myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tuttle Box Foil Failures

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outcast

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 11:00 am    Post subject: Tuttle Box Foil Failures Reply with quote

Would like any info or pics on Box failures

I have a Slalom board that i plan to reinforce for foil, and am handy with carbon/glass and foam.

My understanding is that it's often the topside that fails which makes some sense.

Alternatively i could rout a new divinycell reinforced box in, but then i would have a tough time going back to slalom set up.

Ideally( and i've done it....) would CAT scan the board to see where existing reinforcement is

So...would appreciate any failure pics or ideas where to reinforce....I was thinkng of dropping some vertical stringers (old carbon batten tubes) down the sides, and reinforce top with more cloth
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I asked Tinho about the hollow AHD 98NT formula board, he admitted that he hoped that of all boards would be fine given its construction. Nope. The hull started showing cracks on the bottom surface at the box's leading edge. Box reinforcement was designed for lateral torque generated by 70cm racing fins rather than huge vertical torque from the foil.

I'd guess that grinding down through the paint etc. and laying a full wrap or two of carbon to grab and distribute the box load would work.

I wonder how scanning your cat would help in any way Wink

joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

buddy had his Falcon LightWind re-enforced
this is what he said ...
"Box is unchanged, the structure around it has been beefed-up and the top of the box has been filled in so that the foil rests on 2 carbon columns."
thombiz

PostPosted: Sat May 19, 2018 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it were me, I'd use a deep tuttle box and reinforce the top and the bottom of the board equally well. Plus, I'd probably go with Waterat. It comes with foam in place and you could make it extra tough by adding 2 layers of 6 oz carbon on the Waterat then 1/4 in. of corecell then 2 more layers of 6 oz. carbon. In this application you don't want the sides of the box to fail and wrapping the Waterat as described would make it especially tough. The resulting wall thickness is what counts. The plastic tuttle would require similarly thick reinforced walls.

http://shop.fiberglasssupply.com/Sailboard_Mast_Fin_Box-4_75in_Flanged_Tuttle_Fin_Bo_1.html
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 12:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Tuttle Box Foil Failures Reply with quote

I added strap inserts and reinforced the deck on a JP Slalom 130/78. The original JP is built very light with only one layer of carbon over the rear.

Main trick is to send the top enough to have the reinforcement bind well to the box. I used 4 oz S-glass, two strips of increasing width over the box (and strap inserts) and than a large one over to the inserts and back. No extra hard foam. After almost one year of use everything seems to be fine. Very Happy

I would not really bother reinforcing the bottom because, other than a collision, there is not much down pull from the foil. And glassing the bottom would require a rather elaborate finishing job ...

IMG_0683.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.51 MB
 Viewed:  12117 Time(s)

IMG_0683.jpg

IMG_0675s.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  156.24 KB

IMG_0675s.jpg

IMG_0667.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  127.52 KB

IMG_0667.jpg

Last edited by dvCali on Sun May 20, 2018 7:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
dllee

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd double layer top and bottom and add 6 spider legs around the box.
outcast

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2018 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good stuff thanks folks!
dvCali, that's close to the setup I'm gonna do....Angulo 132 abd the NP foil is in the running ..You happy with it?
dvCali

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 2:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

outcast wrote:
Good stuff thanks folks!
dvCali, that's close to the setup I'm gonna do....Angulo 132 abd the NP foil is in the running ..You happy with it?

I built this for a friend and he is very happy with it. I used it once (!) and it would be big for me.

Only one thing: tt would be better to have more position choices for the straps. If I had to do it again, I might modify my isonic 111, I would use strips of 3 position inserts placed 90 degrees to the rail for both front and back straps.

img-r666103-1.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  6.7 KB
 Viewed:  11999 Time(s)

img-r666103-1.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: