myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hello all. It's been a while.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
davidcdanna8941

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2018 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looks exactly like this, minus straps.[img][/img]

looks like this.JPG
 Description:
 Filesize:  146 KB
 Viewed:  20361 Time(s)

looks like this.JPG

wsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Bic Techno 148 might do the trick for you. I have not tried it (yet) for foiling but was told the deep tuttle would work with a foil.
techno900

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2018 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't found the need for foot straps yet, then you really haven't been planing with moderate speed (20-25 mph). The little dagger board is good for beginners and the early novice stage, but it will get in the way if your goal will be to plane as much as possible. It's there to help keep upwind while slogging and learning.

100% of all windsurfers in the intermediate and up skill level have and use foot straps. If you keep at it, you will soon discover why. It will be even more obvious if you get a smaller, higher performance board in the 140-150L range.

Be aware, that for most of us that went through the same transition that you are experiencing, we went on to smaller and smaller boards. If you buy a 140L board and get 30 days on it, you will likely want another one around 110L down the road. This is all somewhat subjective since your drive, dedication, venues, wind, time, skill, finance, all play a role in your progression.
davidcdanna8941

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback. Gonna see about some straps.

That bic 148 techno sounds like a good board. Houston kiteboarding shop has the Slingshot wizard 125L for sale, it's a foil adaptable windsurfer. Is anyone keen on this board? It looks a bit short and stubby. Can't imagine it is very fast...
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Slingshot Wizard 125 is a foil specific board. I seriously doubt that it would work well using a regular fin. Like I suggested earlier, it would better for you to consider a more traditional windsurfing board that is properly reenforced in the finbox area for the potential use a foil, yet is designed primarily for use with a windsurfing fin.

Regarding your AHD Zen, you should immediately remove the center dagger fin and definitely add some footstraps. Moreover, I would highly recommend holding off getting a smaller board until you are comfortable planing using the outboard footstrap positions, and you are quite able move about upwind and downwind without the center dagger fin, especially in very light winds. Lastly, you need to learn to waterstart in both directions. These are important skills that will successfully pave the way in your transition to a smaller board. If you are actually prepared for the transition now, you will pick these necessary skills inside a few weeks.
skyking1231

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Any local windsurfers that have smallerish boards for you to try? They may want to sell.....there is always someone out there looking to sell used gear.

straps = control in higher winds...or planning conditions.....unless the water is like glass ( which is never).

Look for a freeride type of board....or freemove....
davidcdanna8941

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2018 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Copy, lose the center fin and get straps on the zen.

Can anyone recommend a good place to order some cheap foot straps or would I do better just trying to manufacture up my own? I'm working on a spare hookin harness that attaches to the boom for my other spare boom....(out of some laptop shoulder straps, rope and velcro) I might have enough material left for foot straps.

I am the only windsurfer I have ever seen in louisiana.

From the looks I get. I am the only windsurfer anyone else has ever seen either also....
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greetings Dave,

You should buy some straps. I'm not sure how "cheap" registers to you, but
$60 http://www.windance.com/Windsurf-Windsurf-Footstraps/ is likely.
If you could get to a swap somewhere, it'd be more like $30 for 3 straps.
If you call Windance they might tell you what's in their beater box.

These are cheesy, but if you're building your own harness, maybe you should have a look https://www.the-house.com/egstndrdnp18zz-epic-gear-footstraps-pads.html

Also, I may be misunderstanding, but while there have been a few
interesting attempts to design a hook over boom harness, the tried and true
method is harness lines attached to your boom, and your harness hooks into the lines. Those are actually something you could fabricate from
rope and plastic tubing, but .... what is your time really worth.

-Craig

p.s. the only windsurfer anyone has ever seen is a pretty cool distinction.

davidcdanna8941 wrote:
Can anyone recommend a good place to order some cheap foot straps or would I do better just trying to manufacture up my own? I'm working on a spare hookin harness that attaches to the boom for my other spare boom....(out of some laptop shoulder straps, rope and velcro) I might have enough material left for foot straps.

I am the only windsurfer I have ever seen in louisiana.

From the looks I get. I am the only windsurfer anyone else has ever seen either also....
windward1

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah. The only windsurfer ever seen in Louisiana. Sort of being like Big Foot or something.
swchandler

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2018 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually you are not alone windsurfing in Lousiana. I would suggest sending Darbonne a PM. He lives in Farmerville.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: