myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Long or short harness lines
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kevinkan

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I prefer long lines (32"). I'm 6'1", ride a high boom, and generally ride relatively track back compared to most people. Most of my sails also have a relatively high draft.

basically, i'm increasing the size of the triangle (although not sure why moving the uni back in the track benefits me). it also allows me to keep the rig upright and hike out at the same time.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
VinceSF

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kevinkan wrote:
I prefer long lines (32"). I'm 6'1", ride a high boom, and generally ride relatively track back compared to most people. Most of my sails also have a relatively high draft.

Basically, i'm increasing the size of the triangle (although not sure why moving the uni back in the track benefits me). it also allows me to keep the rig upright and hike out at the same time.

Kevin will ride a 4.4 when most people his weight will want to go 5.0 and above.
Part of the reason it is even possible is the fact he uses 100% of the sail power. that is due to the way the sail is built, the way he rigs it, but particularly the way it stands up. And that last one has to do with the way HE stands up (that triangle thing he mentions). In effect the lines length helps him achieve that.
So far from me from telling anyone how to ride, but the lines length will really help have a more efficient stance. Go ahead, use half or one full sail size bigger if you want, you big man you.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 07, 2018 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long or short matters very little as long as the powered up sailing stance is correct.
What is correct? Well, look at the stances of the best sailiors, and find a common denominator amongst an adaquate sample size.
fanatic989

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 1:47 pm    Post subject: Long or short harness lines Reply with quote

I'm 5'1" with shorter than average arms and a waist harness. Max harness line length for me is 22" in order to reach the boom. Would like to use longer harness lines, but don't have much choice, do I?
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Long or short harness lines Reply with quote

fanatic989 wrote:
Would like to use longer harness lines ...

Why?

Because somebody on Da 'Net says we should? There are too many factors involved and too many tall pros using shorter lines than you to take the internet's word for it.

A classic example was the endless (but POLITE and ON TOPIC) debate decades ago about whether the only way to increase mast base pressure is to walk forward and stand at the mast base. (Hint: it ain't.)
manuel

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From my observation, rarely see short lines (sub 28”) used in any form of professional competition. Women ride a higher hook and may need shorter lines. The riders I know using shorter lines tend to rig bigger and possibly have a lower boom, they seem to plane later despite the larger sail size.

From formula to high wind wave boards, I've always liked normal length lines, 30". Long lines for me are 32+. My requirements are to sail with straight arms with max power transfer through my legs to drive the board as hard as possible. I can slog hooked in while having (at least temporarily) my front foot in front of mast base. I don't think this was possible on my formula since I ride the boom higher (wider tail).

I would love to hear from short line riders to understand what they get from their setup.

dllee

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lots of sailors use lines much shorter than 28, and have no problems sailing at the most advanced levels. We don't all prioritize slogging while hooked in. If that is a major concern, then by all means use long lines.
konajoe

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is harness line length the total length of the line before you attach it to the boom? If so, the same length line can make different lengths of loops, depending on how far apart the attachment points are. I've seen everything from attachments next to each other, to as much as 2ft apart.

Also, the same harness lines attached at the same points can put different sailors in different body positions due to variations in sailor height, boom height, hook position, and rig rake.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jul 10, 2018 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manuel wrote:
I would love to hear from short line riders to understand what they get from their setup.

Simple: I can reach the booms.

Much more thorough summaries from many people are at your fingertips with the SEARCH button.
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Jul 11, 2018 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manuel,

Like most things in athletics there is not really a good or bad technique, just advantages & disadvantages to a technique. Harness line length is no different. I learned with short 20" lines & the advantages of that technique was that that it gave you a feeling of being suspended by the boom so it kept your feet very light. Your stance is more upright so you can bend your ankles better, it keeps you over the board so you have better control over jumps & it gives you a locked in feeling to your equipment. Again, not better or worse, just the way it was taught. Of course that was on smaller B&J equipment.

After I started racing & then moved into freestyle that changed over time & my lines migrated longer & longer but only because it was more favorable for me in what I was doing. If all I was doing was B&J I probably would not have changed.

Coachg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7

Jump to: