myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Why is the Planing Jibe the difference between beg and exp?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goodwind

PostPosted: Wed Jun 27, 2018 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

...but if you want to stay dry, you better learn how to jibe... Laughing
philodog

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Every day on the water I see extremely experienced Gorge sailors who look great on their reaches and stay dry for hours but who never plane through their jibes. It's just not a high priority with them, and they clearly couldn't care less what label others may apply to their skills.

If one is extremely experienced and can't plane through their jibes they are only extremely experienced at doing crappy jibes.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost every intermediate can look proficient sailing in a straight line.
Only advanced can look good on their jibes.
westender

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2018 11:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing an expert can do is, look at the water and know the right gear to rig without having to ask anybody else or check an electronic gizmo.
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 7:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

philodog wrote:
isobars wrote:
Every day on the water I see extremely experienced Gorge sailors who look great on their reaches and stay dry for hours but who never plane through their jibes. It's just not a high priority with them, and they clearly couldn't care less what label others may apply to their skills.

If one is extremely experienced and can't plane through their jibes they are only extremely experienced at doing crappy jibes.

Yes.

Most windsurfers find themselves stuck on plateaus from time to time. This is when lessons and or clinics can help move them/us forward. And of course there's "dry hair syndrome" where windsurfers have reached a certain level of proficiency, and care very much about looking "bad" (ie falling) so rather than press forward, they dig their heels (and board tails) in.

Show me a windsurfer who CAN plane through their jibes but consistently chooses not to because they don't find it more satisfying.

TheAdmiral

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I to am striving for a cleaner ,planning gybe. Live and sail in Florida and mostly use larger gear. I found I hold the gybe too long and flip the sail both late and slow. The board slows (due to lack of apparent wind) and I usually clew for exit. I'm 70 and booked an 8 day trip to Bonaire . So far looks like decent wind in July. Maybe I'll get the hang of a planning and plan to attempt a duct gybe or 2. Thanks, Mark
alap

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the biggest problem learning to jibe is that the practice time is very limited.
Say the reach is 5 minutes, so in an hour you can make 12 jybes max. Provided all jybes are successful and the wind cooperates on every jybe (no lull or crazy gust the moment you need to jybe)

and in 4 hour session (that is a good session, I must say) it is 50 jybes max.

compare this with 4 hours on the reach hitting cozillion chop moguls and enjoying every second

or compare with one ski run - like 300 turns?
coachg

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alap wrote:
the biggest problem learning to jibe is that the practice time is very limited.
Say the reach is 5 minutes, so in an hour you can make 12 jybes max. Provided all jybes are successful and the wind cooperates on every jybe (no lull or crazy gust the moment you need to jybe)

Ahh, there is your problem. Just because the reach is 5 minutes doesn't mean you have to go for 5 minutes before you jibe or tack.

Coachg
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I work/helped beginners/novices, I tell them that they need to make at least 10 tacks (beginners), and 10 tacks and jibes (novices) before they go on a reach of more than 25 yards. Repetition is the only way to improve. More falling and less fun, but a short learning curve is worth it.

The only reason to go on a reach for more than a minute to learn/practice a carve jibe is to make up any downwind loss because of the jibe.

For me in a 20+ mph wind, 105L board and 6.0 sail, a 5 minute reach means at least 2 miles. One jibe every 2 miles isn't practice.

Last edited by techno900 on Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
alap

PostPosted: Fri Jun 29, 2018 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coach this is true, I can cut it in half, may be, but then I'll be jybing in the middle in the choppiest place; plus those 2 minutes I'll be not sailing, but "sailing upwind", not to loose ground, which is very different. With full reach I enjoy every second of this free ride.

But still, even so, it will be 100 jybes max, not 50.

And if you fall on the jybe the waterstart takes from 10 seconds to couple minutes, depending on wind, and drains the energy if repeated.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: