myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Formula fin choice
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

atlas.wave55 wrote:
Has anyone tryed foiling with a formula board? Seems like a good fit considering this board is wide short and light.

I've seen one formula sailor go out for the first time with a beginner foil on his formula board. He got some decent rides right away, with runs of maybe 200 feet within the first half hour. No bad crashes, either.
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do you reinforce the fin boxes on the fotmula boards or are they already strong enough?
Have heard of deep tuddle boxes cracking, but seems to be rare.they say, if God forbid it happens you can get it reinforced then.
The videos on foiling look really fun minus the first time crashes. When I get one I will probably put some protection on the lower mast.

Do you need more inboard straps in the front too or just the back. Could the chicken strap work?

Seems that foiling is the new trend theses days. And they keep on getting a bit more affordable for the average joe windsurfing.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Jul 22, 2018 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reinforce finbox? What do you think when you go from a 70 cm fin to a 90+ mast on your foil?
Strap move? You can always go strapless, you can adapt to wrong settings, or you can move the fronts a mere 2" inboard for full foot contact and rears around 3" for the same reason.
Wide boards work best with wide, hi aspect front wings, but if you ride kitefoils, you only need to position yourself more inboard and the mast more forward.
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2018 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perchased the rs:one foil today. Screws seem pritty short at 45mm long considering i us 70 OR 90mm long ones my formula fin and foil screw threads are a lot different, imperial?. The mast foil has a continuous thread compared to a barrel nut. Plan on using it with a formula board. Can not test it out until the weekend. Hope the screws are long enough! Hate to think they would sell you too small of a screw for your board considering the amount you pay. 

Has anyone had this problem before?
atlas.wave55

PostPosted: Tue Jul 24, 2018 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Found this link showing screw sizes for my board sb formula 162 2008.
http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/2018/fin-bolt-charts/

Seems I need a M6 85mm and a M6 100 mm screws. The ones I have are 90s I think but metric threading. The ones that comes with the fin are imperial 1/4-20 I think?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: