myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ok, I am going to bite the bullet and buy a foil, which one?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different game.
5 of the windfoilers are using Tillo foil boards.
The Starboard Team foiler is from LosAngeles, a light wind venue.
Have you windsurfed with Robbie? I have, at least 15 wave days and 4 Stroh's World Cups. Just because he can foil in 7_12 doesn't mean you can.
SergioKapul

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can foil 6-7 kn, I use 7 m2 sail, custom Tillo foil and foil board. Im light and I know light winds because I usually windsurf in light winds.
You are funny, I sailed last year during Miami foil open with AA, doesn't mean I'm at the same skill level or size for that matter😀
dllee

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And you can fully plane, go 3 mph faster, with a 7.5 meter correctly tuned for lightwind sail with a 80 cm wide Tillo slalom board and 52 cm tectonics phoenix fin, in 8-13 mph breezes.
You still need a gust close to 12 mph to initiate planing.
SergioKapul

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8-13 mph on a large slalom board too limiting, boring going back and forth... Formula, and now it's replacement foil, makes more sense to me
dvCali

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dllee wrote:
And you can fully plane, go 3 mph faster, with a 7.5 meter correctly tuned for lightwind sail with a 80 cm wide Tillo slalom board and 52 cm tectonics phoenix fin, in 8-13 mph breezes.
You still need a gust close to 12 mph to initiate planing.

I am not so sure why keep discussing low wind limits. Especially when claims and counter-claims are so difficult to verify.

Foil is obviously here to stay, just look at what happened with kiting. In placess like Crissy, even with its 15-25 knots, regular kiting is almost gone.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boring is in the eye of the beholder.
What about speed?
How about the feel of carving a jibe.
Foil can jump in 13 mph breeze, as can kiters, but the feel?
SergioKapul

PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The reason I posted, foiling is complex enough, giving advise you actually need to put serious time on foil, it's in a different dimension comparing even to formula, and definitely BOF slalom
walked48

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gvogelsang - I always use my local shop whenever I buy something new (which isn't often as used gear is more in my price range). I have bought a few things from Doug when I visit my inlaws in Forestville.

I am beginning to wonder if a foil is really right for me. The reason I want one is so that I can use smaller gear and have fun in lighter winds so that I am not as dependent on higher winds. I just want to enjoy myself whenever I go sailing.

I, like most people, can't drop everything whenever it's windy. I usually only have time on the weekend and it's limited even then. The wind where I sail seems to often be in the 9/10-12/13 knot range, but that's from a weather station on the break wall, so it's usually less than that until you are out there. I am not highly skilled so I can't easily pump onto a plane, I practice pumping but I am not yet proficient. I usually just wait until a gust and then head downwind sharply until I am planing then head back upwind once I am in the straps and harness.

I have a complete formula setup with an 11.7 but it's difficult to transport and rig. I know that sounds lame but I can get all my isonic gear in my vehicle with sails up to 9m. It makes packing much faster by putting everything inside as I am usually on a time restraint. I can't go that with the formula gear.

Maybe I should compromise; use the formula board more often but with the 9m and the carbon formula boom as it allows for a much deeper pocket as the clew is wider. That way everything except the board is in the car but I will plane more often than with the isonic?
scottybda

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay so I got a foil setup a month or so ago, when for the Starboard team package even though it's meant to be an advanced kit. I have been using it on my 12 year old Starboard free formula which I used to use my 10m NP RSS sail on it which was brutal to sail with and really hard on the body, rotator cuff etc!

What I have found so far is how quickly you adapt on the foil, I've been out maybe 12 times now and the thing just rips! I was sparring my buddy on his foiling moth and he was really surprised as there wasn't much in it and I'm using a no cam 8m freerace sail and still learning lots on it.

Last night was out and in the gybes I'm foiling into them with a short touchdown and back up again so might be in the month will be getting the odd foil to foil, who knows?

For me it's the most awesome thing, if you asked me 2 months ago I was a bit whatever about it, now I am sold! I don't think speed wise it's faster as the drag goes up as you go faster. I got up to 23 knots max last night in wind I'd have probably hit 25 knots on my Starboard 117 Isonic, but that is usually with a cammed race sail also.

Ultimately where it shines is going up and downwind, there is a whole new playground to explore and it's so easy and not hard work! Also you can glide through lulls and connect the gusts as it glides so well.

That's my take! Very Happy
scottybda

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2018 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are the sessions I have uploaded which were 2nd, 3rd and 4th times out. I'll have to get around to putting out the latest stuff when I get a chance.

2nd go
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=sitlZ3PQ4dI

high wind day
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=6mMG_rX2x4M

4th go using long fuselage first time
https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=TwsAj6rWto8
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5

Jump to: