myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Exocet has an interesting foil board
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Move mast track forwards and raise boom equal amount. Set rear strap back. Now, when you start to pump, you can get into the rear strap, because you added rig weight forwards. Once planing, you can rake the sail back to lighten the nose so you foil up.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What foil are you using with the Jp foil board? I've seen a couple of the boards out foiling.
PCfoiling

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been thinking a lot regarding the Naish Thrust on wider boards and perhaps its not the best combo for the overall performance? I'm sure it will get you flying but the Thrust was designed around the 73cm Hover board and the new 77.5cm wide sounds perfect!

I use my Thrust on a 79 wide Slalom board in stronger winds! it prefers an upright stance, standing on top of the foil and front wing. I am going to start making changes to foot strap inserts and adding 2 x US fin boxes so I can dial it in even better.

The JP 135 and 155 boards seem to pair up very nicely with the F4 and Starboard foil. The F4 is much wider at the front wing so prefers a wider more traditional stance. Its not just the front wing, its the mast and fuselage length!

The mast on the F4 is longer and wider than the Thrust and I get this solid pressure feel in light winds, as soon as I pump the 135 on the slightest of gusts I foil up.

I have not tried the Thrust on the JP 135 yet mainly because the F4 is a perfect match.

I weigh 195 and was using a 6.7 V8 in light winds in this video

https://youtu.be/MMjZU3Ekpes

brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dean, I think you are right, but I to me the issue might be foot strap location, not necessarily the width of the board.

The JP boards have foot straps that are setup for their foils and very out board, and as you mention that is not the stance you have when you sail with the Naish Thrust.

The Exocet mentioned by the OP in this thread has more in board foot straps. They are still placed further apart than the current Naish board, but definitely more in board than the JP boards. The next Naish board will probably have more space between the rear foot straps, so closer to this Exocet strap location.

If you think about an hypothetical example where you put the straps exactly where they are on the Naish board on the Exocet board, I would think your stance would end up being exactly the same as on the Naish board, which would be very comfortable.

Then the questions would be does the extra width and float of the board get you going sooner or later.

Another question is would the Exocet board foot strap locations be comfortable or would they need to be moved in board more to match the Naish board.

I wish I knew the answer to these questions because if I did it would be easy to choose between the Exocet board and the Naish board.

I would assume the Exocet would have an advantage when trying to master an in air jibe. A skilled person could use either board, but a novice at air jibing like myself would benefit from more width. The width would even help with tacking too.

On the Seabreeze thread about the Exocet board one poster is complaining the straps are too far in for racing which could be right when using the F4 foil. My complaint would be the opposite, the strap holes might still be too far out for the Naish foil. It is really hard to tell without trying it.
grantmac017

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Apparently the carbon Exocet has a more outboard set of strap locations. At least from what I heard in one video.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

155. Kick it up with ultra rear strap, then move to conventional rear as speed and lift increases. IF we assume they knew something, the mastfoot placement should not be set either most forwards or most back.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On Formula boards with surf foils, use chicken straps.
PCfoiling

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryn, I think you should buy the Naish 77.5 then bring it over to Dallas so I can try it...haha!
coachg

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After watching the Naish video's I see he has the mast track placed same as me with the mast base almost covering the rear mast track. Robby has his back strap all the way back with the foil mast located directly bellow his rear foot. His front foot is directly over the front wing & his rear foot over the mast.

I also feel the Naish foil would not fare well with wide boards unless you had inside footstrap positions. Again, why put a wave fin on a slalom board?

Coachg
dllee

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2018 4:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JP 155 HAS chicken straps, possibly for wave foils?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6

Jump to: