myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Carbon small grip booms
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpeter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:45 am    Post subject: Carbon small grip booms Reply with quote

Yes, this topic again, I have read all the previous threads.
I presently use Zbooms with 34mm measured diameter. I like them and even have a new one not yet assembled. Looking to buy a skinny for cold weather sailing with gloves.
Right now I see reasonable price on two units: Aeron carbon slim 24.5 (actual 28 I guess) and a RRD dynamic pro RDM.

from the pictures, the Aeron has a wider spread angle on the mast end than the RRD, The RRD looks like about what I am used to in that regard. Anyone using these ? Pro's and Con's of either ?

JP
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi JP, I have no experience with either the RRD or Aeron booms but did use the Goya 24.5 last summer on Maui and loved them!

https://www.bigwinds.com/goya-boom-super-skinny
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silly question: have you tried palmless mitts with dishwashing gloves under?
jpeter

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read that the Goya is made by Aeron, sure looks the same.
JP
cascade747

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Love my skinny grip booms. I have Chinook. It is amazing how much less pressure you need to grip. The stiffnesss, strength, lightness and easy rigging makes them well worth the price. I am waiting to see how they help in winter, my hands are the weak link when it gets cold.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the Chinook pro carbon booms. One standard and one new skinny for smaller sails. After sailing the standard boom, the skinny feels a bit strange. After sailing the skinny, the standard feels a bit strange. If I needed to wear gloves for cold or to protect my hands, I would go skinny. I see no down side to one unless you have big hands. I think a good carbon boom is worth the price either way.
jpeter

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ordered the aeron 24.5 boom, 589$ seemed like a good deal. Will have to try it with my 5/3 surf gloves, but I suspect the thin palm mitts will be the goto.
jp
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Oct 19, 2018 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update your findings.
I hate gloves. I have used the half mitts, and a snug fitting gardeners type glove, when necessary. I find the wind makes my wet hands cold, and any covering thats semi wind proof helps. I hate gloves

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
manuel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aeron, Goya, RRD, Simmer, etc are all aeron booms. Severne, Chinook, Neilpryde are different.

I used to sail with mitts often on big old school booms and it worked quite well!

I tried opened and closed designs. Poked some tiny holes at the ends so water would drain. The downside of wearing mitts was in transitions where we cannot spread and extend our fingers like with some other gloves.

The grip between mitts and boom I believe is more important than the diameter itself. Some grip more than others. Dakine mitts have such a thin grip, they work well until maybe their grip wears down?

In tennis, racquets are sold with precise grip diameter. We can often wrap extra grip over the original one. I wish diameters were more standardized in windsurfing.

Some grips can also be quite thick, it may protect our ribs from impacts but I like mine as thin as possible and have sanded some down. 1mm reduced thickness = 2mm reduced diameter Smile !

manuel

PostPosted: Sat Oct 20, 2018 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Aeron, Goya, RRD, Simmer, etc are all aeron booms. Severne, Chinook, Neilpryde are different.

I used to sail with mitts often on big old school booms and it worked quite well!

I tried opened and closed designs. Poked some tiny holes at the ends so water would drain. The downside of wearing mitts was in transitions where we cannot spread and extend our fingers like with some other gloves.

The grip between mitts and boom I believe is more important than the diameter itself. Some grip more than others. Dakine mitts have such a thin grip, they work well until maybe their grip wears down?

In tennis, racquets are sold with precise grip diameter. We can often wrap extra grip over the original one. I wish diameters were more standardized in windsurfing.

Some grips can also be quite thick, it may protect our ribs from impacts but I like mine as thin as possible and have sanded some down. 1mm reduced thickness = 2mm reduced diameter Smile !

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: