myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
T.I. sailors
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gwarn

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 11:40 am    Post subject: T.I. sailors Reply with quote

We're fucked
gerritt

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a species? As a nation? As windsurfers? As windsurfers who are trying to launch from TI?

Perhaps you could include some information with your observation, so the rest of us might derive some benefit? I don't necessarily disagree with your observation. I'd just like to know whether I should.

Carry on.
tomg

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might relate to the broken sensor? Interpolate!
windsrf

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 2:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've found this season that interpolation isn't working very well. At least with respect to Berkeley sensor which continues to drop offline for hours at a stretch. The word is that iWind needs/plans to install an upgraded router - from 2G to 4G? But no commitment as to when that will occur. A lot can transpire between TI and HLS as it turns out. Same holds for using Royce or Pt. Isabel data. However, perhaps Crissy/Blunt data is more useful for TI?
David
johnarmitage

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So now there are three major bay area sensors down. This is a big reduction in service level. We should organize around an effort to push for repairs and/or subscription concessions until they are repaired.

For the core group of TI sailors, the local sensor is hugely important.
windsrf

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is the 3rd?
Good idea in any case.
tomg

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess I need to be more clear by what I meant by interpolation:

Step 1: Take the numbers from 3,4, 5 sensors in the Bay Area that you think are still reading accurately.

Step 2: Find the average.

Step 3: Calculate 50% of that number; add and subtract it from the average. This is your range.

Step 4: For an average adult with average abilities, the sail range will be 4.2 to 6.2. (on average)
windfind

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gang,

With only short notice AT&T announced they are phasing out 3G at many of the locales of our sensors nationwide. Cell towers can prioritize incoming traffic and may deny service to our 3G electronics during peak usage times.

We had already designed and manufactured the 4G replacement units and were in the process of installing them in sensors.

Unfortunately, we now have over 500 sensors that need 4G upgrades ASAP. So the sensor crews are flying all over the USA installing these upgrades. For each install location they have flight time, motel rental, car rental, ladder rental etc. issues to deal with. So it takes time to do all this for each sensor.

We are working as fast as we can but we only have a few trained crews who unfortunately need to sleep sometimes.

If you have never seen this video before... The last part really gives you an idea of what a sensor trip entails:

https://windnotes.smugmug.com/1-Videos-WindsurfKite/1-Gorge-Videos/i-CN8Fm92/A

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
Weatheflow.com
windsrf

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2018 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MIke,

Thanks for this helpful info/update. For the past month or so we've been told Berkeley iWind system is 2G, so there is also some discrepancy in info being conveyed.

For future reference, MUCH better to get out ahead of issue like this with a general announcement. Less fussing/angst and more "cut slack" might result.

Cheers, David
radross

PostPosted: Mon May 21, 2018 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike and the robo-response crew-

Unimpressed with the proffered excuses, so bumping this back up to the top where it deserves to be. Please let us know the date certain for the repair of the TI sensor.

Ross
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: