to be too lazy to actually understand a government budget at any level, and will react with loathing to any attempt to educate them. Patterns set in high school seem to continue all of one’s life.
coboardhead

PostPosted: Tue Nov 13, 2018 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops

My bad. NP. I forgot that you really don't want to be involved in any conversations here except to make a dig at either Mac or Baja.

So. Do I have this right? Your response is that you don't like anything Mac has to say regardless of where he writes it?

Discussing how we reduce the potential for catastrophic fires honors those that have died and those that have lost everything. If you don't want to be in the conversation you don't have to.

BTW, I've never corrected anyone's spelling since I'm usually only this website on my phone catching a couple minutes waiting for traffic or between meetings or catching my breath after a hill climb. But, thanks for the constructive criticism anyway.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: